Next generation of Dura-Ace Di2

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
JMeinholdt

by JMeinholdt

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 2:02 pm
It's easier and takes less time to wire and set a whole Di2 bike than properly adjusting just a eTAP front derailleur! :mrgreen:
Having installed both a Di2 system and AXS system in the last week, neither is more difficult than the other. The Di2 system does take longer due to wiring. If you can't properly adjust an eTap FD, then I'd suggest not touching a Di2 FD either.
Wilier Cento10AIR Rim Brake - SRAM Force AXS
3T Exploro 105 - Gravel/Commuter/Trainer (on order)

Strava link: https://www.strava.com/athletes/jmeinholdt

by Weenie

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Dan Gerous wrote:
It's easier and takes less time to wire and set a whole Di2 bike than properly adjusting just a eTAP front derailleur! :mrgreen:
:twisted:

gurk700

by gurk700

JMeinholdt wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:54 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
Having installed both a Di2 system and AXS system in the last week, neither is more difficult than the other. The Di2 system does take longer due to wiring. If you can't properly adjust an eTap FD, then I'd suggest not touching a Di2 FD either.
What? Front di2 derailleur is the best thing since sliced bread.
Adjusting it is super easy and it gives you a TON of adjustment.
Unlike SRAM where if your frame doesn't happen to be manufactured to perfection (clearly doesn't exist nowadays) and fit sram perfectly, there's a fraction of a millimetre where it doesn't either not shift to big ring or throw chain over the big ring on to your crank.
Absolutely never had a problem adjusting Di2 to perfection where it would shift precisely for years. Sram has been a whole different story.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

gurk700 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:20 pm
JMeinholdt wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 4:54 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
What? Front di2 derailleur is the best thing since sliced bread.
Adjusting it is super easy and it gives you a TON of adjustment.
Unlike SRAM where if your frame doesn't happen to be manufactured to perfection (clearly doesn't exist nowadays) and fit sram perfectly, there's a fraction of a millimetre where it doesn't either not shift to big ring or throw chain over the big ring on to your crank.
Absolutely never had a problem adjusting Di2 to perfection where it would shift precisely for years. Sram has been a whole different story.
I can adjust both, but it's much easier to adjust a Di2 than a AXS, as a million threads about people having problems with eTAP can attest.

gurk700

by gurk700

Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm
I can adjust both, but it's much easier to adjust a Di2 than a AXS, as a million threads about people having problems with eTAP can attest.
Definitely depends on the frame you have. My etap on Cervelo R5 and S5 was a nightmare both rear and front. I made sure my derailleur hanger was straight a million times with the park tool thingy. Even with that and multiple cassettes it wouldn't shift into one gear correctly no matter how many times I trimmed it. Finally got a duraace cassette which improved the situation. Then just pulled plug on a full di2 on that bike and never had a problem ever again. lol

On SL6 rim, rear was fine the front took a lot of tinker to get it right and it was far from perfect. It would be ok 95% of the time but every once in a while throw chain over the big ring.

Besenwagen

by Besenwagen

Unless they do some parts wireless, where do you wanna save cables on a Di2??? You need 1 to each component and 1 the battery.

biwa

by biwa

ultimobici wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:25 am
biwa wrote:
itsacarr wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:04 pm
Just to poor a some gas on the flame while it dims down - sounds as if the wires have gotten smaller as well - for what wires that are left.
Less wires in new Di2?! While probably nobody realistically expects a full wireless setup, we do hope for a simplified setup.
Simplified? It’s so simple now a child could wire it up.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Yea, I guess many are spoiled by SRAM's wireless setup (though as others point out, functionally it may be another story).

Are we certain the new Di2 will still require a hole drilling on the frame just like before. Am ordering a new custom frame and can wait for the new Di2 to build it up, but at very least we need to know if the frame configuration would stay the same as the existing Di2.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

gurk700 wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:45 pm
Dan Gerous wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 6:31 pm
Definitely depends on the frame you have. My etap on Cervelo R5 and S5 was a nightmare both rear and front. I made sure my derailleur hanger was straight a million times with the park tool thingy. Even with that and multiple cassettes it wouldn't shift into one gear correctly no matter how many times I trimmed it. Finally got a duraace cassette which improved the situation. Then just pulled plug on a full di2 on that bike and never had a problem ever again. lol

On SL6 rim, rear was fine the front took a lot of tinker to get it right and it was far from perfect. It would be ok 95% of the time but every once in a while throw chain over the big ring.
I could get my first generation eTAP front derailleur to work perfectly, 100% good, when I started to ignore SRAM's instructions on my old SuperSix Evo (in my case, the height mark was way off), even with non-SRAM crankset and chainrings, but we can't ignore so many people struggling, even some experienced mechanics on some frames. Meanwhile almost anyone who can turn a hex key can get a Di2 front derailleur to work superbly in just a few minutes. It has nothing to do with wires or wireless, but I much prefer to take the time to route a Di2 wiring setup than fight the very finicky SRAM front derailleur unless it's on a frame I already know to play along well with it.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Dan Gerous wrote:
that's pretty funny.

TheRich

by TheRich

biwa wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 7:26 pm
ultimobici wrote:
biwa wrote:
itsacarr wrote:
Fri Aug 14, 2020 2:04 pm
Just to poor a some gas on the flame while it dims down - sounds as if the wires have gotten smaller as well - for what wires that are left.
Less wires in new Di2?! While probably nobody realistically expects a full wireless setup, we do hope for a simplified setup.

Yea, I guess many are spoiled by SRAM's wireless setup (though as others point out, functionally it may be another story).

Are we certain the new Di2 will still require a hole drilling on the frame just like before. Am ordering a new custom frame and can wait for the new Di2 to build it up, but at very least we need to know if the frame configuration would stay the same as the existing Di2.
Why would you have to dril a hole?

I didn't realize how easy running Di2 wires were until I did it myself. At the worst I may require the use of a cable routing tool, I did it on a new bike and simply taped the end of the wire to the plastic string that was in the frame and gently pulled/fed it through. Pretty sure I redid the rear derailleur wire just using gravity, and once they're in, they're in for good.

TheRich

by TheRich

double

rob86

by rob86

There is absolutely zero need for wireless Di2. The setup is supereasy, the wires can be made completely invisble and the battery can be put in a smart invisble place (e.g. seatpost). Looking at SRAM it looks massively bulky with less battery autonomy.

MayhemSWE

by MayhemSWE

biwa wrote:
How could we possibly be certain of anything? Those in the know definitely are not allowed to tell, and even if they did how would would you know whether they are telling the truth or not? Get on the waiting list and pay your deposit but ask to have the build postponed until 9200 has been announced. That is the only way to be sure.
Last edited by MayhemSWE on Sat Aug 15, 2020 10:15 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

biwa

by biwa

TheRich wrote:
Sat Aug 15, 2020 8:55 pm
biwa wrote:
ultimobici wrote:
biwa wrote:

Why would you have to dril a hole?

I didn't realize how easy running Di2 wires were until I did it myself. At the worst I may require the use of a cable routing tool, I did it on a new bike and simply taped the end of the wire to the plastic string that was in the frame and gently pulled/fed it through. Pretty sure I redid the rear derailleur wire just using gravity, and once they're in, they're in for good.
Isn't it pretty common/standard to have internal routing for Di2 which requires drilling? Technically, yes, you can route everything externally but it's kinda messy at the BB area and exposed to potential damage.