Next generation of Dura-Ace Di2

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.

Moderator: robbosmans

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

biwa wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:08 pm
Isn't it pretty common/standard to have internal routing for Di2 which requires drilling? Technically, yes, you can route everything externally but it's kinda messy at the BB area and exposed to potential damage.
No? I've not ridden anything that has been drilled for Di2 for years. Unless you count converting an older frame not designed for Di2 or internal routing.

by Weenie

TheRich

by TheRich

biwa wrote:
TheRich wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 pm
biwa wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:26 pm
ultimobici wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 am

Simplified? It’s so simple now a child could wire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, I guess many are spoiled by SRAM's wireless setup (though as others point out, functionally it may be another story).

Are we certain the new Di2 will still require a hole drilling on the frame just like before. Am ordering a new custom frame and can wait for the new Di2 to build it up, but at very least we need to know if the frame configuration would stay the same as the existing Di2.
Why would you have to dril a hole?

I didn't realize how easy running Di2 wires were until I did it myself. At the worst I may require the use of a cable routing tool, I did it on a new bike and simply taped the end of the wire to the plastic string that was in the frame and gently pulled/fed it through. Pretty sure I redid the rear derailleur wire just using gravity, and once they're in, they're in for good.
Isn't it pretty common/standard to have internal routing for Di2 which requires drilling? Technically, yes, you can route everything externally but it's kinda messy at the BB area and exposed to potential damage.
If you have external routing, you route them externally. It's as messy as external cables.

Theoretically you might be able to put the battery in the seatpost, junction box in the seat tube, run the wires out of the drain hole of the BB and helicopter tape the wires to the frame to the components.

A friend of mine has first gen Di2 on an older externally routed frame with the external battery and while it's not pretty, it's not an eyesore (to others) either. The unused cable stops are what stands out.

biwa

by biwa

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:44 pm
biwa wrote:
No? I've not ridden anything that has been drilled for Di2 for years. Unless you count converting an older frame not designed for Di2 or internal routing.
So you're saying most recent frames are designed and made for external Di2 routing?

ghostinthemachine

by ghostinthemachine

No. I've not had a frame that requires any drilling.
The holes are already there from new.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

biwa wrote:
ghostinthemachine wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:44 pm
biwa wrote:
So you're saying most recent frames are designed and made for external Di2 routing?
Most frames are designed to allow internal routing of gear cables or Di2/EPS cabling. Those that have external cables very often have removable stops that then are used as the ports for Di2/EPS cables.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

biwa

by biwa

Guys, I'm talking about custom frames where internal routing (hence drilling during fabrication) is often optional not standard, while you're talking about production frames where indeed most now come with internal routing (of everything). That's also where I got confused by ghostinthemachine comment "I've not ridden anything that has been drilled for Di2 for years" where he referred drilling as a retrofit.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

ive had zipp and ritchey bars where the Di2 port was too small. drilling new bars b/c the PMs followed the wrong shimano spec sure is fun. (6x6 round instead of the oval)

lastkm

by lastkm

For me, the main question remains if the next DA will keep retro-compatibility with old versions... I want to buy new wheels now, but not if I can't use them on the next bike...

So far there is no solid info on moving to Micro Spline or not, correct?

Ritxis

by Ritxis

lastkm wrote:
Tue Aug 18, 2020 8:43 am
For me, the main question remains if the next DA will keep retro-compatibility with old versions... I want to buy new wheels now, but not if I can't use them on the next bike...

So far there is no solid info on moving to Micro Spline or not, correct?
On the Microspline, Shimano patents have seen HG adapter on Microspline freehub and Microspline cassette (with 1st 11-tooth cog, i would say that for mtb)

We will have to wait for it to be presented or information to leak

lastkm

by lastkm

Thanks a lot Ritxis! I checked that, and also checked from mtb info, updating freehub from HG to Microspline on hubs like DT Swiss is not a problem.

MrMorrison

by MrMorrison

A few days to the start of the Tour and not a whisper or little bit of gossip? Come on! need some DA 2021/22 spy shots.....

Cubist

by Cubist

Yes that is very disappointing :(

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

LOL
This thread was started in March 2019 :)

Unniti

by Unniti

Should we be taking in bets on which gets released first, new Aeroad or DA?

by Weenie

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

biwa wrote:
Sun Aug 16, 2020 7:35 pm
Guys, I'm talking about custom frames where internal routing (hence drilling during fabrication) is often optional not standard, while you're talking about production frames where indeed most now come with internal routing (of everything). That's also where I got confused by ghostinthemachine comment "I've not ridden anything that has been drilled for Di2 for years" where he referred drilling as a retrofit.
Wait, if it is a custom frame why are you not getting what you want? If I was ordering any frame and told I had to drill holes for Di2. I would tell them to pound sand.