Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

justonwo

by justonwo

When people are talking about a click on the 5th chainring, do they mean the 5th largest or the 5th smallest?

I just got my bike back from a 9200 upgrade. I'm experiencing clicking on the 5th largest. In other words, the position 5 outboard from the largest cog.
2020 F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic
2024 Topstone Lab71 (Force/XX1, Terra CLX II)

Retired: 2014 and 2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

They mean the 5th from the largest, but the problem may not be on the fifth cog. See the attached videos.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y4jk2HMzTkE

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O2qSxtaFtZ4

milanv

by milanv

justonwo wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:59 am
When people are talking about a click on the 5th chainring, do they mean the 5th largest or the 5th smallest?

I just got my bike back from a 9200 upgrade. I'm experiencing clicking on the 5th largest. In other words, the position 5 outboard from the largest cog.
Yes, this is the clicking problem, seen in mentioned videos.

justonwo

by justonwo

Ok, I got the bike back from the shop and made some tweaks to their setup to get it to Shimano's spec. Pretty straightforward setup.

I did a little adjusting in the 5th cog with the trim to deal with the clicking noise. It took about 30 seconds of adjustment to eliminate the noise. I don't get noise in any gear in the stand. My brief road tests don't reveal any noise either. It's all dialed in and ready for its first ride. The shifting is FAST.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Robius

by Robius

All that engineering for a problem that doesn't exist even on a shimano tourney. :lol:
2016 Felt AR2 Di2
Retired:
2017 Giant TCR Pro 2
2015 Cannondale Synapse 6

Matija

by Matija

justonwo wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:18 am
Ok, I got the bike back from the shop and made some tweaks to their setup to get it to Shimano's spec. Pretty straightforward setup.

I did a little adjusting in the 5th cog with the trim to deal with the clicking noise. It took about 30 seconds of adjustment to eliminate the noise. I don't get noise in any gear in the stand. My brief road tests don't reveal any noise either. It's all dialed in and ready for its first ride. The shifting is FAST.
Could you please share your solution?

milanv

by milanv

justonwo wrote:

I have it and this is not a thing of bad adjustment, I am very experienced with mecanic skills and several bikes at home.

MagicShite

by MagicShite

justonwo wrote:

Shimano doesn't have individual indexing for each cogs. What you're doing will just make the rest of the cogs shift worse (and/or make more noise)

The proper way is to lightly file away the edges of the teeth tripping the chain. I have posted the solution somewhere in this thread. The 11-30T requires you to do this to 3 teeth, the 34T only requires 1 tooth to be filed.

Belisarius

by Belisarius

MagicShite wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 9:23 am
justonwo wrote:

Shimano doesn't have individual indexing for each cogs. What you're doing will just make the rest of the cogs shift worse (and/or make more noise)

The proper way is to lightly file away the edges of the teeth tripping the chain. I have posted the solution somewhere in this thread. The 11-30T requires you to do this to 3 teeth, the 34T only requires 1 tooth to be filed.

There seem to be varying opinions ont his matter. Apparently, the advanced ETube Professional with the wired connection can, supposedly, do things on individual cogs. Although I got this from a Shimano Rep, he is not a Shimano tech. I cannot verify the information.

Belisarius

by Belisarius

justonwo wrote:

It was the same for me until the first chain throw, after that, the chain had minor twists and had to be discarded at 290 kms. After 8 years of flawless power and cadence cycling, brand new DA, and the results of Shimano failing to add a PHYSICAL LIMIT SCREW. Post firmware update, the crank is scratched all around...Will the next update do the same? NO IDEA. It is 0s and 1s...
Attachments
Scratched Spindle.jpg

Ritxis

by Ritxis

I'm thinking of switching to Shimano 12 (Ultegra-105 mix)

How would I make a custom cassette (I don't need 11/12 cogs) I'm looking for information on the thickness of the cogs of the 12 road cassettes...in Mtb 10-11-12 and road 10-11, the thickness is 1,6 mm.
Does anyone know if the thickness in 12 road is the same?

Thanks

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

Belisarius wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 2:07 pm
MagicShite wrote:
justonwo wrote:

There seem to be varying opinions ont his matter. Apparently, the advanced ETube Professional with the wired connection can, supposedly, do things on individual cogs. Although I got this from a Shimano Rep, he is not a Shimano tech. I cannot verify the information.
Shimano techs told me this cannot be done.

There is also no reason for this to be made possible, since the spacing between the individual sprockets is always the same.
If it isn't, either the cassette is faulty, or the derailleur hanger is bent, or someone mixed up the spacers on 12-speed cassettes.

justonwo

by justonwo

Matija wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:31 am
justonwo wrote:

Could you please share your solution?
For me, the solution was simply to adjust the trim 3-4 clicks and the noise went away.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

justonwo

by justonwo

milanv wrote:
Thu Sep 15, 2022 7:37 am
justonwo wrote:

I have it and this is not a thing of bad adjustment, I am very experienced with mecanic skills and several bikes at home.
I am not suggesting this will work for everybody, nor am I suggesting this is a universal solution. I'm merely relaying what worked for me.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

justonwo

by justonwo

MagicShite wrote:
justonwo wrote:

I'm not operating under the assumption that the trim is for individual cogs. I simply went through Shimano's instructions for setting up the RD. I trimmed the RD until there was no noise. Then I tested shifting performance and noise on all other cogs. The shift speed is excellent. There are no delays. And there is no noise in other cogs. I don't think the LBS got the trim exactly right when they installed the drivetrain.

Look, I'm not suggesting that what I did is going to work for anyone else. I'm just relaying my experience. I fully understand and believe others have issues with this kind of noise and that they can't eliminate it with simple trim adjustments. For that issue, I have no solution. I will also say that I haven't really road tested the drivetrain yet, so I can't comment on whether it will be noise-free long term.
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com