2019 Sram Force ETAP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

akdmx wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 10:40 pm

I suspect the difference is mostly in the chainrings

I think most of the weight difference is in the crankarms themselves. I remember seeing a YouTube video where they weighed both the Force and Red cranksets, then attached the red crankarms to the Force spider+chainrings and it was barely any heavier than the Red chainrings.

e: Found it. https://youtu.be/Ha-AH7ha4I0?t=1012

Force crank 46/33 chainrings/spider only 13g heavier than Red chainrings. Not sure about the 48/35, assuming a couple more grams difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

damond

by damond

Alexbn921 wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:56 pm
ooo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm
force axs etap rear derailleur - is it compatible with flat bar eagle axs shifter?
Yes. All axs electronics are compatible. The road chain has bigger rollers and is not compatible with eagle cassettes.
That's not true! I have a friend who tests stuff for Sram and i have seen him riding a red axs chain on a mtb 1299 eagle cassete.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Lots of stuff "works", but I would highly recommend running the chain to match the rear cassette. In the front you will need to have a compatible single ring too, but the options here are more varied. For doubles there is only Sram AXS if you want any kind of decent performance.
Ride fast Take chances

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Coincidentally it looks like Toms Skujins and perhaps some other Trek-Segafredo riders are running a Red cranks with a Force spiders and special chainrings. AFAIK Force doesn’t come in larger than 48/35t, but those look like 50/37t (perhaps even larger)
Attachments
CFB56EB5-8F08-4E79-9EA5-2C6D37EDEAF1.jpeg

Discodan

by Discodan

Alexbn921 wrote:
ooo wrote:
Thu Jul 04, 2019 3:31 pm
force axs etap rear derailleur - is it compatible with flat bar eagle axs shifter?
Yes. All axs electronics are compatible. The road chain has bigger rollers and is not compatible with eagle cassettes.
Bear in mind the actual difference in roller diameter is 0.2mm, I suspect it’s more of a marketing point and ability to lock in a closed system rather than a meaningful engineering difference. It seems plenty of people are using them together fine in the real world

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

andrey

by andrey

Does anybody try or listen about riding Rotor 11-39 cassette with Force AXS RD? Will it work?

Looking for 1x12 setup for road bike, but 1 x 10-33 pretty narrow for my task

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

andrey wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:36 am
Does anybody try or listen about riding Rotor 11-39 cassette with Force AXS RD? Will it work?
If it is even possible to get the derailleur spaced far enough out to clear the 39T cog (either by a massive B-screw or a hanger extender like the RoadLink) it'll probably shift badly on the smaller end of the cassette. Seems like a safer bet to go with one of the Eagle AXS rear derailleurs if you ask me?

Personally I'm hoping Sram will release some medium capacity cassettes say 10-37T and rear derailleurs which are still compatible with two rings up front. Here at home I have no issues running a 10-26T cassette, but even with a 10-33T and 1:1 ratio (46-33T up front) it was really though for me to getting up Passo Giau…

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

andrey wrote:
Fri Jul 12, 2019 7:36 am

Looking for 1x12 setup for road bike, but 1 x 10-33 pretty narrow for my task
39 is too big for the derailleur. It won't follow the profile of the cassette and would require a link extender or extra-long screw. I'm not sure about the spacing either.
Ride fast Take chances

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26350 ... nrings?amp

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

VTR1000SP2

by VTR1000SP2

Nefarious86 wrote:https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26350 ... nrings?amp

Imagecheers for the link.. good to know

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Focus Izalco Max - 4.84kg without pedals
Cervélo Áspero - 8.28kg
Trek Madone SLR Rim - 7.73kg
Standert Triebwerk Disc - 8.47kg

akaspin

by akaspin

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 12:16 pm
https://road.cc/content/tech-news/26350 ... nrings?amp

Very interesting what size is the inner chainring?

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Now that I have some time on the Force AXS group I wanted to share my thoughts.
My setup is full Force, 10-33 cassette and 175mm power meter crank with custom 33/48 chain rings. It’s installed on a 2017 61cm S-Works Roubaix.

I absolutely love the range! 33-33 makes climbing steep hills a joy. There is no noise at either end of the cassette and the 48-10 helps blasting down the same hill. Shifting is fast and for the most part seamless. Having the gear indicator on my Garmin is super nice as I never need to look down and see gear changes I didn’t feel. Synchro shift works perfectly and is easy to toggle on or off with the press of a button. The front change + 2 rear shifts are a little clunky as you would expect, but it is exactly the shifts you want/need for the next gear. It’s easy to keep track of when it will shift so you can plan for it. I turn it off for small ring 1 hour long climbs and turn it back on at the top.

Front shifts are a 2 stage affair with a push-push motion that guides the chain up or down more than forces it. Seems to work fast enough and I haven’t had any problems. There is no feel at the lever like mechanical systems. It’s taken a little bit to get used to that.

Rear shifter is fast and unremarkable. It just shifts and does it when you push the buttons. Click-shift, no fuss. The clutch seems to work as desinged too, no chain slap or noise on rough roads.

Shifters have a great feel with tactile feedback and I really like the single button on each side arrangement. 1 go faster and 1 go slower. Very elegant. Ergonomics are very good with comfortable hand positions and no annoying pinch points or sharp edges. I have set the max number of shifts from a button hold to 3. It’s nice to dump 3 gears and know that it is exactly 3 when you are slowing for a corner at high speed. Shifting and braking are taking some new techniques. With Shimano mechanical I could dump gears with my right hand while braking and it was a smooth transition. This is more of a shift, then brake, but I’m getting better at it.

Garmin integration has gear, battery, power and cadence. All work as they should. Gear front/rear is my favorite feature. It’s nice to know that I have 1 or 2 shifts left up or down and it makes the auto front shift easy to keep track of.

Installation was so easy it was comical. Push the button to pair and bolt it on. Setup guides where well written and all adjustments work exactly how they are supposed to.

Hydro brakes came pre-bleed, but my frame need internal routing and cut for size. Running stock 160/160mm. Bleed was easy with the pro kit. Took my time and only had to bleed the levers. Feel and modulation was okay with no free play. I adjusted them to about the same free play as my old brakes and feel improved dramatically. Still getting used to the extra power and lighter force required. They make me giggle with how fast they slow me down. Every time I test them, I can’t help smiling that they have so much more to offer as soon as I learn their limits. You want to slow down yesterday, well okay then. :thumbup:

There is some very slight noise on a couple of gear combo in the middle of the cassette and I am still fine tuning the system to get that sorted. It’s really nothing, but if I’m trying to find any little things this would be something. :noidea:

Big thumps up from me. 8 out of 10 with -1 for price and -1 for weight. :beerchug:
Last edited by Alexbn921 on Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Ride fast Take chances

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Alexbn921 wrote:Now that I have some time on the Force AXS group I wanted to share my thoughts.
My setup is full Force, 10-33 cassette and 175mm power meter crank with custom 33/48 chain rings.
Did you just buy the 33 chain ring and install instead of the 35? I presume no issues with FD? have wondered about this...

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

crlincoln wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Did you just buy the 33 chain ring and install instead of the 35? I presume no issues with FD? have wondered about this...
Yes. This and the power meter are the main reasons I went with Force over Red. The difference in size is very small and the FD has no issues with clearance or shift quality. Also the RD has plenty of capacity for the extra range. FYI I never use the bottom half of the cassette with the small ring, but you could.
Ride fast Take chances

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

crlincoln

by crlincoln

Alexbn921 wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 8:04 pm
crlincoln wrote:
Sat Jul 13, 2019 6:41 pm
Yes. This and the power meter are the main reasons I went with Force over Red. The difference in size is very small and the FD has no issues with clearance or shift quality. Also the RD has plenty of capacity for the extra range. FYI I never use the bottom half of the cassette with the small ring, but you could.
Yep, running similar setup, in small chain ring, use top 5-6 gears and that’s it.... will have to try this setup... sounds interesting especially running 10-28 cassette..