Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Steve K

by Steve K

mrlobber wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 2:27 pm
So I've got the first 12 speed setup in da house, but in a TT variant, that is, the shifters are R9160, so the only possible shifting mode for FD is full syncro.
What I haven't figured out is, how to microtune the FD? Is this even possible in this situation? :noidea: All the videos around use the front shifter for that when in adjustment mode, but in the TT setup, of course, that's not available.
If you double tap the mode button on the rear derailleur while you are in adjustment mode, you will enter in the TT front derailleur adjustment. But it will only work under the same circumstances as the normal adjustment mode (largest cog on cassette gives you low limit and high trim, smallest cog on cassette and big ring gives you high limit)

Ritxis

by Ritxis

liam7020 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:39 pm
I've used Campag and SRAM electronic groups before but DA Di2 12 speed is my first experience with Shimano. I'm having difficulty getting the levers to pair with the system and of course I failed to do the pairing before installation but I haven't bled the brakes yet so not too big of a deal.

I managed to scan the QR codes on the levers using the app but the levers aren't shifting. I pulled the levers off again and connected them to the battery one at at time via the FD cable. This partially worked - when I paired the left lever in this manner it worked immediately and I thought my woes were over but when I paired the right lever in the same manner it also worked but then left lever stopped shifting again. I repeated the procedure with the same result, the levers appear to only be pairing one at a time.

Looking at page 478 of this thread and onwards it looks like I may need to do a firmware update on these levers. If my understanding is correct, if I connect a third cable to the battery and then plug one lever into this cable and the other one to the FD cable they should pair simutaneously? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks.
if you connect the shifterss by cable to the battery, they will work without problems and you will not need to update the firmware
as you say there is a firmware update to correct pairing problems in some units......in principle to update shifter firmware, they must be connected directly to an SM-PCE02, I don't know if having them connected directly by cable to the battery, the update could be done by the smartphone, if someone can clarify and/or look at Terry's web https://bettershifting.com/

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

milanv

by milanv

liam7020 wrote:
Sat Nov 05, 2022 9:39 pm
I've used Campag and SRAM electronic groups before but DA Di2 12 speed is my first experience with Shimano. I'm having difficulty getting the levers to pair with the system and of course I failed to do the pairing before installation but I haven't bled the brakes yet so not too big of a deal.

I managed to scan the QR codes on the levers using the app but the levers aren't shifting. I pulled the levers off again and connected them to the battery one at at time via the FD cable. This partially worked - when I paired the left lever in this manner it worked immediately and I thought my woes were over but when I paired the right lever in the same manner it also worked but then left lever stopped shifting again. I repeated the procedure with the same result, the levers appear to only be pairing one at a time.

Looking at page 478 of this thread and onwards it looks like I may need to do a firmware update on these levers. If my understanding is correct, if I connect a third cable to the battery and then plug one lever into this cable and the other one to the FD cable they should pair simutaneously? Any advice would be gratefully appreciated. Many thanks.
Yes, FW update.
https://bettershifting.com/installation ... ft-levers/

mrlobber

by mrlobber

Steve K wrote:
Sun Nov 06, 2022 4:53 am
If you double tap the mode button on the rear derailleur while you are in adjustment mode, you will enter in the TT front derailleur adjustment. But it will only work under the same circumstances as the normal adjustment mode (largest cog on cassette gives you low limit and high trim, smallest cog on cassette and big ring gives you high limit)
Thanks, this was exactly what I was looking for! :thumbup:
Yes, phone works too as ipenguinking suggested, but, as with all software based stuff, better not to rely on it :D
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

polpy

by polpy

Is anybody running 9200 with an easton ec90 crank and sigeyi spider with carbon ti evo chainrings? Image

kode54

by kode54

No, but running THM Clavicula SE with Carbon-Ti rings.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

vongarces

by vongarces

Running the Ultegra 12 speed w the Easton EC90 crank, Sigeyi power meter, and Carbon Ti EVO rings

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

polpy

by polpy

vongarces wrote:Running the Ultegra 12 speed w the Easton EC90 crank, Sigeyi power meter, and Carbon Ti EVO rings

I guess it does work properly if you are running it? Any advice for my new build?

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Have there been any creaking issues with the 9200 and 8100 cassettes as some experienced with the 9100 and 9000 cassettes? Something to do with the design of the carbon fiber carriers for the biggest cogs.

kode54

by kode54

No issues so far on my two bikes with 12-speed. Both 11-30T
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

milanv

by milanv

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sun Nov 13, 2022 2:39 pm
Have there been any creaking issues with the 9200 and 8100 cassettes as some experienced with the 9100 and 9000 cassettes? Something to do with the design of the carbon fiber carriers for the biggest cogs.
Yes, old revisions of 8100 cassettes are faulty, many information in this thread. :wink:

vongarces

by vongarces

polpy wrote:
vongarces wrote:Running the Ultegra 12 speed w the Easton EC90 crank, Sigeyi power meter, and Carbon Ti EVO rings

I guess it does work properly if you are running it? Any advice for my new build?
polpy wrote:

Easton crank is giving me issues but it has nothing to do w Shimano. The collar is plastic so it easily strips. Ends up getting loose within a few days and creates play.

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

vongarces wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:05 am
Easton crank is giving me issues but it has nothing to do w Shimano. The collar is plastic so it easily strips. Ends up getting loose within a few days and creates play.

Get the cane creek metal version to replace it!

polpy

by polpy

Knightyboy27 wrote:
vongarces wrote:
Wed Nov 16, 2022 12:05 am

Get the cane creek metal version to replace it!
+1 i also have the cc one here for the new build.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

vongarces wrote:
polpy wrote:

polpy wrote:

Had one but swapped to Shimano after the cranks failed. Shifting is markedly better.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com