Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

henau212

by henau212

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:42 pm
henau212 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:41 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:27 pm
My next planned upgrade is the new P2M PM that uses the stock GRX chainrings.
Is that P2M released? There were rumors, but only the single chainring GRX version made it to market to my knowledge.
The 2x PM is slightly delayed but will be available very soon.
Now available, looks pretty good. As the Shimano 9200 PM seems to deliver unreliable data again, P2M seems to be the way to go...

kode54

by kode54

ipenguinking wrote:
Sat Jul 30, 2022 5:58 pm
ipenguinking wrote:
Mon Jul 04, 2022 9:53 pm
Back to problem of creaking 5th gear on my bike. The creak is still there after my mechanic checked everything with proper tools - RD hanger is straight, cassette is tight, freehub is greased and indexing is good. My mechanic gave up and said he's going to call Shimano for advice. Then the creak became more like plastic rattling after 2 more rides. And it now happens in 4th, 5th and 6th gear. With and without peadling hard. I brought the bike back to the shop and the mechanic said the noise is from lower pulley. He showed me how the noise changes by pushing the RD cage with his fingers. I've never experieced pulley problem but the noise does indeed come from pulleys to my ears. He called Shimano and the tech agreed to sent new pulleys to the shop. I'm just hoping the problem isn't related RD itself or the cages. Somehow my eyes are telling me the RD cage is little bent. I'll report back once new pulleys are installed.
Warranty pulleys arrived in 2 days. Kudos to Shimano. It took less than 10 minutes to replace those pulleys, including 5 minutes to search for directional arrow and top/bottom marking. BTW both pulleys are exactly the same. The rattle noise is mostly gone with new pulleys, except when pedaling lightly at low cadence, on 5th gear. For example when starting off from traffic light or stop sign. While it is no big deal but still annoying. My mechanic suggested that he can call Shimano again since the tech he delt said he'll send out a new RD if needed.

Anyone here think the problem is related to the rear hub? It might a coincedence but this problem started after I replaced the rear 9200 C-50 wheel with a warranty replacement. The freehub on the original wheels makes weird noise and refuses to engage fully from time to time.

ImageIMG_9131 by ipenguinking, on Flickr
So the new pulleys did the trick?

I never rode with the stock pulleys...I replaced them with the Kogel 12/14T pulleys and never had creaking noises.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

henau212 wrote:
Thu Aug 04, 2022 9:28 am
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 11:42 pm
henau212 wrote:
Wed Jul 27, 2022 8:41 pm
pdlpsher1 wrote:
Tue Jul 26, 2022 8:27 pm
My next planned upgrade is the new P2M PM that uses the stock GRX chainrings.
Is that P2M released? There were rumors, but only the single chainring GRX version made it to market to my knowledge.
The 2x PM is slightly delayed but will be available very soon.
Now available, looks pretty good. As the Shimano 9200 PM seems to deliver unreliable data again, P2M seems to be the way to go...
Only the 24mm axle PM is on the website. But I'm told the 30mm version is also available. No specific weight was given but I'm hoping it's around 120-125g? That should make it around 100g. (using Aldhu carbon arms) lighter than the GRX crank with Stages left-side only PM.

sealucky

by sealucky

Has anyone seen 52/36 chainrings anywhere?
3-4 month of waiting everywhere...

Marvinman

by Marvinman

This may have been covered before but I can't see a clear answer.

Do the 9200 chainrings work with a Quarq DFour91? I'm not worried about aesthetics just if it will work?

Thx in advance

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

Marvinman wrote:
Sun Aug 07, 2022 4:25 pm
This may have been covered before but I can't see a clear answer.

Do the 9200 chainrings work with a Quarq DFour91? I'm not worried about aesthetics just if it will work?

Thx in advance
Yes. Either the DFour or DFour91 will work.

Marvinman

by Marvinman

:thumbup: Great thx

ricerocket

by ricerocket

sealucky wrote:
Fri Aug 05, 2022 2:47 pm
Has anyone seen 52/36 chainrings anywhere?
3-4 month of waiting everywhere...
Judging by the number of cranks w/ the rings stripped off of them on eBay, seems like that's the path if you want to have them any time soon.

uppis

by uppis

Does anyone know do you get the 10% extra clearance for brake pads also when you use new calipers (BR-R9270/BR-R8170) with older STI (ST-R9170/ST-R8070)?

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Do you experience rubbing issues atm?

uppis

by uppis

robbosmans wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 5:16 pm
Do you experience rubbing issues atm?
Yes, but with full R8070 and two sets of wheels. Have tried lots of things, works rubfree for a while but comes back for example when changing pads or when bleeding. I was thinking if BR-R8170 would help with this, calipers are not too expensive after all.

bigfloor

by bigfloor

uppis wrote:Does anyone know do you get the 10% extra clearance for brake pads also when you use new calipers (BR-R9270/BR-R8170) with older STI (ST-R9170/ST-R8070)?
You get 10% extra, it's a feature of the new callipers

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk

uppis

by uppis

bigfloor wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 7:05 pm
uppis wrote:Does anyone know do you get the 10% extra clearance for brake pads also when you use new calipers (BR-R9270/BR-R8170) with older STI (ST-R9170/ST-R8070)?

Sent from my SM-T860 using Tapatalk
Great, thanks, thats what I read as well, but wasn't sure were new STIs required for that as well. But assumed so as shimano tells that ST-R8070 is compatible, figured it would not be if the extra clearance came as combo with ST and BR.

Hexsense

by Hexsense

uppis wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:25 pm
bigfloor wrote:
Great, thanks, thats what I read as well, but wasn't sure were new STIs required for that as well. But assumed so as shimano tells that ST-R8070 is compatible, figured it would not be if the extra clearance came as combo with ST and BR.
two things seems to be going on
1) Caliper has the piston that roll back more. More piston roll back increase clearance but also normally slightly increase the lever throw before pad contact.
2) But then the new Shifter have newly tuned Servo Wave. Which provide less leverage but more piston advancement before pad touch the rotor. Then more leverage as pad touch the rotor.

So, with all new lever and caliper, you get more pad clearance for free.
With new caliper old lever, you might have a little longer lever throw. But it must be so little that Shimano green light the combo regardless.
But they don't approve new lever with old caliper though, likely because the pad would touch the rotor before new Servo Wave curve hit their high leverage part.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

uppis

by uppis

Hexsense wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:34 pm
uppis wrote:
Wed Aug 10, 2022 8:25 pm
bigfloor wrote:
two things seems to be going on
1) Caliper has the piston that roll back more. More piston roll back increase clearance but also normally slightly increase the lever throw before pad contact.
2) But then the new Shifter have newly tuned Servo Wave. Which provide less leverage but more piston advancement before pad touch the rotor. Then more leverage as pad touch the rotor.

So, with all new lever and caliper, you get more pad clearance for free.
With new caliper old lever, you might have a little longer lever throw. But it must be so little that Shimano green light the combo regardless.
But they don't approve new lever with old caliper though, likely because the pad would touch the rotor before new Servo Wave curve hit their high leverage part.
Okay, makes sense, thanks. Didn't even think about the servo wave part myself. So probably worth a try when I get the time do the wrenching.