Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kode54

by kode54

I use a longer eTube wire that can reach both shifters from the FD. Then use a 2-port extender, unplug the FD and wire it up to one shifter at a time to update. This way, I avoid the hassle of removing the seatpost to wire it that way…then putting it back and align. Less hassle.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

overl0ad

by overl0ad

kode54 wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 11:35 am
I use a longer eTube wire that can reach both shifters from the FD. Then use a 2-port extender, unplug the FD and wire it up to one shifter at a time to update. This way, I avoid the hassle of removing the seatpost to wire it that way…then putting it back and align. Less hassle.
That is a great idea! I'm gonna use it.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

Spinnekop wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:52 am
overl0ad wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:43 pm
justonwo wrote:
Mon Sep 12, 2022 11:05 pm
How does the phone app work with 9200 for updates and connectivity? It's been incredibly clunky - downright unusable - for 9100. I can't update my drivetrain using the phone app - I always get an error that the wireless connection isn't strong enough.

I don't have a PC so can't use my computer to do the update.
Works fine. There's actually no "home use" hard wired update.

The cable supplied is meant for charge only

But note that to update the shifters. You need to hard wire it. So might be worth getting a spare cable just for that.
Still? After a year Shimano still can't figure it out how to update software wirelessly? Why?
So I have to go bug my bike shop to update my levers that is being done by their competitors at home in 2 minutes. :unbelievable:
Supposedly after the first firmware update for the shifters, all subsequent ones can be installed wirelessly.

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 7:10 am
A nice find on the redesigned outer cage. Now I'm anxiously waiting to see if the new cage is lighter 😎 Whoever gets the new cage first please take a side-by-side comparison photo if possible. Thanks!

ps I Googled Y3GK98040 and found a document dated Sept. 2021 showing this part number. So either Shimano gave the wrong part number or the redesigned part will share the same part number as the original part 🤷‍♂️

https://dassets.shimano.com/content/dam ... 0-4812.pdf
Shimano (US) just confirmed that the outer plate with the redesigned tab (they call it chain guard) shares the same part number as the original design. All the outer plates with the original design have been pulled from all their warehouses so any new order for that part number will contain the redesigned chain guard.

justonwo

by justonwo

Guys, I can't for the life of me find Shimano's dealer manual for 9200. I'm looking for Shinano's instructions for FD and RD setup in particular. Can anyone point me to the pdf?
2020 Pinarello F12 AXS Red (Zipp 353)
2021 S-Works Aethos Di2 9200 (Alpinist CLX II)
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

Retired: 2014 S-Works Roubaix
2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

justonwo wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:34 pm
Guys, I can't for the life of me find Shimano's dealer manual for 9200. I'm looking for Shinano's instructions for FD and RD setup in particular. Can anyone point me to the pdf?
RD-R9250 https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/RARD0 ... 02-ENG.pdf

FD-R9250 https://si.shimano.com/en/pdfs/dm/RAFD0 ... 01-ENG.pdf

milanv

by milanv

justonwo wrote:
Tue Sep 13, 2022 6:34 pm
https://bettershifting.com/installation-guides/

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

I've been working on updating this page, but progress has been slow: https://bettershifting.com/learn-how-to ... mentation/

Or life has been busy.

Or maybe it was that 280km ride Saturday that kinda knocked me out the two days after :)

justonwo

by justonwo

Thanks guys!!
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

Belisarius

by Belisarius

justonwo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:38 pm
Brendan wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:25 pm
So far I am loving this setup...

Definitely little noisier shifting in the front, but hasn't missed a beat yet. PM is also very close to my trainer too in terms of accuracy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
You haven't had any chain drops or performance issues? The carbon chainrings are interesting, but I worry about the performance.
Sir, do worry as I feel I just wasted 15,000 USD to be underated by a 5400$ problematic driveline... So what is the redesigned tab, is it the Y3GK98040 part?

Brand new Colnago V3RS, Enve 5.6 SES 240 DT Swiss (also new), new DA9270. Sep 3 first ride, Sep 7 do the first firmware update, that same ride after, two chain drops under load. Specifically, under load, accelerating on the darn usless 36T, then mid casette switch to 52 chainring and sure enough, clonk, FD threw it out. I need 52/40 or 54/40 but I have the 40t on backorder...

Bakc to chain drops, recheked the limits, it appeared a bit more than the 1.5mm recommended, LBS readjusted, dropped the FD 1mm as well. No more drops BUT BUT BUT 14 or 15t at the rear the RD hesitates and falsely engages a higher sprocked then PING drops to actual intended sprocket (clicked). Bit sof rattles too in varying configuration, the low or high gears. Bakc to the PING rear cassette drop, that PING have not heard since 2014, when last using DA/UG cassettes and Shimano chains for the last time, switching to a SRAM 1190 with Campy SR chains on all bikes, and 50,000 KMS OF NIRVANA zero DROPS (I am excluding a worn 53/39T drop as the wear caused the drops and new chainrings immediatelly fixed).

9270 forces us to all Shimano, no choice, and 9270 is precise, quiet, matching, and, some instances, inferior to my 9100 RDs and Yoko cable mechanical. YES DA9270 inferior to my 9100 with SRAM cassette and Campy SR chains even on FAST and VERY FAST settings. Quiet? SURE! More performant than my 9100 hybrid? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

LBS, Shimano rep in (very few DA9270s sold) with the professional new tool, and they find a bit of a DA chain twist explaining the false rear catches and the downshift to 15t erratic hesitaiton.. WELL OF COURSE, the two chain throws slightly very slightly twisted my chain- which BTW, never happened to me on Campy SR chains that have superior alloys and steels and much higher torsional and static bend n.m rigidity numbers at equal weight...

Additional issues, the DA casette is SOFT and weak, intended to keep it light... So grab it with fingers and you can squeeze cogs together... this NEVER EVER happends on monoblock SRAM or Campy Casettes (higher tensile steels and all).

Ok so this DA Shimano chain is a vast improvement over 9000 and 9100, seems stiffer in the travel direction, but inferior in torsional rigidity if one to two drops twist it into becoming noisy, and off cog axis at the rear....

I only have 290kms, and this system is new, i cannot experiment yet with Campy 12 or SRAM, and compatibility may be a real PITA (vs 9100-mech where they worked well across systems). Campy SR 12 is 5.1, so introducing a 5.1mm chain (lets forget the load shifting), could cause issue (though the 5.3mm Campy SR 11 worked flawlessly and reliably with Shimano and SRAM 11 speed casettes).

justonwo

by justonwo

ipenguinking wrote:
Sat Sep 10, 2022 12:12 am
Another update - my mechanic friend who's also a LBS wrench came to my house last night. He filed the cage's tab 1/4 thinner and slighlty shorter. The rattle is gone after filing, at least when testing on the stand as well as riding around the block. This is the friend who has been helping me on this particular issue and called Shimano numerous time about the solution. Then he called me few minutes ago about Shimano is going to make new cage with different tab design since many customers have reported this problem. The technical team told him the decision was made this morning and it will take approximately a month before sending new cages out. So call Shimano for new cage if you're experience the same problem.
Do you have a photo of the specific part of the RD cage that's making noise?
2006 Cervelo Soloist
2021 S-Works Epic

2020 S-Works Roubaix
2020 Canyon Ultimate
2018 S-Works Camber

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

justonwo wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 5:56 pm
Do you have a photo of the specific part of the RD cage that's making noise?
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 17.51.07.png

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

Belisarius wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 3:07 pm
Sir, do worry as I feel I just wasted 15,000 USD to be underated by a 5400$ problematic driveline... So what is the redesigned tab, is it the Y3GK98040 part?
Shimano refers to the tab as the chain guard. The chain guard is part of the outer plate of the rear derailleur cage. In the redesigned outer plate, which uses the same part number Y3GK98040 as the one with the original design, the chain guard tapers off toward the bottom. I drew the outline of the redesigned chain guard in the photo below. In theory, by trimming that part of the chain guard off, it is less likely for the chain to strike the chain guard.
Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 17.42.19.png

overl0ad

by overl0ad

Belisarius wrote:
justonwo wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:38 pm
Brendan wrote:
Sun Sep 04, 2022 9:25 pm
So far I am loving this setup...

Definitely little noisier shifting in the front, but hasn't missed a beat yet. PM is also very close to my trainer too in terms of accuracy.

Sent from my Pixel 6 Pro using Tapatalk
You haven't had any chain drops or performance issues? The carbon chainrings are interesting, but I worry about the performance.

Brand new Colnago V3RS, Enve 5.6 SES 240 DT Swiss (also new), new DA9270. Sep 3 first ride, Sep 7 do the first firmware update, that same ride after, two chain drops under load. Specifically, under load, accelerating on the darn usless 36T, then mid casette switch to 52 chainring and sure enough, clonk, FD threw it out. I need 52/40 or 54/40 but I have the 40t on backorder...

Bakc to chain drops, recheked the limits, it appeared a bit more than the 1.5mm recommended, LBS readjusted, dropped the FD 1mm as well. No more drops BUT BUT BUT 14 or 15t at the rear the RD hesitates and falsely engages a higher sprocked then PING drops to actual intended sprocket (clicked). Bit sof rattles too in varying configuration, the low or high gears. Bakc to the PING rear cassette drop, that PING have not heard since 2014, when last using DA/UG cassettes and Shimano chains for the last time, switching to a SRAM 1190 with Campy SR chains on all bikes, and 50,000 KMS OF NIRVANA zero DROPS (I am excluding a worn 53/39T drop as the wear caused the drops and new chainrings immediatelly fixed).

9270 forces us to all Shimano, no choice, and 9270 is precise, quiet, matching, and, some instances, inferior to my 9100 RDs and Yoko cable mechanical. YES DA9270 inferior to my 9100 with SRAM cassette and Campy SR chains even on FAST and VERY FAST settings. Quiet? SURE! More performant than my 9100 hybrid? ABSOLUTELY NOT.

LBS, Shimano rep in (very few DA9270s sold) with the professional new tool, and they find a bit of a DA chain twist explaining the false rear catches and the downshift to 15t erratic hesitaiton.. WELL OF COURSE, the two chain throws slightly very slightly twisted my chain- which BTW, never happened to me on Campy SR chains that have superior alloys and steels and much higher torsional and static bend n.m rigidity numbers at equal weight...

Additional issues, the DA casette is SOFT and weak, intended to keep it light... So grab it with fingers and you can squeeze cogs together... this NEVER EVER happends on monoblock SRAM or Campy Casettes (higher tensile steels and all).

Ok so this DA Shimano chain is a vast improvement over 9000 and 9100, seems stiffer in the travel direction, but inferior in torsional rigidity if one to two drops twist it into becoming noisy, and off cog axis at the rear....

I only have 290kms, and this system is new, i cannot experiment yet with Campy 12 or SRAM, and compatibility may be a real PITA (vs 9100-mech where they worked well across systems). Campy SR 12 is 5.1, so introducing a 5.1mm chain (lets forget the load shifting), could cause issue (though the 5.3mm Campy SR 11 worked flawlessly and reliably with Shimano and SRAM 11 speed casettes).
I had the same issue with the system shifting from the little ring to the big ring on its own. I asked round here but was the only one at the time

I've written off the bike since and building another. I'll let you know if I have the same issue

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

cat4forlife wrote:
Wed Sep 14, 2022 6:07 pm
Belisarius wrote:
Shimano refers to the tab as the chain guard. The chain guard is part of the outer plate of the rear derailleur cage. In the redesigned outer plate, which uses the same part number Y3GK98040 as the one with the original design, the chain guard tapers off toward the bottom. I drew the outline of the redesigned chain guard in the photo below. In theory, by trimming that part of the chain guard off, it is less likely for the chain to strike the chain guard.

Screen Shot 2022-09-13 at 17.42.19.png
That's same shape I filed down the tab on my RD. It is working so far

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com