2019 Sram Force ETAP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

markyboy wrote:
Sat Apr 06, 2019 7:31 am
Whats all the thing with the cassette that you can only fit it to a certain hub?
If i were to get the part group i would buy a normal chainset and 12 speed campag cassette so that i could fit it on to a normal free hub.
The XDR freehub body.

Also re: Campy cassette...not going to happen. The cog pitch and tooth profiles are different enough to prevent 12spd Campy from working with 12spd eTap AXS. 12spd Campy may have a better chance of working badly with Eagle AXS in a 1x setup.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

talltales

by talltales

markyboy wrote:
Whats all the thing with the cassette that you can only fit it to a certain hub?
If i were to get the part group i would buy a normal chainset and 12 speed campag cassette so that i could fit it on to a normal free hub.
That would not work. You need a wheel with a XDR body and otherwise a complete AXS roadsetup, or it wont work. Depending on your perspective, this is either good or bad. It precludes most of the flawed hodge podge setups that ship on so many bikes, but it sure comes at a price.

wingguy

by wingguy

markyboy wrote:
I know what you mean, but it’s kinda funny that most people would already need to buy a new free hub body to fit a campaign cassette to their wheels, just like you would need to buy a new free hub body to fit an AXS cassette to your wheels.

Gary71

by Gary71

From a different angle - it't been 3 years or something on...., and I still can't stand the look of the SRAM hydraulic hoods. I have groupsets from all 3 major manufactures……, so I don’t think I’m wedded to any of them. But when it comes to a disc groupset, I can only bring myself to invest in the Shimano Disc option - and only the Di2 version at that.
Call me vain, but the bike could and should also be a work of art (especially if it’s your top draw bike). I would have thought they could have improved/refined the hydraulic hoods during that time.
And yes - I think the Red AXS crank looks like shitte !

Sorry - rant over

m66

by m66

Gary71 wrote:
Sun Apr 07, 2019 4:28 am
From a different angle - it't been 3 years or something on...., and I still can't stand the look of the SRAM hydraulic hoods. I have groupsets from all 3 major manufactures……, so I don’t think I’m wedded to any of them. But when it comes to a disc groupset, I can only bring myself to invest in the Shimano Disc option - and only the Di2 version at that.
Call me vain, but the bike could and should also be a work of art (especially if it’s your top draw bike). I would have thought they could have improved/refined the hydraulic hoods during that time.
And yes - I think the Red AXS crank looks like shitte !

Sorry - rant over
As a long time SRAM only rider, I completely agree. Not only the look, but the feel of them as well. I was really hoping the 2nd gen eTAP would improve upon this, but it's more of the same. Having just set up a Di2 9170 for a teammate, I couldn't find any flaws in it, and nothing about the AXS Red or Force has leapfrogged what Shimano is offering.

MAsshole

by MAsshole

Yeah I don't get how SRAM hasn't managed to figure out how to make hydraulic hoods more aesthetically pleasing.

My shop owner had an interesting theory. He said Shimano told him the redesign for hydraulic hoods was the most R&D intensive thing they've done in a while and that the patents surrounding the design are ironclad. As a result, SRAM hasn't (can't?) do a redesign without potentially infringing upon those patents.

wolfesquire

by wolfesquire

Hmm, I will stick to my 6870.....maybe, just maybe upgrade to R8070, but SRAM is money hungry.

thue

by thue

Is there someone out there who have tried the new AXS 12-speed groupset with the "old" 11-speed chain rings?

The uppgrade kit is affordable, but if I can't use mye old crankset it is toooo expensive ...

ichobi

by ichobi

It doesn't work that way. Nothing in AXS system is backward compatible, except the battery.

photocycler

by photocycler

I also agree with the looks of the hoods, I will say the darker black force looks really good. Being a long time Shimano guy wanting to move to wireless, I considered this group until I saw it weighed almost a leaving now more than Ultegra. Think I’ll be sticking with Shimano and going Di2

rollinslow

by rollinslow

thue wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm
Is there someone out there who have tried the new AXS 12-speed groupset with the "old" 11-speed chain rings?

The uppgrade kit is affordable, but if I can't use mye old crankset it is toooo expensive ...
Yep, doesn't work like that. You can just throw your perfectly good crank in the ocean or landfill. After some good use, you can also throw the AXS crank in the landfill (or ocean if that's your preference) too rather than just get new rings for it since disposable is the new SRAM philosophy.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

MAsshole wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 2:06 pm
Yeah I don't get how SRAM hasn't managed to figure out how to make hydraulic hoods more aesthetically pleasing.

My shop owner had an interesting theory. He said Shimano told him the redesign for hydraulic hoods was the most R&D intensive thing they've done in a while and that the patents surrounding the design are ironclad. As a result, SRAM hasn't (can't?) do a redesign without potentially infringing upon those patents.

SRAM levers also require a radio and space for a CR2032. This necessarily takes up volume somwhere on the lever body. In addition SRAM’s contact point adjustment system is superior to what Shimano offers and the mechanism also takes up volume.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

thue wrote:
Mon Apr 08, 2019 6:35 pm

the road AXS is the most proprietary groupset currently, you cannot even use 12 speed eagle chain

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I saw a build with 11spd chainrings but did not ride it. All I did was backpedal the cranks and I noticed no compatibility issues. That’s not to say problems won’t crop up under load.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

There's a lot of talk about the incompatibility caused by the different roller diameters but does anyone know the actual size difference?

Sent from my SM-G975F using Tapatalk