Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sealucky

by sealucky

milanv wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 12:36 pm
sealucky wrote:
Tue Nov 22, 2022 10:50 am
Hey,
Just switched from Dura ace 11-30 cassette to Ultegra 11-34 on my Dura ace 9200 groupset and can't get rid of slight but constant clicking on 52-21 (its the smallest sprocket in stack of 5 sprockets) gear, this 21 sprocket is some kind of mystery for me - shifting itself is perfect through the whole cassette, but this clicking is killing me. Microaddjustments don't work: or I have bad shifting or I have clicking, looks like there is not enough space between 21 sproket and 19.
I see in Shimano documentation that 11-30 and 11-34 cassettes have different configuration.
Is anyone faced the same problem?
Welcome on the club, many many times discussed in this thread, read. :wink:
Mercy, please. 600 pages here :)
At least give me advice how to find it faster, which words should I search?

UPDATE: found posts, so the only way to solve it is to buy another cassette and hope that "this one will be OK" :((

milanv

by milanv

sealucky wrote:
Wed Nov 23, 2022 7:44 pm
milanv wrote:
sealucky wrote:
Hey,
Just switched from Dura ace 11-30 cassette to Ultegra 11-34 on my Dura ace 9200 groupset and can't get rid of slight but constant clicking on 52-21 (its the smallest sprocket in stack of 5 sprockets) gear, this 21 sprocket is some kind of mystery for me - shifting itself is perfect through the whole cassette, but this clicking is killing me. Microaddjustments don't work: or I have bad shifting or I have clicking, looks like there is not enough space between 21 sproket and 19.
I see in Shimano documentation that 11-30 and 11-34 cassettes have different configuration.

UPDATE: found posts, so the only way to solve it is to buy another cassette and hope that "this one will be OK" :((
My two Ultegra cassettes have the same clicking problem. They are from the first batches, maybe current ones are better.

I have installed the second cassette with new wheelset this weekend :x ... So, first cassette clicks on fifth sprocket, second cassette clicks on fifth sprocket and it wobbles, sprockets are not going in direct way.

So, I am going to buy Dura-ace cassette to solve this sh... bug. :unbelievable:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

With the 12-speed the tolerances needed for the other components (i.e. Freehub) need to be a lot tighter. If the rear hub (or freehub) has any issues, problems will crop up on the 12-speed group. I really don't think the root cause is the cassette. I have the 11-34 Dura Ace cassette and with no clicking on the 5th cog. Is the cassette wobble combing from the freehub? Can you mount a 11-speed cassette on the same freehub and see if there's a wobble? If you have other spare wheels, try different cassette and wheel combinations to rule out a bad freehub. Again, the same freehub might work well on a 11-speed group but not on a 12-speed group. That's because the 12-speed group needs very strict tolerances from other components.

Maddie

by Maddie

If there's a wobble, chances are it's from the little ring that is glued to the back of the cassette (biggest cog). I recomend removing it

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Maddie wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:00 am
If there's a wobble, chances are it's from the little ring that is glued to the back of the cassette (biggest cog). I recomend removing it
not necessarily. Freehubs have always had a little eccentric movement due to manufacturing tolerances being different between parts.

milanv

by milanv

Maddie wrote:
Yes, I will try to exchange both Ultegra cassettes at first, remove the glued ring then.
I have read that it helped to solve the problem for several people here.

cunn1n9

by cunn1n9

sealucky wrote:
milanv wrote:
sealucky wrote:
Hey,

You will for sure be missing the tiny little spacer on the new cassette. Without this spacer for reasons I don’t understand the shifting works fine except in the middle of the cassette as you describe.

I move a wheel between an 11 speed bike and a 12 speed bike and once when I removed the 11 speed cassette the spacer remained stuck to the 11 speed cassette without me noticing it. After putting on the 12 speed cassette I had this exact problem which was very hard to understand. I look at the 11 speed cassette and could see the spacer. Is I took of the 12 speed cassette added this spacer and it them performed perfectly as it had done previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

milanv

by milanv

cunn1n9 wrote:
Sun Nov 27, 2022 8:59 am
sealucky wrote:
milanv wrote:
sealucky wrote:
Hey,

You will for sure be missing the tiny little spacer on the new cassette. Without this spacer for reasons I don’t understand the shifting works fine except in the middle of the cassette as you describe.

I move a wheel between an 11 speed bike and a 12 speed bike and once when I removed the 11 speed cassette the spacer remained stuck to the 11 speed cassette without me noticing it. After putting on the 12 speed cassette I had this exact problem which was very hard to understand. I look at the 11 speed cassette and could see the spacer. Is I took of the 12 speed cassette added this spacer and it them performed perfectly as it had done previously.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
No, this is not the problem.

milanv

by milanv

So, several hours of mechanic job and here we go with the update of clicking a wobbling problem of my Ultegra cassettes on new wheelset. :wink: :smartass:

1. New cassette on the freehub wobbles and the 5th cog clicking problem remains. :|
2. Old cassette on the freehub wobbles less but still wobbles, the 5th cog clicking problem remains. :|
3. Old cassette without the glued ring and the special Shimano 1mm ring behind, it wobbles more than with the glued ring :x + it does not have ideal freehub movement when tightening to the correct tighten moment. :unbelievable: :x
4. Old cassette without the glued ring, voilà, it does not wobble. :) :beerchug: + the 5th cog clicking problem is lesser, it remains, but it is very very tiny.
Maddie wrote:
:beerchug: I had to give it a minor adjustment in eTube Shimano app, but it is many times better and I can live with it at the moment.
I estimate that several people will not spot it.

sealucky

by sealucky

so this problem only with 11-34 (ultegra and dura ace both), right?
bought new cassette - same problem with 5th cog clicking :(

milanv

by milanv

sealucky wrote:
Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:43 pm
so this problem only with 11-34 (ultegra and dura ace both), right?
bought new cassette - same problem with 5th cog clicking :(
Ultegra cassette?

sealucky

by sealucky

Yes

milanv

by milanv

And what about Campagnolo chain? Can anybody tell his experiences?

spartan

by spartan

can you explain or post a video what is freehub wobble?
Current Rides:

2023 Tarmac SL7 Di2 9270
ex 2019 S-works SL6
ex 2018 Trek Madone SLR Disc
ex 2016 Giant TCRAdvanced Sl
ex 2012 Trek Madone7

harblhat

by harblhat

Just switched from a DA 9100 11s crankset to an Ultegra 8100 12s crankset. While the 9100 crankset does work, front shifting on the proper 12s cranksets is noticeably better. Cleaner, less hesitation, and no occasional grinding. Both were set up with the same 8100 drivetrain in the same way.

Some here would say "no shit", but for various reasons many of us have been using 11s cranks and this is relevant info. Chainrings on 12s cranksets are slightly closer together and that makes the difference.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com