Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 6:03 pm

GRX cranks have different Q factors...so "no."

Wrong.

Go order your chainrings and try to get your front derailleur to work.

Even more reason to make Shimano cranksets modular. Combining wider Q-factor cranks with standard chainring sizes or narrower cranks with sub-compact chainrings would surely benefit a lot of cyclists.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:33 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:16 pm
TheRich wrote:

Wrong.

Even more reason to make cranksets modular. Combining wider Q-factor cranks with standard chainring sizes or narrower cranks with sub-compact chainrings would surely benefit a lot of cyclists.
Shimano might move everything to GRX's chainline since disc brake is the standard now.
The normal chainline was "ideal" for rim brake rear spacing (130mm OLD). It also work for disc brake bike with 135mm OLD (including 142mm TA).
GRX push chainline out by 2.5mm, hence push it back to the same ideal chain angle as normal chainline with rim brake bike. It's native disc, with rim brake also work. Rather than the otherway around which is native rim, with disc also work.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Hexsense wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:32 pm

Shimano might move everything to GRX's chainline since disc brake is the standard now.
The normal chainline was "ideal" for rim brake rear spacing (130mm OLD). It also work for disc brake bike with 135mm OLD (including 142mm TA).
GRX push chainline out by 2.5mm, hence make it the same as normal chainline with rim brake. It's now native disc, with rim brake also work. Rather than the otherway around which is native rim, with disc also work.

Chainline offset would be handled by a removable spider. (rim vs disc)
Q-factor would be handled by the cranks (chainstay clearance, varus knees, etc.)

It opens up a lot of options for those that need/want it.

Aeo

by Aeo

They can also do an intermediate solution like on Steps or XT/SLX: Direct mount, but chain ring and spider are bolted together.
For XT and SLX, the 4 pairs of small bolts are hidden nicely.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

RussellS

by RussellS

spartan wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 10:43 pm
LOL we have a lot of misinformed ww members who joined this forum the last year.
for ignorant American prices in europe include VAT about 20% on average.
so DA € 4,300-4,400 ~ € 3500 no tax. in US prices i guestimate 3500-3800 USD, they will match Sram AXS. let us see who is right when shimano finally launches this summer.
7% sales tax in my state/county. Not 21% average Europe VAT, but not nothing either.
4300-4400 Euro including VAT is $5117 - $5236 USA dollars including VAT. Remove the 21% VAT and you are at $4228 - $4327. Add in my sales tax of 7% (payable on local purchases AND Amazon, mail order purchases too) and you are at $4524 - $4630. $600-700 less than the $5200 I stated before. $1000-1200 more than your guess of $3500-3800. I still stand by my statement that any and all and every factory bike with Dura Ace will be $9000 plus.
Last edited by RussellS on Sat Apr 10, 2021 2:19 am, edited 1 time in total.

RussellS

by RussellS

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Apr 09, 2021 11:16 pm
TheRich wrote:

Wrong.

Even more reason to make Shimano cranksets modular. Combining wider Q-factor cranks with standard chainring sizes or narrower cranks with sub-compact chainrings would surely benefit a lot of cyclists.
Overpriced chainrings don't benefit anyone.

Why is it that the things that Shimano should do are things SRAM does differently and charges significantly more for?

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Are you still crying about the one-piece chainrings even though I’m not talking about those?

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 4:41 am
Are you still crying about the one-piece chainrings even though I’m not talking about those?
Laughing is the correct term.

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Guys, get real. You're not going anywhere with this sling fest. This looks more like a d1ck measuring contest to me.

It has become obvious that this Dura-Ace Di2 thread too easily becomes a platform for the SRAM lovers criticise SHIMANO for not going the SRAM way, and vice-versa...

pmprego

by pmprego

Raimundo wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:03 am
Guys, get real. You're not going anywhere with this sling fest. This looks more like a d1ck measuring contest to me.

It has become obvious that this Dura-Ace Di2 thread too easily becomes a platform for the SRAM lovers criticise SHIMANO for not going the SRAM way, and vice-versa...
+1 on this.

If anyone has a honest leak or something you're very welcome otherwise it's just noise.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Raimundo wrote:

pdlpsher1 asked an honest question about DM chainrings/cranks (a direction everyone is moving in: Rotor, FSA, SRAM, Shimano MTB, Praxis, etc.) It seemed worth discussing the merits of such a modular design in an age where road has expanded to the road less traveled, gravel and trails.

Seems like a win-win situation being able to mix-n-match chainlines, q-factors, BCDs, crank lengths, power vs no-power.

milanv

by milanv

pmprego wrote:
Sat Apr 10, 2021 11:45 am
Raimundo wrote:

+1 on this.

If anyone has a honest leak or something you're very welcome otherwise it's just noise.
👍 :beerchug:

Raimundo

by Raimundo

Everyone has a right to have an opinion, but the same can quickly escalate when against an also valid contrary view, it's up to us to keep on track.

Countless times and specially in this thread i have to scroll up and re-read the title of the thread, just to make sure i didn't clicked the wrong one.

I was joking the other when i mentioned the 300 pages thread, but we are rapidly getting there, and i'ts not about next-gen DA Di2 leaked info or prototype pics. If we take the noise out that pmprego pointed at, we can condense this thread in 8 or 9 pages, and this with bogus info/leaks already included...

If one of the arguing sides is indeed much more in point than the other techwise, then the rest will follow.
How many times have we seen SRAM or Shimano or Campagnolo adopting each others tech because it became superior to their own.

I am far from saying that we shouldn't discus this, but let's at least create a separate "think tank" thread that highlights the different manufacturers current and future approach.

XCProMD

by XCProMD

Actually Shimano’s RD these days, especially the MTB ones, are “heavily inspired” in Sram ones. Remember all the noise Shimano made in the 80’s and 90’s about the A, B knuckle spring?

Skickat från min iPhone med Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com