Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Is it semi wireless? I don't think we can tell from these images?
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

RDY wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:06 am

the reason why you've seen brands just totally abandon Shimano at the high end is wireless.
Where are you getting the data to back this claim up? Can't be the pro peloton, seeing as only 2 teams ride SRAM. Even Campy has 4, while every other team is on Shimano (13). And if you're using complete bikes available right now, it's not by choice that most don't have a ton of Shimano options, that's just a supply issue; it's impossible to source Shimano parts (maybe we should blame the pros for taking all the parts). So I'm curious to see how you're deciding that the top bike brands are dropping Shimano in general, let alone because they're not wireless.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Ritxis

by Ritxis

bikewithnoname wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:16 am
So what is it?

the shifters agree with the images seen in patents.....if it were wired, they would not need to increase the size so much

LainOTN

by LainOTN

bikewithnoname wrote:
I still think, based on patents, that this is do as you wish.
Shifters will have the ports as they are the same for satellites or for connecting to the main bus (this is CANbus so in reality is a big single bus connecting everything)
If you connect the shifters to the main CANbus it will grab the electricity from the bus and send the data using the wired bus. If it doesn't detect power comming from the connections it will fall back to the coincell + wireless.

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

Ritxis wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:29 am
bikewithnoname wrote:
So what is it?

the shifters agree with the images seen in patents.....if it were wired, they would not need to increase the size so much
I'll eat my hat if it isn't semi-wireless.

corky

by corky

Ritxis wrote:
bikewithnoname wrote:
So what is it?

the shifter size increase maybe due to the changed(improved) hydraulics and nothing to do with the electronics..... sure we'll find out soon now

RDY

by RDY

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:21 am
RDY wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:06 am

the reason why you've seen brands just totally abandon Shimano at the high end is wireless.
Where are you getting the data to back this claim up? Can't be the pro peloton, seeing as only 2 teams ride SRAM. Even Campy has 4, while every other team is on Shimano (13). And if you're using complete bikes available right now, it's not by choice that most don't have a ton of Shimano options, that's just a supply issue; it's impossible to source Shimano parts (maybe we should blame the pros for taking all the parts). So I'm curious to see how you're deciding that the top bike brands are dropping Shimano in general, let alone because they're not wireless.
What on earth are you talking about? Did you read beyond that sentence? The pro peleton has virtually nothing to do with marketshare.

I mean Campag probably supply more gruppos to their sponsored teams atm than they do to factory built SR complete bikes. So by your metric they have double SRAM marketshare. SRAM absolutely owns the high end pre-built market atm.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

tjvirden wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:05 am
My view also.
AXS is very nice, if that's what you want, or the bike you want comes with it.
Wireless has upsides.....and downsides.

R9200 (9270 I suppose we can call the DSM sneak peek) is looking a bit like 9000->9100 in my opinion.........but we'll have to wait and see the detail and actual function.

Edit: okay, there's an extra cog this time, but the "improvements" appear modest so far

That's it in a nutshell. Other than the disc brake issues, what is there in 9100 that needs improvement? It is readily apparent that the times of rapid and meaningful innovation on the road side are gone, simply because what we have available now is so good.

RDY

by RDY

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:02 pm
tjvirden wrote:
My view also.

R9200 (9270 I suppose we can call the DSM sneak peek) is looking a bit like 9000->9100 in my opinion.........but we'll have to wait and see the detail and actual function.

Edit: okay, there's an extra cog this time, but the "improvements" appear modest so far

That's it in a nutshell. Other than the disc brake issues, what is there in 9100 that needs improvement? It is readily apparent that the times of rapid and meaningful innovation on the road side are gone, simply because what we have available now is so good.
Cassettes - gouging freehub, falling apart, heavy & no monoblock. Cranks - delamination & right side PM issues (latter may have been addressed with 92xx?).

XCProMD

by XCProMD

corky wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 11:38 am
Ritxis wrote:
bikewithnoname wrote:
So what is it?

the shifter size increase maybe due to the changed(improved) hydraulics and nothing to do with the electronics..... sure we'll find out soon now
Correct. The electronics are extremely integrated and thus, small.

WYSIWYG. Not a lot to say other than that

- It is taking time to scale up production of some of the parts (Cranks are a nightmare)
- Cross fingers that this crank iteration will be more reliable (glued joint shoulder tolerances) , I'm not holding my breath.
Last edited by XCProMD on Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

RDY wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:05 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
tjvirden wrote:
My view also.

Cassettes - gouging freehub, falling apart, heavy & no monoblock. Cranks - delamination & right side PM issues (latter may have been addressed with 92xx?).
You're right on the delaminating cranks. I was thinking more of functionality, though.

I have heard of gouged freehubs but in 24 years of using Shimano, I can't say I've ever faced the issue, no matter what rear hub I have used.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 12:45 pm
RDY wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
tjvirden wrote:
My view also.

You're right on the delaminating cranks. I was thinking more of functionality, though.

I have heard of gouged freehubs but in 24 years of using Shimano, I can't say I've ever faced the issue, no matter what rear hub I have used.
I guess being able to connect via app without the need of additional things would be nice.
I heard SRAM has a quite nice integration there with everything being controllable via app.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ullmanz wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:17 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
RDY wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

I guess being able to connect via app without the need of additional things would be nice.
I heard SRAM has a quite nice integration there with everything being controllable via app.
That's something else I've never done. I have always used a wired connection to my PC via the charger to make any firmware updates. I don't see the need for an app, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.

Stueys

by Stueys

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:32 pm
ullmanz wrote:
Mon Jun 14, 2021 1:17 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
RDY wrote:

That's something else I've never done. I have always used a wired connection to my PC via the charger to make any firmware updates. I don't see the need for an app, but maybe I'm just old fashioned.
App is handy but I hardly ever use. What's more useful though is an Ant connection to the head unit without spending another 60 quid for a dfly (and having to find somewhere to hide it).

Alfus

by Alfus

alcatraz wrote:
Sun Jun 13, 2021 5:30 am
The lockring doesn't look like microspline, does it now?

Does it mean shimano 12s road will be standard 11s freehub compatible?
Really?? again??

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com