Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Aesch

by Aesch

I've upgraded to the new ultegra calipers and very happy with the upgrade. Shifters are GRX.
So much I'm swapping the front of my gravel bike too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

henau212

by henau212

Aesch wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 9:50 am
I've upgraded to the new ultegra calipers and very happy with the upgrade. Shifters are GRX.
That is one thing I don't understand. I also heard that you only get the new pad clearace with the new shifters. Do you get the better cleareance with 'old' shifters as well or are there any other benefits from swapping to the new calipers?

AlexWCS

by AlexWCS

henau212 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 am
Aesch wrote:
That is one thing I don't understand. I also heard that you only get the new pad clearace with the new shifters. Do you get the better cleareance with 'old' shifters as well or are there any other benefits from swapping to the new calipers?
I recently fitted a new Ultegra caliper on a bike with older shifters to a friends bike. I can't say I noticed any increased pad clearance but the easier bleeding process and the hex bolt pad retainer are benefits from my (mechanics) perspective. The newer sytle caliper was only a few £ more expesive and I'll definitly recommend/fit them in future over the older ones.

Aesch

by Aesch

henau212 wrote:
Thu Aug 11, 2022 10:45 am
Aesch wrote:
From what I understand the increased clearance is there however not the improved feel/actuation. Might be placebo otherwise :noidea: but I've gone from endless fiddling with the pads and rotors to keep them silent most of the times to a situation where I've set them once and they're completely silent all the time.

milanv

by milanv

uppis wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:13 pm
Does anyone know do you get the 10% extra clearance for brake pads also when you use new calipers (BR-R9270/BR-R8170) with older STI (ST-R9170/ST-R8070)?
Yes, of course.

overl0ad

by overl0ad

anyone picked up that there's now a specific DA / ULT road disc rotor?

looks heavier than the XT / XTR ones.

milanv

by milanv

overl0ad wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:01 am
anyone picked up that there's now a specific DA / ULT road disc rotor?

looks heavier than the XT / XTR ones.
I expect mine new Dura-Ace disc-brake rotors to be delivered today afternoon.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

For those running the new 12sp RDs, how's the durability of the charging port cap? I was in a shop yesterday and saw the cap on a brand new Ultegra equipped Trek Madone MIA. I mentioned it to the young salesman (who told me the bike looked "sick") and he didn't seem all that concerned.

It made me wonder about how long those caps would last and what damage or impact would be seen from using the RD out in the wild without that cap on there. I know Shimano plans to sell replacement covers but it will take the average shop a little time to get one when needed, and I can't see that stopping most riders from riding their bike.

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:23 pm
For those running the new 12sp RDs, how's the durability of the charging port cap? I was in a shop yesterday and saw the cap on a brand new Ultegra equipped Trek Madone MIA. I mentioned it to the young salesman (who told me the bike looked "sick") and he didn't seem all that concerned.

It made me wonder about how long those caps would last and what damage or impact would be seen from using the RD out in the wild without that cap on there. I know Shimano plans to sell replacement covers but it will take the average shop a little time to get one when needed, and I can't see that stopping most riders from riding their bike.
Come November I'll be on my 12sp for a year.
Covered around 10 000km at this stage? No issues.
Had to "use" the port about 3 times now.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

ODC

by ODC

BdaGhisallo wrote:

I think it's the same for the charging port of the 12 speed Power meter. With this I mean handle it with care and I wil not break. I've charged my 12 speed dura ace 5 times now and no problems. Ask me again over a year :D

damond

by damond

Spinnekop wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:30 pm
Have you only charged the system every 3000km?? Are you running it with wires? I am running it wireless and have to charge mine every 1000km!
BdaGhisallo wrote:

You won't have any problems! I am running the Dura Ace 9250 since November last year and have not had any issue. I also have a 9100-P powermeter for almost four years without any problem aswell with the charging port.

ODC

by ODC

damond wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 2:05 pm
Spinnekop wrote:
Fri Aug 12, 2022 12:30 pm
Have you only charged the system every 3000km?? Are you running it with wires? I am running it wireless and have to charge mine every 1000km!
BdaGhisallo wrote:

You won't have any problems! I am running the Dura Ace 9250 since November last year and have not had any issue. I also have a 9100-P powermeter for almost four years without any problem aswell with the charging port.
Do you shift a lot in the front and the back?
I could easily get 3000km's out of it if i'm not using the front derailleur (always on the 52). When using the front derailleur I could get around 2000km's.

kode54

by kode54

I've charged mine at least 4 times and about 6 months. Running it semi-wireless and seems that the battery doesn't last as long as the previous wired version.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

trex

by trex

Quick question.
I have an opportunity to buy a whole rd-r9250 carbon plate (someone swap it for OSPW).
Can I mount it to my Ultegra rd-r8150 to reduce weight? Is it safe to do so? If so - what would be the weight gain?
Attachments
carbon.jpg

cat4forlife

by cat4forlife

ipenguinking wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:58 pm
ipenguinking wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:53 pm
Back to problem of creaking 5th gear on my bike. The creak is still there after my mechanic checked everything with proper tools - RD hanger is straight, cassette is tight, freehub is greased and indexing is good. My mechanic gave up and said he's going to call Shimano for advice. Then the creak became more like plastic rattling after 2 more rides. And it now happens in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. With and without peadling hard. I brought the bike back to the shop and the mechanic said the noise is from lower pulley. He showed me how the noise changes by pushing the RD cage with his fingers. I've never experieced pulley problem but the noise does indeed come from pulleys to my ears. He called Shimano and the tech agreed to sent new pulleys to the shop. I'm just hoping the problem isn't related RD itself or the cages. Somehow my eyes are telling me the RD cage is little bent. I'll report back once new pulleys are installed.
Warranty pulleys arrived in 2 days. Kudos to Shimano. It took less than 10 minutes to replace those pulleys, including 5 minutes to search for directional arrow and top/bottom marking. BTW both pulleys are exactly the same. The rattle noise is mostly gone with new pulleys, except when pedaling lightly at low cadence, on 5th gear. For example when starting off from traffic light or stop sign. While it is no big deal but still annoying. My mechanic suggested that he can call Shimano again since the tech he delt said he'll send out a new RD if needed.

Anyone here think the problem is related to the rear hub? It might a coincedence but this problem started after I replaced the rear 9200 C-50 wheel with a warranty replacement. The freehub on the original wheels makes weird noise and refuses to engage fully from time to time.

ImageIMG_9131 by ipenguinking, on Flickr
Is this the same rattle that your pulley was making? Mine started making that rattle about a month ago. It happens in both chain rings and across multiple cogs. The rattle seems to happen at a certain cadence. The pulleys are correctly torqued, the direct-mount hanger is straight, and the derailleur cage appears to be straight as well.

The rattle starts about 3 seconds into the video.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hq7rqpab0c7vx ... e.mov?dl=0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com