Trek Emonda ALR 5 or Giant Defy Advanced 2

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

fredroad

by fredroad

Hello there,

I want to upgrade from my Defy Aluxx 105 (2013) and have narrowed down to two bikes.

Trek emonda ALR 5 disc full 105 hydro and the Giant Defy Advanced 2 105 mix and semi hydro giant connect disc.

I like the idea of carbon, but not sure about the super ugly giant connect disc break. On the other hand, the Trek frame is Aluminium.

Please can you share your thoughts and experiences? Is it better the full 105 disc with Alloy or carbon frame with 105 mixed group set? Many places mention good alloy can be as good as carbon.

Thank you.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

i would be more focused on the geometry than the minor difference in the components

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

fredroad

by fredroad

ChiZ01 wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 7:43 pm
i would be more focused on the geometry than the minor difference in the components
Hello. What about alloy Vs carbon frame?

dim

by dim

If you want disk, get a good used Giant TCR disk (carbon) with a good groupset and wheels .... Best Bang for Buck IMHO ... and if you have change, get a powermeter
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

fredroad

by fredroad

dim wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 pm
If you want disk, get a good used Giant TCR disk (carbon) with a good groupset and wheels .... Best Bang for Buck IMHO ... and if you have change, get a powermeter
Hello dim, thanks. I already have a propel and the TCR seems to have the exact same geometry, but the seat tube.

The new bike will be mainly to replace my commute bike.

Propel TCR
small small
seat tube 500 445
seat tube angle 73.5 73.5
top tube 535 535
head tube 130 133
head tube angle 72.5 72.5
fork rake 45 45
trail 60 60
wheelbase 970 970
chain stay 405 405
bottom bracket 68 68
stack 529 529
reach 378 378

dim

by dim

fredroad wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:04 pm
dim wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 8:56 pm
Hello dim, thanks. I already have a propel and the TCR seems to have the exact same geometry, but the seat tube.

The new bike will be mainly to replace my commute bike.

Propel TCR
small small
seat tube 500 445
seat tube angle 73.5 73.5
top tube 535 535
head tube 130 133
head tube angle 72.5 72.5
fork rake 45 45
trail 60 60
wheelbase 970 970
chain stay 405 405
bottom bracket 68 68
stack 529 529
reach 378 378
I was in a similar position as you ..,.. I always had a commute bike and a fast bike for quality rides (which spent most of the week in the garage)

one day, one of my client's (who has several expensive bikes), told me that all of a sudden he had very bad gout and that he was in pain when he cycled

he had/still has a custom Enigma titanium with Dura Ace Di2, Enve wheels, Chris King Headset etc which was his 'once a month' show off bike and now it is just an ornament in his study ....

he advised me to ride my 'best bike' as much as I can

so, I've taken his advice, and have bought the best bike that I can afford, upgraded the wheels etc, and ride it daily as my commuter aswell as for my quality fast long rides

(I also have very good insurance)
Im very happy using this bike for all rides

so my advice ..... take your spare cash, upgrade your bike and enjoy it as much as you can :D
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

fredroad

by fredroad

dim wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:53 pm
I was in a similar position as you ..,.. I always had a commute bike and a fast bike for quality rides (which spent most of the week in the garage)

one day, one of my client's (who has several expensive bikes), told me that all of a sudden he had very bad gout and that he was in pain when he cycled

he had/still has a custom Enigma titanium with Dura Ace Di2, Enve wheels, Chris King Headset etc which was his 'once a month' show off bike and now it is just an ornament in his study ....

so, I've taken his advice, and have bought the best bike that I can afford, upgraded the wheels etc, and ride it daily as my commuter aswell as for my quality fast long rides

so my advice ..... take your spare cash, upgrade your bike and enjoy it as much as you can :D
Thanks dim. I completely agree. I would upgrade if I had a disc frame, but for my commute I want to get a disc bike because of the wet days.

I see you have a TCR and Emonda, please can you share how they compare? Which one do you think is more comfortable?

I love the Propel ride and can happily ride for 4/5 hours, however I'm worried being too aggressive for my commute 14mi each way.

Cheers

Noctiluxx

by Noctiluxx

If this is to replace a commuter, why not a gravel bike like the Revolt? The Revolt is basically a carbon Defy with wider tire clearance. I just ordered the Revolt Advanced 0 and plan on using it for commuting, gravel rides, and long distance riding with 32mm tubeless tires.
Bianchi Oltre XR4, De Rosa SK Pininfarina, Trek Madone SLR, Giant TCR Advanced SL, Cervelo R5 Disk, Giant Revolt

dim

by dim

fredroad wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:21 pm
dim wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 9:53 pm

Thanks dim. I completely agree. I would upgrade if I had a disc frame, but for my commute I want to get a disc bike because of the wet days.

I see you have a TCR and Emonda, please can you share how they compare? Which one do you think is more comfortable?

I love the Propel ride and can happily ride for 4/5 hours, however I'm worried being too aggressive for my commute 14mi each way.

Cheers
Giant is sold (I need to ammend my profile)

I now only have 1 bike (the Trek Emonda SL6) .... has all the gadgets (Dura Ace Di, powermeter, good wheels etc etc), and I use it as my daily commuter and fast quality rides (80km / day plus longer rides on the weekends) ... it's not disc, but I use Kool Stop Dura 2 brake pads and have no trouble at all stopping in the wet .... I'm using Chris King hubs on HED Belgium Plus rims so they are not carbon .... I am planning on buying an extra wheelset (lightweight carbon tubular for occasional fast rides that have lots of hills)

how does it compare to the Giant TCR? .... The Giant TCR is a super bike but I'm faster on the Trek Emonda, especially on hills .... I'm feeling that I might need a slightly longer stem on the Trek, but I will be having a professional bike fit on the 12th of April to try and get the best fit possible

I'm still sad that I sold my Giant

so, my plan is to have 1 very good bike with the best components and more than 1 wheelset to cater for all weather conditions .... you don't need disc in the wet .... good alloy wheels with good brake pads are all that you need (unless you live in the alps)

If you are comfortable riding your bike for 4/5 hrs but are frightened to use it for a 14 mile commute, you are frightened of cars.... so get a hybrid or mountain bike for commuting
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

fredroad

by fredroad

Noctiluxx wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:44 pm
If this is to replace a commuter, why not a gravel bike like the Revolt? The Revolt is basically a carbon Defy with wider tire clearance. I just ordered the Revolt Advanced 0 and plan on using it for commuting, gravel rides, and long distance riding with 32mm tubeless tires.
I didn't know about the Revolt. I will check it. Thanks

fredroad

by fredroad

dim wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2019 10:48 pm
I now only have 1 bike (the Trek Emonda SL6) .... has all the gadgets (Dura Ace Di, powermeter, good wheels etc etc), and I use it as my daily commuter and fast quality rides (80km / day plus longer rides on the weekends) ... it's not disc, but I use Kool Stop Dura 2 brake pads and have no trouble at all stopping in the wet .... I'm using Chris King hubs on HED Belgium Plus rims so they are not carbon .... I am planning on buying an extra wheelset (lightweight carbon tubular for occasional fast rides that have lots of hills)

how does it compare to the Giant TCR? .... The Giant TCR is a super bike but I'm faster on the Trek Emonda, especially on hills .... I'm feeling that I might need a slightly longer stem on the Trek, but I will be having a professional bike fit on the 12th of April to try and get the best fit possible

I'm still sad that I sold my Giant

so, my plan is to have 1 very good bike with the best components and more than 1 wheelset to cater for all weather conditions .... you don't need disc in the wet .... good alloy wheels with good brake pads are all that you need (unless you live in the alps)

If you are comfortable riding your bike for 4/5 hrs but are frightened to use it for a 14 mile commute, you are frightened of cars.... so get a hybrid or mountain bike for commuting
Your bike sounds impressive.

I already cycle to work, so the cars are not a problem. Some weeks I do get tired towards the end of it and I'm wondering if an endurance geometry would be better.

Thanks for your comments.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dim

by dim

have you considered an Audax style bike?

I have many friends who use these as their daily commuter 12 months of the year, aswell as long audax rides.

Add a decent lightweight wheelset (tubeless ready), Dynamo hub, dynamo lights, mudguards, decent saddle, panier rack or bike bags, decent wider tyres (28mm or 32mm or wider) and you have a really good commuter/all purpose bike

you could even buy an older used good rim brake bike such as a Trek 520:

or similar:

Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand