Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Yep. On all 5 groupsets I've built so far.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

mapaha2810

by mapaha2810

ryanw wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 3:22 pm
Updated shifters today, only took 10s each but still annoying it has to be done (at present) via a wired system.
So since one of the fixes seems to be pairing between levers and the RD in some cases, it could be that once I finally receive my RD, it won't connect with my levers (and I am pretty sure they have an old firmware installed, because I own them for several weeks already) and I will not be able to do the FW update without a 160 Euro computer interface? :D great, looking forward for that frustration already :lol:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raffyyy

by raffyyy

I'm planning to build a tt bike with a r9250 rear derailleur, st-r9180 and sw-r9160. How would updating the firmware on that setup work?

survivor

by survivor

mapaha2810 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:20 pm
ryanw wrote:
Updated shifters today, only took 10s each but still annoying it has to be done (at present) via a wired system.
So since one of the fixes seems to be pairing between levers and the RD in some cases, it could be that once I finally receive my RD, it won't connect with my levers (and I am pretty sure they have an old firmware installed, because I own them for several weeks already) and I will not be able to do the FW update without a 160 Euro computer interface? :D great, looking forward for that frustration already :lol:
I believe there is a work around where you connect one lever at a time using the wire to the battery with RD connected to the battery as well and do the firmware update. You do not have to connect the FD at this point because you want to use the wire for the FD to connect to the lever instead. Do the firmware update one lever at a time. Once you have done updating both levers' firmware, just try out the whole groupset first before installing them into the frame.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

raffyyy wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:50 pm
I'm planning to build a tt bike with a r9250 rear derailleur, st-r9180 and sw-r9160. How would updating the firmware on that setup work?
connect sd300 cables with sd300 / sd50 adapter (EW-AD305) and update the firmwares of st-r9180 and sw-r9160

mapaha2810

by mapaha2810

survivor wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:54 pm
mapaha2810 wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 4:20 pm
ryanw wrote:
I believe there is a work around where you connect one lever at a time using the wire to the battery with RD connected to the battery as well and do the firmware update. You do not have to connect the FD at this point because you want to use the wire for the FD to connect to the lever instead. Do the firmware update one lever at a time. Once you have done updating both levers' firmware, just try out the whole groupset first before installing them into the frame.
Ah, okay :thumbup: So a wireless update is possible when I connect the RD with the battery and (a single) lever with the battery and use the smartphone app? If so, that sounds manageable before I do the final installation

Maddie

by Maddie

You can also buy a 3rd long enough Di2 cable and connect the 3rd port of the battery to one of the levers and then update it. Then do the same with the second lever.

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

So what happen if I don't update firmware and install them out of box? Do they still shift properly?

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

ipenguinking wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:19 pm
So what happen if I don't update firmware and install them out of box? Do they still shift properly?
Yes, they should work fine...

UNLESS the shift lever serial number's 5th character from the right is an X or Y. Those specific levers won't pair unless they're updated.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

It's pretty rare to having to update the firmware to make something 'work'. 99% of the firmware updates are related to expanding compatibility across components. If your group already works then you should just leave it alone.

survivor

by survivor

TerryDi2C wrote:
Mon Nov 29, 2021 5:46 pm

UNLESS the shift lever serial number's 5th character from the right is an X or Y. Those specific levers won't pair unless they're updated.
Where is the shift lever serial number located at the shift lever?

ipenguinking

by ipenguinking

survivor wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 1:51 am
TerryDi2C wrote:

On the side of downshift blade, very visible. The QR code for pairing is right next to the serial number.

I'm thinking about pair RD, FD and shifters before install them on the bike.
1. Connect RD and FD to battery
2. Charge the battery via RD for an hour or two
3. Open the e-tube app on the phone
4. Set RD to BT LE connection mode
5. Pair RD and RD with e-tube app
6. Add shifters to e-tube app by scan QR code
7. Optional - Unplug FD and connect the cable to each lever for firmware update

Is this correct? I tried to read the documenations in Shimano's e-tube site and gave up.

survivor

by survivor

ipenguinking wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 am
survivor wrote:
TerryDi2C wrote:

On the side of downshift blade, very visible. The QR code for pairing is right next to the serial number.
Just checked mine and the serial number's 5th character from the right is NOT an X or Y. Waiting for the frame to arrive. Hopefully everything will be ok when I set it up.

akaspin

by akaspin

ryanw wrote:
Is it possible to connect wire to the shifter on taped handlebar? I see that it's possibe. But just for sure - can you post the photo?

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

ipenguinking wrote:
Tue Nov 30, 2021 3:13 am
survivor wrote:
TerryDi2C wrote:

I'm thinking about pair RD, FD and shifters before install them on the bike.
1. Connect RD and FD to battery
2. Charge the battery via RD for an hour or two
3. Open the e-tube app on the phone
4. Set RD to BT LE connection mode
5. Pair RD and RD with e-tube app
6. Add shifters to e-tube app by scan QR code
7. Optional - Unplug FD and connect the cable to each lever for firmware update

Is this correct? I tried to read the documenations in Shimano's e-tube site and gave up.
Yes that would work.

Shimano tell you to link it all up before install and update shifters.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com