2019 Sram Force ETAP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

My riding buddy got a new Tarmac with Force AXS. When riding behind him I noticed a loud chatter from the cassette. His prior bike had a Red 10 speed group with the Xdome cassette and I never noticed any noise with that bike. The Force cassette is made with pinned cogs. I wonder if the cassette construction has to do with the noise.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk

XaeroZero

by XaeroZero

Does anyone know what approx lifespan on Force/RED Chainrings (2x, 1x) ?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 3:49 pm
My riding buddy got a new Tarmac with Force AXS. When riding behind him I noticed a loud chatter from the cassette. His prior bike had a Red 10 speed group with the Xdome cassette and I never noticed any noise with that bike. The Force cassette is made with pinned cogs. I wonder if the cassette construction has to do with the noise.

Sent from my KFMAWI using Tapatalk
It's been posted that warranty replacement for noisy cassettes or chainrings is often done with Red parts.

RedbullFiXX

by RedbullFiXX

XaeroZero wrote:
Fri Jan 24, 2020 11:07 pm
Does anyone know what approx lifespan on Force/RED Chainrings (2x, 1x) ?
15,000mi on my etap Red system
So far the cassette shows minimal signs of wear, moreso on the chainrings
Funny thing is, feels like it's just seating in, as the shifts are great, and it's quietest the drivetrain has been since new :noidea:
Cyclocross, in general, is about riding the wrong bike for the conditions.

hoosierdaddy

by hoosierdaddy

CD34C620-FFA6-4F75-928C-DEC1EC43A1EC.jpeg
I've had quite a bit of trouble getting my setup right. Have taken my bike to the shop I purchased it from around 10 different times to fix the chain-drop problem. I've dropped this chain at least 100+ times in the past 6 months. After taking it there that many times and still having a chain-drop problem, I dropped it off and told them to start a warranty claim.

They kept the bike, didn't file a warranty claim, and said they put a lot more effort into getting the shifting right, but I picked it up and the chain dropped twice in the parking lot. I called around to find somewhere that has experience with AXS and took it to a shop 1.5 hours away from me, they have it working great now. No drops to report after 1000km of riding.

The thing I'm upset about is the damage to my bike. Should the shop that lollygagged and didn't put any effort into my bike be responsible for fixing the damage to it? I don't know how to broach this issue with them and what I should expect if they're willing to make this right.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Take it to specialized or the other shop and explain the full story, ask them to warranty claim it for you.
I had a similar issue where one shop wouldn't even file a claim with Cervelo saying that "there is no way they are going to warranty that" and the second shop I brought it to warrantied it for me without an issue. I wouldn't trust a shop that can't adjust a front derailleur to file a warranty claim.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

hoosierdaddy wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 am

I've had quite a bit of trouble getting my setup right. Have taken my bike to the shop I purchased it from around 10 different times to fix the chain-drop problem. I've dropped this chain at least 100+ times in the past 6 months. After taking it there that many times and still having a chain-drop problem, I dropped it off and told them to start a warranty claim.

They kept the bike, didn't file a warranty claim, and said they put a lot more effort into getting the shifting right, but I picked it up and the chain dropped twice in the parking lot. I called around to find somewhere that has experience with AXS and took it to a shop 1.5 hours away from me, they have it working great now. No drops to report after 1000km of riding.

The thing I'm upset about is the damage to my bike. Should the shop that lollygagged and didn't put any effort into my bike be responsible for fixing the damage to it? I don't know how to broach this issue with them and what I should expect if they're willing to make this right.
why wouldn't you try to protect it.. knowing you had an issue is beyond me. I hope they replace it for you because that is terrible.
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

hoosierdaddy

by hoosierdaddy

spdntrxi wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 1:49 am
hoosierdaddy wrote:
Tue Jan 28, 2020 12:24 am

why wouldn't you try to protect it.. knowing you had an issue is beyond me. I hope they replace it for you because that is terrible.
Most of the notable damage happened within the first 2 weeks of having the bike. I pretty much ride 1x anymore and have been riding my CX bike for most of the off-season. If outside with this, I avoid FD shifts, I thought having a chain-catcher installed would fix the issue entirely but I still had drops after that. At the shop, they told me to put some clear nail polish over it.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Your front shifter is setup wrong. You need to get it taken care of asap. I would watch the drama video and do it yourself
Ride fast Take chances

sychen

by sychen

Alexbn921 wrote:Your front shifter is setup wrong. You need to get it taken care of asap. I would watch the drama video and do it yourself
What's under rated is restarting from default settings/adjustments (aka out of the box set up) and starting from scratch (pun not intended).

Had a mates rear do all sorts of weird shit.. Shop kept adjusting with things getting no better..

I took it and returned the cables and all screws back to original positions and set it up as new. Problem solved.

Sometimes these shops stuffs up the first install and just "fixing" it makes it worse, Not better.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

Hapatron

by Hapatron

Hapatron wrote:
Sun Jan 12, 2020 11:46 am
Small update.
My LBS swapped my cassette from Force to Red as I wasn't happy at all with the Force and now it's dead silent. So, it's the force cassette that's at fault.

One more thing:
When changing the cassette I also changed to a new chain so that they would wear togheter, but on the trainer I'm now experiencing heavy "rumble and vibration" when applying force to the pedals; higher watts = more vibration. When testing the bike out on the road it's silky smooth. Is this because of the new chain and "old" chain-set?
The noise can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNISmvPT5_M - note it's even more noticeable when on the bike and the vibration is quite heavy on the pedals.

Anyone have experience with this? The trainer is a Wahoo Kickr Core
This still hasn't been resolved -- still there's vibration and rumbling coming crom the chainset. Are anyone here using SRAM Force Axs on their trainers? On the stand it sounds just fine.

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Hapatron wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:30 pm
Hapatron wrote:
Small update.
My LBS swapped my cassette from Force to Red as I wasn't happy at all with the Force and now it's dead silent. So, it's the force cassette that's at fault.

One more thing:
When changing the cassette I also changed to a new chain so that they would wear togheter, but on the trainer I'm now experiencing heavy "rumble and vibration" when applying force to the pedals; higher watts = more vibration. When testing the bike out on the road it's silky smooth. Is this because of the new chain and "old" chain-set?
The noise can be heard here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QNISmvPT5_M - note it's even more noticeable when on the bike and the vibration is quite heavy on the pedals.

This still hasn't been resolved -- still there's vibration and rumbling coming crom the chainset. Are anyone here using SRAM Force Axs on their trainers? On the stand it sounds just fine.
I always have to a small amount of adjustment when moving bikes on trainers, I do with my Force AXS bike, it's also the same when swapping wheels the spacing on the hubs and freewheels is just slightly different, usually a couple of micro-adjustments sorts it out...

Hapatron

by Hapatron

crlincoln wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 5:22 pm
Hapatron wrote:
Sat Feb 08, 2020 4:30 pm
Hapatron wrote:
Small update.

One more thing:

I always have to a small amount of adjustment when moving bikes on trainers, I do with my Force AXS bike, it's also the same when swapping wheels the spacing on the hubs and freewheels is just slightly different, usually a couple of micro-adjustments sorts it out...
Yeah, no, that's not it; I've tried all micro adjusts. The sound is coming from the chainset, kinda lika a "wosh, wosh, wosh" sound when pedalling.

Toybus

by Toybus

Hi everyone,

I just bought a 2020 Robaix pro (SRAM force etap ax's) and I have the same issues that have been mentioned here. I wish I would have found this post before I purchased the bike:( so far it seems the cassette is the culprit? To me it seems like it's that new style of chain, when listening to try and isolate the noise it seems to be coming from everywhere along the drivetrain. As has been mention my main concern is the vibration, loss of efficiency and possibly of chain loss. Any input would be great

Kirk

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

I would remove the chain and soak it in degreaser. The stock lube is way too thick, making most of the noise.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com