'Fake' Lightweight Meilenstein Clinchers??

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Byskov

by Byskov

Hi WW,

I'm in negotiations with a guy about buying a nice set of Lightweight Meilenstein Clinchers (Proclaimed Black/Schwarz ed). But when I look through the pictures I get in doubt if it indeed is a set of Meilensteins? I haven't seen fake Lightweights before and I don't think they exist really, so my concerns are if it is maybe a Gen 3 wheelset with new decals or something like that? I think the Meilenstein logo's look a little off and the small 'Lightweight' logo that is supposed to be opposite of the Meilenstein logo is not there?

Anyone with knowledge on the topic? Please share :)

/Byskov
Attachments
LW1.jpg
LW2.jpg
LW3.jpg
LW4.jpg
LW5.jpg

L3X

by L3X

I'm by no means an expert, so I'm sure there are more knowledgeable people here, nevertheless my 2 cents:
1. 'Meilenstein' decal here looks a bit off, that's not what I see on the lightweight website https://lightweight.info/ca/en/meilenstein-schwarz
2. Schwarz edition has 'Leightweight' painted on in black text, that's missing here
3. Decal on the hub is black text on a white background, compared to the website it should be white text on a black background

Again I'm no expert here but comparing to lightweights website I'd have enough reason to be worried. At least ask the seller for the 10 digit number that should come with the wheels and then give Lightweight a call to verify if the number matches the seller's description, check what the history (if any) is on these wheels etc.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

Call LW I am sure they will be able to confirm on the phone if they are legit...

Byskov

by Byskov

Thank you guys. I will try that. Already wrote them on facebook - they usually answer quite fast but did'nt hear anything.

L3X -> That is exaclty my point. Something doesn't add up here.

Thanks again!

kgt

by kgt

I think they are original, LW will tell you. In general it is not an easy task at all to copy those wheels.

dgasmd

by dgasmd

1. If these are fakes, these would be the first ones I hear of to date

2. Lightweight don’t come with any decals that I’m aware of. All logos and markings are painted on.

3. There is some variation in markings based on production.

4. I’m no expert either, but I see nothing in these that makes me think they are fake. Could be very wrong, so call LW in Germany and get the info from them for sure if you have that much doubt!

**The one I can’t comprehend is why he would attach a magnet to the spoke in the rear!!!

Best of luck and let us know what you find out.

pedale

by pedale

dgasmd wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:32 pm

**The one I can’t comprehend is why he would attach a magnet to the spoke in the rear!!!
https://www.tritoncycles.co.uk/accessor ... sor-p12133

Duo trap or any other sensor speed+cadence?

Byskov

by Byskov

Maybe ‘fake’ was the wrong word to use. It was more if it was an older/other version that he tried to disguise as Meilenstein black edition.

But I will follow your advice and call them tomorrow.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

^I think that might be a better way of putting it, since I've never seen fake Lightweights and don’t they would be worth the trouble to try to duplicate. But I deal with a number of sets from Gen 1, which are super easy to identify with the brown kevlar spokes, right on up to the most current 24mm wide version, then the different rim profile from 52mm to 47mm. But then they had the Schwarz edition (all black), and some with Ceramic Speed bearings, etc. etc., and I just got kind of confused with the actual nomenclature of them all and never bothered to commit it all to memory. What I'd look for most is that they are the 47mm profile, and not the higher 52mm.
Last edited by Calnago on Wed Mar 27, 2019 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

2old4this

by 2old4this

dgasmd wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 5:32 pm
2. Lightweight don’t come with any decals that I’m aware of. All logos and markings are painted on.
Original Meilensteins did have the stickers. Later on they've removed them and started laser etching.

However, these are not Meilenstein SchwarzED (SchwarzED ones do say on the hub flenges. I think these are simply Meilensteins.)

Anyways, if you want to verify what these wheels are, just get the serial numbers and ask Lightweight.

NiFTY

by NiFTY

Probably early meilensteins. Mine had stickers for the meilenstein part( early models)
Meilenstein are shallower 48vs 52.
Meilenstein Rim bed is uni d bs woven for gen iiii.
Black edition didn't exist as far as i am aware when the stickers were still being used.
Evo 4.9kg SL3 6.64kg Slice RS 8.89kg viewtopic.php?f=10&t=110579" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

kode54

by kode54

I have a set exactly like those pictured...with stickers instead of painted on. This version is not the Black Edition...but the generation prior to 11 speed. When the transition to 11S took place, Lightweight swapped out the freehub and put the little sticker along side of the drive side.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Calnago
In Memoriam

by Calnago

Good point... about making sure you know if you’re getting a 10sp freehub or an 11sp, if you’re using Shimano. Campy is the same for 9-12sp so it wouldn’t make a difference. Not a big deal to replace, just the cost of a new freehub. It will say “11Speed” on it if it’s 11, nothing if it’s 10.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

moyboy

by moyboy

black edition would have ceramic speed on the white decal around the flange. Also the decal would be black with white lettering.

Byskov

by Byskov

I got to the bottom of this case. The wheels are genuine Lightweight Meilenstein 11 speed Clinchers. The chip number helped a lot :)

On the other side they are 6 years old and has done around 10000km, so I really don't think it is a good buy anyways.

Thank you guys for your fast feedback!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com