Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

stevec1975

by stevec1975

QQ, connected by 9250 F&R Mechs and Battery to the E-Tube app (v5.02) and it says the that I have the latest firmware, (v4.04 for Rear, v4.03 for Front and v4.01 for Battery), however everyone else who got the groupset from the same place has had to update the firmware on the mechs, can someone confirm the latest version numbers on their mechs please (and/or point me where to find this on the shimano website please)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TerryDi2C
in the industry

by TerryDi2C

There has been no firmware update for the derailleurs yet, just the shift levers.

https://bike.shimano.com/en-EU/e-tube/p ... mware.html

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Thanks, finally managed to get it updated following the instructions on page 478, connecting rear to each shifter via the battery (all new to this, first time as a Di2 user!)

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 9:01 am
If you're talking about this little black nut then it shouldn't matter. The nut sets the preload of the BB bearing. To check whether the preload is set correctly see if the crank moves laterally when pushed hard from the side. If for some reason the preload isn't set the crank can move laterally and that would change the chainline.

The BB installation could also affect the crank's chainline. Watch this video for an explanation. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-a7VUSK4gmM

Ah ok. That won't be it then. The cranks were where they should be.

Have a look at the specialized vs giant braze on mount/hangar in the above post.

You can see the giant one positions the FD much closer to the seat tube. It makes sense to me that the speciaized one would require the adjustment to be inboard significantly. The -19 setting makes sense to me looking at those photos.

I'm just trying to identify the source. I'm not bashing anyone or anything.

Solve the problem, move forward sorta thing.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

It only looks like it sits further inboard on the Giant because the seat tube is wider.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

@sleeprequired, sounds like I may be having a similar/related issue to you. I'm using the R8100 FD with R8000 cranks, and I've maxed out the FD adjustment but shifting into the big ring still isn't super smooth.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

BigBoyND wrote:
Tue Dec 07, 2021 12:43 am
It only looks like it sits further inboard on the Giant because the seat tube is wider.

Yeah so their hangar has to hug the frame more. Got it.

Maddie

by Maddie

Bike24 has Ultegra FDs in stock.

bas

by bas

My FD rubs very slightly when in small chain ring/ largest rear cog. Trim adjustment doesn’t move it further inboard and have noticed that the FD is actually touching the frame in this position. Not enough to be a problem but doesn’t seem right.
Otherwise shifting is perfect even on 9100 rings, braking seems more powerful too.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

bas wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 am
My FD rubs very slightly when in small chain ring/ largest rear cog. Trim adjustment doesn’t move it further inboard and have noticed that the FD is actually touching the frame in this position. Not enough to be a problem but doesn’t seem right.
Otherwise shifting is perfect even on 9100 rings, braking seems more powerful too.

Yeah, the issue seems to be that I can't trim the FD inboard as much as I'd like. The shifing works extremely well but sometimes shifting into the big ring "catches" slightly - even with this it seems faster than 11 speed. I'm thinking of trying a 1mm spacer to move the cranks/chainline 1mm further outboard and see if that allows me the range of adjustment needed to fix.

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

thebikemanguy wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 6:03 am
bas wrote:
Wed Dec 08, 2021 12:56 am

Yeah, the issue seems to be that I can't trim the FD inboard as much as I'd like. The shifing works extremely well but sometimes shifting into the big ring "catches" slightly - even with this it seems faster than 11 speed. I'm thinking of trying a 1mm spacer to move the cranks/chainline 1mm further outboard and see if that allows me the range of adjustment needed to fix.
I think some of the bike manufacturers haven't released derailleur hangars that can operate in the middle of the trim range and are requiring more extreme adjustments.

overl0ad

by overl0ad

pdlpsher1 wrote:
Mon Dec 06, 2021 7:30 am
Regarding your -19 trim offset issue, it it possible that somehow your crank's chainline was messed up during the crank's installation? To check it take a measurement of the distance from the crank arm to the seat tube on both sides. Make sure they are the same. The BB installation could also affect the chainline. The 9200 crank and FD sits 1mm further outboard from the 9100. But the FD has already accounted for the +1mm increase in chainline so the trim offset should be 0 if the crank is positioned correctly relative to the centerline of the seat tube and that the FD mounting tab is in the correct position.

If you still have the 9150 FD (or any Shimano FD) you can swap out the conical washer from the 9150. They are the same.
this bit of info might be a lifesaver for me.

i went with the 9200 but used some THM cranks and can't seem to find a way to get the chain to not drop when going from small to big ring.

Mrmamil

by Mrmamil

I'm seeing some bike shops here in Australia posting photos of the Ultegra R8100 this week. Did anyone get their hands on their (long overdue) R8100 groupsets already?

Sleeprequired

by Sleeprequired

ms6073 wrote:
Sun Dec 05, 2021 10:09 pm
Sleeprequired wrote:
Sat Dec 04, 2021 5:46 am
When tightened down 7nm it kicks out the cage and makes it hard to align correctly.

The support bolt is just touching, it's not forcing the cage tail out at all.
I would suggest loosening the support bolt so it is not visible, loosen the mounting bolt, cant the derailleur in as far as it will go, tighten to 6-7nm. At this point, the derailleur should still be canted inward such that tightening the support bolt will move the cage into proper alignment with the chainring. If that does not happen, you might consider 'polishing' the mounting face of the braze on mount so that the derailleur can be canted even further in towards the wheel.
Ok so took it back to the bike shop and they confirmed that this braze on mount requires the -19 setting or thereabouts in order to alight correctly.

If it's 0.2mm (If) per click that's 3.8mm adjustment from 0. That's a long way off design wise.

To me that says that the derailleur is mounted too far outboard with this particular braze on mount.

It's ok at the extreme setting but ideally you'd design it to be correct without setting to -19 on the 11-52 trim.

I can see a new mount for the FD in 2022 hopefully.
Last edited by Sleeprequired on Thu Dec 09, 2021 10:24 am, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Tifosiphil

by Tifosiphil

Mrmamil wrote:
Thu Dec 09, 2021 2:00 am
I'm seeing some bike shops here in Australia posting photos of the Ultegra R8100 this week. Did anyone get their hands on their (long overdue) R8100 groupsets already?
I saw the shop I used to work at now has the groupsets in stock or at least parts of in the UK (JE James Cycles)