Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:14 pm
ms6073 wrote:
Mon Oct 11, 2021 10:48 pm
tyro13 wrote:
Thu Oct 07, 2021 7:34 am
Does anyone knows if there is comming a cassette that starts with a 14 cog? (Like previous ultegra 14-28)
The wife and I both use the Ultegra CS-R8000 14-28 cassettes, but we are niche users as this was primarlily targeted for junior racers under the age of 18 who are limited to 7.93 meters (26’) of development. I suspect that for 9200, instread of a the typical 52x14 combo requiring a dedicated cassette, Shimano is expecting juniors to pair smaller chainrings with the wider range cassettes.
Is that still a rule? I thought I heard about it ending around a decade ago. Always seemed weird to me. I've run the same gearing (39/53 11-23) since my first road bike when I was 16 and I'm 41 now. It's always felt perfect and everyone else's gearing I've tried has felt worse.
Also, the UCI doesn't limit the gearing a junior MTB or BMX racer can use.
Junior gearing is definitley still in force on the road side of things. Have a look at the recent Junior WC Road Races to see the boys and girls spinning their legs off.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Lelandjt wrote:
Tue Oct 19, 2021 2:14 pm
Also, the UCI doesn't limit the gearing a junior MTB or BMX racer can use.
The UCI doesn't give enough of a *f##k* about MTB and BMX to bother coming up with any rules.

There are hardly any regulations about what you can run in XCO and DH racing, does that mean the road bike equipment rulebook doesn't exist? :wink:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ooo

by ooo

First di2 firmware update.

Oct 20, 2021 - FC-R9200P - 4.0.6
The firmware related to wireless communication has been updated.

Oct 7, 2021 - FC-R9200-P - 4.0.5
Firmware released.
'

Maddie

by Maddie

Just a quick piece of advice. Shimano still manages to insert olives loosely in the brake port in front of the brake line mounting bolt on new STIs. If you wonder why they are missing in the bag with other loose parts like caliper mounting bolts, safety pin etc. it's because they are already hidden in the STIs. This is probably only a problem for LBS or those that assemble several bikes because they have olive spares. But if you are unaware that these olives are already in there and add a second pair of olives on the brake line then you will squeeze both causing the thread of the STI to be unrepairable. Throw away one perfect and new STI...

When I installed me levers, I remembered that this was already a thing on 9170 and 8070 but was sure that Shimano changed the assembly for the new generation. They haven't. I consider this a serious and completely unnecessary mistake. We will see destroyed threads along with buckets of tears again for sure.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

I was to excited to install my 9200 groupset that I forgot the fact that my wahoo trainer has a 11s cassette and new 12s cassette are no where to be found. Are there any alternatives that I could use on my trainer? I use ERG mode and never shift.

robbosmans

by robbosmans

You could probably use it with an 11s cassette, just find a gear that doesn’t jump.

kode54

by kode54

Maddie wrote:Just a quick piece of advice. Shimano still manages to insert olives loosely in the brake port in front of the brake line mounting bolt on new STIs. If you wonder why they are missing in the bag with other loose parts like caliper mounting bolts, safety pin etc. it's because they are already hidden in the STIs. This is probably only a problem for LBS or those that assemble several bikes because they have olive spares. But if you are unaware that these olives are already in there and add a second pair of olives on the brake line then you will squeeze both causing the thread of the STI to be unrepairable. Throw away one perfect and new STI...

When I installed me levers, I remembered that this was already a thing on 9170 and 8070 but was sure that Shimano changed the assembly for the new generation. They haven't. I consider this a serious and completely unnecessary mistake. We will see destroyed threads along with buckets of tears again for sure.
Yeah. I found out the hard way.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ccie6872 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 12:51 pm
I was to excited to install my 9200 groupset that I forgot the fact that my wahoo trainer has a 11s cassette and new 12s cassette are no where to be found. Are there any alternatives that I could use on my trainer? I use ERG mode and never shift.
No shift no worry. Just find or index one that works.

Which country are you in that has shipped the first 9270 groups?

Addict15

by Addict15

Maddie wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 11:54 am
Just a quick piece of advice. Shimano still manages to insert olives loosely in the brake port in front of the brake line mounting bolt on new STIs. If you wonder why they are missing in the bag with other loose parts like caliper mounting bolts, safety pin etc. it's because they are already hidden in the STIs. This is probably only a problem for LBS or those that assemble several bikes because they have olive spares. But if you are unaware that these olives are already in there and add a second pair of olives on the brake line then you will squeeze both causing the thread of the STI to be unrepairable. Throw away one perfect and new STI...

If you don't know that you shouldn't be installing it. It makes it so much easier to install, you only need to cut the hose to size. Then you insert a silver insert pin and remove the yellow plug. Push it into the connector on the shifter and tighten the nut, that's it!

Maddie

by Maddie

That's certainly a valid alternative. But Shimano could at least add a sticker or warning note on these yellow plugs that the olives are already placed inside.

ccie6872

by ccie6872

Karvalo wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:39 pm
ccie6872 wrote:

thx, will play around with it. I was able to find a Dogma F w/ 9200 from a shop in italy and another groupset (their last) in Germany (schedule to arrive today). VERY lucky on both fronts. Only one ride on them since it decided to rain the Bay Area after 6 months of no rain but first impression are great. The FD is crazy fast and braking power/feel are the two main initial impressions. Reminds me of SRAM hoods (without the rattle).. Again, one ride..

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ccie6872 wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 5:15 pm
Karvalo wrote:
Fri Oct 22, 2021 2:39 pm
ccie6872 wrote:

thx, will play around with it. I was able to find a Dogma F w/ 9200 from a shop in italy and another groupset (their last) in Germany (schedule to arrive today). VERY lucky on both fronts. Only one ride on them since it decided to rain the Bay Area after 6 months of no rain but first impression are great. The FD is crazy fast and braking power/feel are the two main initial impressions. Reminds me of SRAM hoods (without the rattle).. Again, one ride..
Awesome! Go buy a lottery ticket right now :D

The German place had a groupset on stock? Shipping to retailers from the UK importer is embargoed until the 19th :cry:

fbonde

by fbonde

Nice video that shows shifting speed between the old and the new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM0HASh7WPg
insta: @fbonde

pmprego

by pmprego

fbonde wrote:
Sat Oct 23, 2021 7:09 am
Nice video that shows shifting speed between the old and the new.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pM0HASh7WPg
The video is nice. The conclusion is that the speed difference is close to unnoticeable and for sure Irrelevant in the real world.

mgrl

by mgrl

Yeah, the difference appears to be absolutely dominated by things like "what position is the casette in"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com