2019 Sram Force ETAP

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

zinedrei

by zinedrei

I wonder what Shimano is going to do with the new 12sp groupset.
most probably the same with the mtb version which has it's own freehub body as well.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Sram changed everything on purpose. The freehub was necessary because of spacing and the 10 tooth. The electronics use a better, more secure protocol that hopefully they will stick with for some time. All axs are compatible and the list of devises is growing. I expect Cross/Gravel rear setups soon.

Chain, cassette and front ring interactions are very important to shift quality. Shimano has had this nailed for years. If Sram didn't make it only 12 speed, then people would mix and match messing up the shifting. This is their way of insuring a better experience. The system is new, and the rollout was well executed with force dropping right away.

It's expensive and introduces new standards. This sucks, but almost every increase in cogs has brought about change. Second generation stuff tends to live a bit longer than first. Shimano has changed Di2 too. Overall, I feel Shimano shifts better and has a better build quality, but they are constantly late to the party. It will be at least 2 years before you can buy a 12 speed Shimano road group.

The price for force isn't that bad on the OEM side or if you are building a new bike. I went Force over Red for the look of it and replaceable wear items like rings and cassettes. Plus, the integrated power meter is stupid. 90% of the weight increase is in the cassette and crank arms so getting those in red will give you a group within 50g.

On a side note they sell the full shifting system as a group because they can, and people will buy it.
Ride fast Take chances

Daniel1975

by Daniel1975

Aftermarket 12sp chainring would help to accept AXS. I’m not going to sell my Quarq and buy back that idiot disposable PM and i think more people think like that.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

And you’ll also need a new DUB BB since Quarq has now stopped selling PMs in GXP and 30mm spindles.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

Aftermarket solution are coming. You can bet on that. I want a gold flat top chain and I want it now!

You can get a force or red crank in gpx and add the power spider to it. Then you don't need to replace the power meter with the rings and you can do custom combos like 33-48.
IMG_0436.jpeg
Ride fast Take chances

gbrnole

by gbrnole

Alexbn921 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 3:21 pm

90% of the weight increase is in the cassette and crank arms so getting those in red will give you a group within 50g.
Point is valid but not entirely accurate. The crank, chain and cassette make up right about 300g of the approx 400g weight difference vs. Red AXS. Shifters, brakes and front & rear mech are combined about 100g heavier than Red AXS.

akdmx

by akdmx

Whoever comes to market first with a less-awful aftermarket chainring is going to sell a lot of units

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Is this thing really supposed to be noisy? Friend just got a tarmac with force and it is pretty much annoying to ride next to him. Sounds like the chain is a little bit dry, gritty and rubbing all at the same time. Dealer mechanic told him it's normal and chain needs to wear in a bit. I don't buy that (and besides he had already did 500km on it)

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Alexandrumarian wrote:Is this thing really supposed to be noisy? Friend just got a tarmac with force and it is pretty much annoying to ride next to him. Sounds like the chain is a little bit dry, gritty and rubbing all at the same time. Dealer mechanic told him it's normal and chain needs to wear in a bit. I don't buy that (and besides he had already did 500km on it)
We have sold 3 tarmac pros with force axs recently and I set up one of them. The chain is NOT loud. Find a new mechanic.

zinedrei

by zinedrei

Alexbn921 wrote:
Thu Jul 18, 2019 5:56 pm
You can get a force or red crank in gpx and add the power spider to it. Then you don't need to replace the power meter with the rings and you can do custom combos like 33-48.
sorry, to be clear, I can buy a Red crank arm with GXP spindle and then use the powermeter spider whilst using 2 chaingrings? i thought the powermeter spider will only work for 1x Red.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

zinedrei wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 2:19 am

sorry, to be clear, I can buy a Red crank arm with GXP spindle and then use the powermeter spider whilst using 2 chaingrings? i thought the powermeter spider will only work for 1x Red.
Yes, you can use 2 rings on red with Force rings.
Cranks only come with rings.
If you buy red you get the single piece rings that can't used with the power meter. You need to buy both Force rings and the power meter spider. GPX or Dub
If you buy Force, you can reuse the rings on the power meter. You only need the power meter spider. GXP or dub
Force and red cranks share the same mount. 1-piece red rings fit on force and force spider fits on red.
Ride fast Take chances

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Alexbn921 wrote:
Chain, cassette and front ring interactions are very important to shift quality. Shimano has had this nailed for years. If Sram didn't make it only 12 speed, then people would mix and match messing up the shifting. This is their way of insuring a better experience. The system is new, and the rollout was well executed with force dropping right away.
https://youtu.be/Tsk3zAZyLaQ
Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nefarious86 wrote:
Fri Jul 19, 2019 3:30 am

https://youtu.be/Tsk3zAZyLaQ

I've got a packet of these coming. Going to put them right on the ST near my eTap FDs.
Attachments
fucking-shram-sm.png

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

I'll be needing a link.....

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

TobinHatesYou wrote: I've got a packet of these coming. Going to put them right on the ST near my eTap FDs.
Why stop at the front derailleur. In fact, why not plaster them all over your bike like a KOM bike, but instead of polka dots you’ve got these things all over it. What better way to profess your love for SRAM. I’ll take a packet of those too please, not for my bike but for all my tool chests etc.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ