anybody go to 28mm tires, and NOT like the switch?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Having just started racing this season, primarily on 25s measuring 27mm on my deep wheels, and recently 28s measuring 31mm on my shallow wheels, I can safely say I prefer the wider tires for everything short of perfect tarmac and/or time trial situations. I do not get the "Cadillac" comments at all. The only time wider tires feel like a Cadillac to me are when we're just riding straight in a pack and making slight corrections. I find that stability desirable. Cornering on technical descents? The wider tires are vastly superior. Any minor imperfections in the road? The wider tires soak them up. Big potholes? I snakebite punctured the casing of my 25mm GP5K TL, ending my stage race. I bet the 28mm Mavic Yksion Pro UST would have survived.

by Weenie

jih

by jih

As a counter-point, I had to take a wheel from support recently - a very rare thing indeed, 17c rim and a 23mm @100psi tyre that actually measured 23mm on the bike.

And, since we were on smooth roads, it was totally fine. Not problematic in any way. For the roads I ride on 90% of the time, would sooner have my 25mm tyres that come up at 27.5mm mounted though.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

I just went from 700x35 to 27.5x2.1 on my gravel bike. I literally have xc tires on it. Love it as it is comfortable (24 or so psi), and likely loses little on the gravel. Sure it is slower on the roads... but that is why i have a road bike.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

A 7 hour ride last week that included a long stretch of rough French pavent convinced me to try 28mm tires. I previously had the 25mm Vittoria Corsas (26.5 measured at 80psi) and I purchased a set of 28mm versions of the same tire. The 28mm Vittoria Corsas measure out to a true 28mm at 60psi. I run them on DT Swiss PRC1400 wheels (18mm internal/25mm external).

I did a short ride during lunch today on a loop I do very regularly and these are my first impressions:
-there was a noticeable increase in comfort. Cracks and bumps seem to be dulled out on the 28mm tires.
-climbing is 100% identical between the 25mm and the 28mm
-descending through corners feels more planted on the 28mm tires
-there's no discernable difference in braking although I haven't really pushed the limits of either tire width
-there's no difference in acceleration, not with my fitness level at least

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

jih wrote: ↑
Wed Apr 17, 2019 1:11 pm
As a counter-point, I had to take a wheel from support recently - a very rare thing indeed, 17c rim and a 23mm @100psi tyre that actually measured 23mm on the bike.

And, since we were on smooth roads, it was totally fine. Not problematic in any way. For the roads I ride on 90% of the time, would sooner have my 25mm tyres that come up at 27.5mm mounted though.
Weigh the pros and cons of wide tires. You gain cornering/descending confidence, a significant improvement in comfort and puncture protection (thanks to lower psi.) You lose almost nothing in real world rolling resistance and just a tiny bit in aero drag. Here in NorCal every road race is in the boonies on roads that haven’t been repaved in probably two decades. Even on seemingly perfect roads you sometimes run over detritus or a freshly eroded pothole. I won’t be buying deep rims narrower than 30mm from here on out except for whatever will end up on my future TT bike.