Next generation of Dura-Ace Di2

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Ritxis

by Ritxis

ooo wrote:
Thu Sep 17, 2020 11:25 pm
about bolt 90:
[0084] As seen in FIGS. 4 and 5, the disc brake caliper 10A (10B) further comprises a sealing bolt 90 plugging an opening in the single main body 12. The sealing bolt 90 includes a head portion 90a and a shaft portion 90b extending from the head portion 90a. A sealing ring 92 is provided on the shaft portion 90b adjacent the head portion 90a. The sealing ring 92 is preferably an O-ring that is made of an elastomeric material, e.g., rubber material that is compatible with the hydraulic fluid used in the disc brake caliper 10A (10B).

[0085] The shaft portion 90b has a first fluid bore 90b1 extending in an axial direction of the shaft portion 90b and a second fluid bore 90b2 extending in in a traverse direction of the shaft portion 90b. The second fluid bore 90b2 is in fluid communication with the first fluid bore 90b1. The second hydraulic fluid passage 82 is in fluid communication with the first hydraulic fluid passage 81 via the first and second fluid bores 90b1 and 90b2 of the sealing bolt 90. In this way, the first hydraulic fluid passage 81 extends between the first hydraulic chamber 42 and the second hydraulic fluid passage 82. The second hydraulic fluid passage 82 extends between the second hydraulic chamber 52 and the first hydraulic fluid passage 81.

[0086] The shaft portion 90b has a threaded section 90b3 disposed on an opposite side of the second fluid bore 90b2 from the head portion 90a. The shaft portion 90b of the sealing bolt 90 includes a reduced section 90b3 having a cross sectional width that is reduced as compared to a cross sectional width of the threaded section 90b3. The second fluid bore 90b2 is disposed in the reduced section 90b3.
about ts1/ts2:
0088] Here, the unfinished end cap 14' has a tool engagement structure TS1 includes a protrusion having two parallel tool engagement surfaces for receiving a torque from a wrench. Alternatively, as seen in FIG. 10, an unfinished disc brake caliper 10A'' (10B'') is illustrated having the unfinished single main body 12' and an unfinished end cap 14''. Here, the unfinished end cap 14'' has a tool engagement structure TS2 includes a recess having two parallel tool engagement surfaces for receiving a torque from a hexalobular screwdriver. However, the tool engagement structure for the unfinished end cap is not limited to these two illustrated tool engagement structures.

[0089] In any case, to form the single main body 12 and the end cap 14 of the disc brake caliper 10A (10B), the end portions of the unfinished single main body 12' and the unfinished end cap 14' or 14'' are removed to the tool engagement structure TS1 or TS2 to form a smooth end surface. Thus, when the anodic oxide coating and/or the paint layer of the surface treatment 16 is applied, the end cap 14 becomes undetectable be the naked human eye.

one more patent, like others already seen...........for the XTR, Shimano pulled out flat mount calipers (Dura-ace R9170 in silver color?) why don't I get them out with these "improvements" ?

where they have to improve the calipers, is above all in the effective recoil of the pistons.................trust the spring of the pads and the pressure drop of the system is seen that in many cases it is not 100% effective

corky

by corky

I agree this would massively help with disc rub, I think they've chosen a short cut with this 'balancing' route. still at least they are trying to address current caliper design shortcomings.

by Weenie

Sockman

by Sockman

On CyclingTips TDF Tech roundup, Shoddy Dave mentions an unreleased shimano groupset... has anyone seen pictures from TDF?

JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

pmprego wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:46 pm
W.r.t. sram force.. Let's say it's more expensive than ultegra di2 while weighting half a kilo more. It's outrageous.
Just want to throw it out there that I did this exact conversion (Ultegra Di2 to SRAM Force AXS) and I measured the differences.

Force AXS was exactly 256g heavier on my swap, 149g was on the crankset, and 100g on the cassette, which isn't a fair comparison because I was using a SRAM RED 11-28 with my Di2.

With the standard Ultegra cassette at ~250g, the total weight gain would be about 165g. Nowhere close to a "half a kilo more".
Wilier Cento10AIR Rim Brake - SRAM Force AXS
BMC GF02 - Ultegra R8000 - Commuter/Trainer

Strava link: https://www.strava.com/athletes/jmeinholdt

pmprego

by pmprego

JMeinholdt wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 2:39 pm
pmprego wrote:
Sun Sep 13, 2020 5:46 pm
W.r.t. sram force.. Let's say it's more expensive than ultegra di2 while weighting half a kilo more. It's outrageous.
Just want to throw it out there that I did this exact conversion (Ultegra Di2 to SRAM Force AXS) and I measured the differences.

Force AXS was exactly 256g heavier on my swap, 149g was on the crankset, and 100g on the cassette, which isn't a fair comparison because I was using a SRAM RED 11-28 with my Di2.

With the standard Ultegra cassette at ~250g, the total weight gain would be about 165g. Nowhere close to a "half a kilo more".
Ok. That's good to know. I took my info from media websites.

slake21

by slake21

Omiar wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:35 am
Why do you re-center the caliper when the pistons are out of balance? It's a simple maintenance on the lazy piston itself to correct the calipers balance.
do you have a link for that? I'm pretty new to disc brakes :?

DCbiker

by DCbiker

Sockman wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 12:14 pm
On CyclingTips TDF Tech roundup, Shoddy Dave mentions an unreleased shimano groupset... has anyone seen pictures from TDF?
I was wondering about that. It almost sounded like he was expecting to see it but suprised he didnt. It could also be interpreted as he knows about it and is suprised he didnt find it....

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

I'm not surprised that new DA is protected by the 'COVID bubble' around the riders, staff and equipments. Media can't really see much when they're required to stay far away from team bus and truck

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

they need set screws like the hayes brakes. makes centering/adjusting easier. oh well.

Broady

by Broady

FactoryMatt wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 11:03 pm
they need set screws like the hayes brakes. makes centering/adjusting easier. oh well.
That system was actually really good, surprised I've not seen it since.

gurk700

by gurk700

Speed bleed nipples like you can get for motos (all you do is connect hose and squeeze brakes a few times. Done.)
A very reliable Power Meter.
Literally the only things I want in the new groupset. Keep your 12 gears and wireless.
Make it so Shimano!

andreas

by andreas

Omiar wrote:
Fri Sep 18, 2020 9:35 am
Why do you re-center the caliper when the pistons are out of balance? It's a simple maintenance on the lazy piston itself to correct the calipers balance.
I'm on my 2nd front and third rear Ultegra caliper within 1.5 years, excersising/cleaning the piston doesn't really work. Tried numerous times both myself and at the LBS, and has resulted in 2 warranties so far. Rear caliper still has issues, but I've given up until they release a better design.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

gurk700 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 am
Speed bleed nipples like you can get for motos (all you do is connect hose and squeeze brakes a few times. Done.)
Literally the only things I want in the new groupset. Keep your 12 gears and wireless.
Make it so Shimano!
speed bleeders work on these? i never even thought to try! good to know!

gurk700

by gurk700

FactoryMatt wrote:
Sun Sep 20, 2020 5:10 am
gurk700 wrote:
Sat Sep 19, 2020 6:36 am
Make it so Shimano!
speed bleeders work on these? i never even thought to try! good to know!
not in the current design. i'm saying i hope shimano comes up with a design like that :)

by Weenie

icantaffordcycling

by icantaffordcycling

9200 hoods? Look like a mix of 9100 and grx 815 if so.