Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Berzin1 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm
What exactly is the problem here? Can any of you not ride your bikes until the new Dura-Ace comes out?

Have you guys already stripped the gruppos off your current frames in anticipation and are upset there's no sign of it anywhere?

The Covid pademic hit industry hard world-wide. You'll have to wait. Give it a rest already.

With this and the thread where posters have been complaining about shipping timelines during a global pandemic, it makes me wonder what type of level for adversity some of you would exibit if a real life crisis arises.

Jesus Christ. Two hundred and eighty pages of absolute inane drivel. Seriously, one of the mods needs to close this stupid thread already.
You may or may not have some valid points, but just as an aside, this is a forum whose raison d'etre is discussing fairly high end bicycle components; it's already fairly divorced from 'real life crises'. What exactly were you expecting?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

raggedtrousers wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 9:03 pm
Berzin1 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm
What exactly is the problem here? Can any of you not ride your bikes until the new Dura-Ace comes out?

Have you guys already stripped the gruppos off your current frames in anticipation and are upset there's no sign of it anywhere?

The Covid pademic hit industry hard world-wide. You'll have to wait. Give it a rest already.

With this and the thread where posters have been complaining about shipping timelines during a global pandemic, it makes me wonder what type of level for adversity some of you would exibit if a real life crisis arises.

Jesus Christ. Two hundred and eighty pages of absolute inane drivel. Seriously, one of the mods needs to close this stupid thread already.
You may or may not have some valid points, but just as an aside, this is a forum whose raison d'etre is discussing fairly high end bicycle components; it's already fairly divorced from 'real life crises'. What exactly were you expecting?
The raison d'etre of this thread is "Shimano bad."

Last release was just before the TdF, this year "OMFG, why haven't we seen anything yet, they're going to go out of business! I can't believe they've dropped the ball by not meeting my arbitary expectations! If it doesn't slice AND dice, why would anyone want it?"

TheRich

by TheRich

FlatlandClimber wrote:
Wed May 05, 2021 8:09 pm
With people hating on SRAM being a close second.
SRAM people: It has to have this SRAM feature
Everyone else: No, it doesn't
SRAM people: Why are you hating on SRAM!?!

Get real.

FlatlandClimber

by FlatlandClimber

TheRich wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:08 pm
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Get real.
Shimano People: "SRAM bad!"
Cervelo P5 Disc (2021) 9.1kg
Factor Ostro Gravel (2023) 8.0kg
S-Works SL8 (2023) 6.3kg

*weights are race ready, size 58/L.
Sold: Venge, S5 Disc, Roubaix Team, Open WI.DE, Émonda, Shiv TT, Crux, Aethos, SL7

Alfus

by Alfus

OnTheRivet wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 6:46 pm
Butcher wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:57 pm
I'm not on the fence, I'm all about Campagnolo. It it matters, I'm waiting for all the components for my EPS12 to show up at the LBS. I know what it's like to wait.
If I could get EPS 12 I'd be riding that now.
Come on, eps? Seriously?😂😂

Andrew69

by Andrew69

TheRich wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Get real.
As a person that got sick of waiting for 9200 and that went out and bought SRAM, the only thing I wanted in 9200 was an accurate PM
I dont care about wireless (it is nice to setup but after that it just doesnt matter), or 12 speed (11 is more than enough for me), but an accurate PM was important
I have several PM's over several bikes and I wanted a setup that was displaying power consistantly over every bike

Other than that, I could not care less about anything else because I know it would be more than good enough for little old me :thumbup:

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TheRich wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Get real.
I use both...

When Shimano ppl say they want a SRAM feature.. 99.999999999% of that just refers to being "wireless"
2024 BMC TeamMachine R
2018 BMC TImeMachine Road
2002 Moots Compact-SL
2019 Parlee Z0XD - "classified"
2023 Pivot E-Vault

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

[Nevermind]

RussellS

by RussellS

Ritxis wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:40 pm
Are you sure that Shimano sponsors so many teams? that they carry Shimano groups, it does not mean that they sponsor them directly ........
OK. No I do not know if Shimano directly sponsors so many teams. Or gives everything free or at reduced cost. But I am thinking of it like all the other sports I see on TV. Or maybe in person. Football, basketball are big in the USA. I am 100% certain no college or pro player pays for his/her own shoes. I see that Nike logo on many uniforms worn by sports teams. In my high school, again High School, the main varsity basketball team got free shoes given to the players. Not the JV team though. So companies sponsoring everyone and anyone for publicity is very common. Nike, Adidas, Puma, Converse are the big sneaker companies. With four comanies covering 100% of all sports shoes, if your shoes are on enough players, they will be seen. Kind of like with bike racers. Just three companies have 100% of the market. Campagnolo, Shimano, SRAM. So its obvious when your product is displayed. As for not giving free products but discounting them instead. Shimano still has to make the parts to sell at a discount. Its not free sponsorship, but its still sponsorship. The product is out there to be seen by the public.

As for so many teams. I would say yes. 20 pro UCI teams. Probably at least as many second tier teams. And probably all the European countries have national state teams. I think in Asia, Central America, and South America cycling is much bigger than in the US. So lot of local pro teams there. I would guess there are a lot of pro, amateur cycling teams to sponsor all around the world. And Shimano has a majority of them.

TheRich

by TheRich

spdntrxi wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 11:05 pm
TheRich wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Get real.
I use both...

When Shimano ppl say they want a SRAM feature.. 99.999999999% of that just refers to being "wireless"
And when people question the utility of it, a bunch of neurotic fan bois lose their minds and completely ignore any and all downsides. A lot of people enjoy the way Di2 just keeps working without any interaction other than usage for months on end.

Or it's simultaneously "SRAM holds the patent" (which is silly) and "Shimano HAS to do it!" Just today it's some version of "Shimano won't be able to supply teams." It's always something, and it's always silly.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:42 am

And when people question the utility of it, a bunch of neurotic fan bois lose their minds and completely ignore any and all downsides. A lot of people enjoy the way Di2 just keeps working without any interaction other than usage for months on end.

Or it's simultaneously "SRAM holds the patent" (which is silly) and "Shimano HAS to do it!" Just today it's some version of "Shimano won't be able to supply teams." It's always something, and it's always silly.

Currently nobody brings up SRAM in this thread more than you.

TheRich

by TheRich

Andrew69 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 10:52 pm
TheRich wrote:
FlatlandClimber wrote:

Get real.
As a person that got sick of waiting for 9200 and that went out and bought SRAM, the only thing I wanted in 9200 was an accurate PM
I dont care about wireless (it is nice to setup but after that it just doesnt matter), or 12 speed (11 is more than enough for me), but an accurate PM was important
I have several PM's over several bikes and I wanted a setup that was displaying power consistantly over every bike

Other than that, I could not care less about anything else because I know it would be more than good enough for little old me :thumbup:
There are literally three other options for a Dura Ace PM.
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:51 am
Currently nobody brings up SRAM in this thread more than you.
I guess saying that is easier than justifying shitposts.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Fri May 07, 2021 12:55 am

There are literally three other options for a Dura Ace PM.

More than that, but none of them can cope with the asymmetry in the right crank / spider. There are of course pedal-based options and the Garmin Rally at least supports SPD-SL now.

andrewbn42

by andrewbn42

RDY wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:37 pm
I think you're under counting. Teams won't even accept it unless they get a shitload of spares for anything that can break (that's everything basically on a pro's bike). Most of the big teams will usually put a fresh chain on every 500-1500km, depending on the rider (some sprinters it's daily) ... and that's not accounting for the ones that get damaged or broken. Chainrings probably 2-3000km. Derailleur pulley wheels about the same. Imagine how many a team goes through in a grand tour. They go through loads of discs. Derailleurs and brifters often get damaged or broken. Cranksets get badly dinged all the time. You're talking about a huge parts bin. Continental / Ams probably won't get much until 2023 unless they're 'influencers' and given the VIP treatment - from what I hear, most of them already have to make parts last a lot longer than previously, as Shimano have virtually nothing in the supply chain.
Let’s be honest, and add a zero to that chainring life. If you stay on top of chain wear, shimano chainrings last a long time. I have some with 25000+ miles on them, and they are ridden in all conditions. Also, historically, non-world tour teams often don’t get gear on the first rollout. It’s not uncommon to see some overlap in the peleton, because not all teams running shimano are full shimano sponsored. Teams that have other wheel, component, etc sponsors don’t have the same priority.

IceLed

by IceLed

Key bike component imports see a bump in March — but not nearly enough

https://www.bicycleretailer.com/industr ... JTK7lOxXqs

Interesting read. US specific, but puts numbers behind some of the assumptions on this thread...

Here is a snippet for example :

Still small numbers

The aftermarket and repair market is relatively small compared to the OE market, as these numbers suggest — all the (non-OE) derailleurs imported in March were worth $5.5 million, which equates to perhaps $16.5 million in retail value. Meanwhile the industry imported bikes worth $130 million at the port, roughly $390 million at retail.

Understandably, most parts makers supply bike factories with OE parts before filling aftermarket orders, which has contributed to the parts shortages. An exception is that some high-end upgrade products — too fancy to be spec'd on many complete bikes — are more readily available, as are some accessories that are not included with new bikes.

Sent from my SM-G973F using Tapatalk

S-Works Venge 2019 Battleship
Previous bikes:
Canyon Aeroad CF SLX Disc 2019
Canyon Ultimate CF SL Disc
Canyon Endurace AL
Cube Agree C:62
Cube Peloton

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com