Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ritxis

by Ritxis

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:58 pm
IIRC even shimanos patents for "electronic braking" show a hydraulic link between lever and caliper.
So the electronics is more likely to be for monitoring, modulation and possibly ebike integration. Not full brake by wire. Barely even servo assisted.
That is, who would notice wireless brakes? not to mention the weight

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StevieB

by StevieB

ghostinthemachine wrote:
Wed Jun 16, 2021 6:58 pm
IIRC even shimanos patents for "electronic braking" show a hydraulic link between lever and caliper.
So the electronics is more likely to be for monitoring, modulation and possibly ebike integration. Not full brake by wire. Barely even servo assisted.
ABS! That's what the braking electronics will be for. ABS is already here for ebikes, and it's coming for regular road bikes; just a matter of time. You have most of the needed hardware in place on Di2/Disc bikes already. Microscopic chance at most to see it this gen, since I think the braking focus has been on reducing the remaining drawbacks of road discs. But before long...

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Until UCI reduces the legal weigh limit, is there a 'real' reason why any manufacturer would focus on that?

If they reduced the weight by 1lb, that would not be even a challenge for manufactures to accomplish.

jlok

by jlok

Butcher wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:18 am
Until UCI reduces the legal weigh limit, is there a 'real' reason why any manufacturer would focus on that?

If they reduced the weight by 1lb, that would not be even a challenge for manufactures to accomplish.
Disc brake has just reset the weight reduction game to 8kg+. UCI and the industry don't need to lower the weight limit just yet.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

ullmanz

by ullmanz

jlok wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:38 am
Butcher wrote:

Disc brake has just reset the weight reduction game to 8kg+. UCI and the industry don't need to lower the weight limit just yet.
Top end road bikes are still right at the UCI mark even with disc brakes, aren't they?
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

I see these race bikes weighing nearly 8kg. Lots of videos showing bikes in the Peloton on YouTube

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

S-works tarmac with discs and DA di2 will squeak under 6.8kg (without pedals though depending on your frame size)
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

openwheelracing

by openwheelracing

GCN shows Peter Sagan's SL7 at 7.29kg. Not bad. I remember seeing WVA's new Cervelo in the high 7s.

bikewithnoname

by bikewithnoname

Yeah, pedals, cages, computer mount, timing chips, race numbers, power meters all add up.
"We live in an age when unnecessary things are our only necessities." Oscar Wilde

jlok

by jlok

ullmanz wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 2:53 pm
jlok wrote:
Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:38 am
Butcher wrote:

Top end road bikes are still right at the UCI mark even with disc brakes, aren't they?
Yeah, top end. I think we can build a 7kg rim brake with Ultegra easily?

If I were the marketing guys I'd tone down the weight advantage for now (SRAM is so successful here) and focus on other bullet points. When there is no more card to play, release super doper light weight disc brake blablabla.

Don't get me wrong. I have a single disc brake bike and love it. I just can't swallow the marketing bs of UCI-bike brands conglomerates.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

This thread changes regularly but there is no incentive to get the bike weight down because of the rule.

I'm willing to say if it was a 6kg limit, the manufacturers would design things lighter. Since there is no incentive, why invest the resources? Look what Specialized did with the Aethos. Look what other manufacturers could do. Lots of untapped ideas because of the rule.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

I think you're underestimating the cost of making lighter parts that perform at least as well in all other ways. It can be done, but there's a financial tag attached. Not too many people spend 15 or 20 thousand $ on one bike.

Many modern Dura Ace / Record components are heavier now than 30 years ago, but who would exchange the functionality?

Edit: many is pushing it: some is more accurate
Last edited by tjvirden on Thu Jun 17, 2021 6:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lina

by Lina

The weight rule has also driven a ton of aerodynamic innovation. If there wasn't a weight limit we'd all be riding round tube bikes because weight would be number one selling point.

tjvirden

by tjvirden

Yes, just like Eddy Merckx's "Hour" Colnago special: 5.5Kg but that wasn't relevant!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Besides the 6.8kg rule, UCI actually forced the industry not to overly pursue aerodynamics in 2000... if it were not for the rule, today's racing bikes would be in completely different shapes yet far much faster.