Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

milanv

by milanv

sealucky wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 am
Hey,
Just switched from Dura ace 11-30 cassette to Ultegra 11-34 on my Dura ace 9200 groupset and can't get rid of slight but constant clicking on 52-21 (its the smallest sprocket in stack of 5 sprockets) gear, this 21 sprocket is some kind of mystery for me - shifting itself is perfect through the whole cassette, but this clicking is killing me. Microaddjustments don't work: or I have bad shifting or I have clicking, looks like there is not enough space between 21 sproket and 19.
I see in Shimano documentation that 11-30 and 11-34 cassettes have different configuration.
Is anyone faced the same problem?
Welcome on the club, many many times discussed in this thread, read. :wink:

ooo

by ooo

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:27 pm
Is the SM-PCE2 of any use for 9250 and 8150 DI2 setups? Or is everything handled through the app for the 12sp DI2 components?
You can use SM-PCE2 with adaptor EW-AD305 + EW-SD300 wire
Wired firmware updates are safer
'

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

ooo wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 1:25 pm
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Is the SM-PCE2 of any use for 9250 and 8150 DI2 setups? Or is everything handled through the app for the 12sp DI2 components?
Pardon my ignorance since I haven't really considered going with 12sp DI2 until very recently so I haven't at all focused on the software side of it - so does that mean that the E-Tube PC software can still be used to do all the updates for 12sp DI2? I thought it was exclusively (mobile) app based now.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Yes. It allows for individual updating of parts and system disgnostics.
https://bettershifting.com/component/pc ... -sm-pce02/

Whereas the 11 speed had restrictions on what you could change, 12 speed allows pretty much the same features. It's only the updating of the levers that is better with the PCE02.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

ooo wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Also... new SM-PCE02s come with two link cables.. one with SD300 connector and one with the older SD50 connector.
GPLama has one of these new units :)

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

TerryDi2C wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 4:48 pm
ooo wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:
Also... new SM-PCE02s come with two link cables.. one with SD300 connector and one with the older SD50 connector.
GPLama has one of these new units :)
Thanks Terry.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

I'm on the fence, folks.

For those who've upgraded from 11sp DI2 to the new 12sp DI2, was it worth it? Would you do it again, having used 12sp for a while?

I am a rim brake user, so any question of improved disc brakes in the 12sp generation is of no matter to me.

Thanks.

js

by js

BdaGhisallo - No.

While the shift response is marginally faster, every shift we make is premeditated, so we all just learn to time our finger tap to when (and where in the pedal stroke) we want the gear to skip across the cog. So having a system that's 25% quicker to respond has made zero difference for me in the end.

Unless you need the extra cog, I don't see how you'd find a massive advantage to the 12spd upgrade - with the rim brake set-up, my understanding / memory is that your STI's would be the same shape, you'd still need to run a wire to the shifters and you get no braking advantage.

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

If you're happy with your 11-speed Di2, I'd say there is no reason to upgrade to 12-speed at this time.
I went from R8050 to R8100 myself, but I run a Di2 site :).

That said, if you want to have the latest tech/di2 and can afford it, go for it.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Thanks guys. That's what I am leaning to. I think I've just been a bit bored so my mind has wandered a bit! I just might have upgraded already but the stories about niggles with cog spacing on the cassettes causing shift issues and noise has given me pause. Perhaps I'll put this off for a while to see if these issues get sorted out by Shimano with running changes to the products as they often do.

Having two SRM DA9000 powermeters that have been absolutely rock solid is another factor causing me to hold off. I do like Shimano cranks and moving to anything else to be 12sp compatible would mean moving away from Shimano, unless Shimano can get its 9200 PM sorted out.

One thing I might do, since I don't see myself moving on from rim brakes any time soon, is to buy a set of 9250 rim brake shifters and put them on the shelf because I can foresee a time when they might be hard to come by, should I wish to make the move to 12sp in the future.

Cheers.

kode54

by kode54

I actually like the hood shape, aside from the improved brake improvements.

Like others have said, if you need a refresh or have the necessary funds to do so.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

morrisond

by morrisond

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 4:43 pm
Thanks guys. That's what I am leaning to. I think I've just been a bit bored so my mind has wandered a bit! I just might have upgraded already but the stories about niggles with cog spacing on the cassettes causing shift issues and noise has given me pause. Perhaps I'll put this off for a while to see if these issues get sorted out by Shimano with running changes to the products as they often do.

Having two SRM DA9000 powermeters that have been absolutely rock solid is another factor causing me to hold off. I do like Shimano cranks and moving to anything else to be 12sp compatible would mean moving away from Shimano, unless Shimano can get its 9200 PM sorted out.

One thing I might do, since I don't see myself moving on from rim brakes any time soon, is to buy a set of 9250 rim brake shifters and put them on the shelf because I can foresee a time when they might be hard to come by, should I wish to make the move to 12sp in the future.

Cheers.
No idea if this is till true - but in previous Di2 gen's - couldn't you program the shifters to work with groups with 1 less speed? Would 9250's be backward compatible with 11sp as aren't they still wired?

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

morrisond wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 5:39 pm
No idea if this is till true - but in previous Di2 gen's - couldn't you program the shifters to work with groups with 1 less speed? Would 9250's be backward compatible with 11sp as aren't they still wired?
That was on only one occasion when Ultegra went from 6750 to 6850. No other crossover has been possible as far as I can recall.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

morrisond wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

Cheers.
9250 rim brake shifters are still wired but the wire plugs are different. SD300 wires vs the old SD50 wires.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

morrisond wrote:
BdaGhisallo wrote:

Cheers.
the levers only give the order to RD (is this the one who "commands" in that matter) ......It didn't matter if they were 11 or 10,bBecause it is possible to mount 6770 levers with 11 RD (the series of these doesn't matter... DA, Ultegra, GRX, XTR, XT) with the derailleurs of 12,
Shimano has only allowed Tri/tt single-button lever and pushbutton compatibility..............What could have made the previous 2 button shifters compatible? sure yes, firmware update and that's it.......but he didn't want to... he could have done it only with the rim brakes

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com