Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lina

by Lina

RDY wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:27 pm
Robius wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:14 pm
RDY wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 12:52 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 2:39 am
And don't be surprised if even the official Shimano sponsored teams (Ineos, DSM, BikeExchange, Jumbo, FDJ) still have riders on 11spd.
Really unlikely there are more than a handful of riders on it at the Tour. I'd be doubtful if any of the teams have all their riders on it until mid '22 earliest, unless availability is way better than expected.

Having all the pro riders on it achieves nothing except robbing OEMs / punters at retail of gruppos and parts, which will sell instantly with or without *any* pros showing it off in races.
I don't think "availability" would be a problem for Pro Teams. No matter what they'll be first to ride it when it's released.
Why? Shimano gains nothing extra from it. And riders won't care if it's 11 speed or 12 speed.
Except it's bad optics if the few dozen professionals don't even have access to the newest stuff. And we'd have this forum full of people telling how it's obviously bad, or simply not available to anyone because even the pros won't ride it. And supplying the pro teams won't in any way affect their OEMs and groupset sales. We're not talking about thousands of groupsets going to pros here.

RDY

by RDY

But why would they care? They sell everything instantly anyway, and they're not bothered with trying to match supply with demand, for 105/Ultegra/DA/GRX as we've been discussing for some while.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Berzin1

by Berzin1

What exactly is the problem here? Can any of you not ride your bikes until the new Dura-Ace comes out?

Have you guys already stripped the gruppos off your current frames in anticipation and are upset there's no sign of it anywhere?

The Covid pademic hit industry hard world-wide. You'll have to wait. Give it a rest already.

With this and the thread where posters have been complaining about shipping timelines during a global pandemic, it makes me wonder what type of level for adversity some of you would exibit if a real life crisis arises.

Jesus Christ. Two hundred and eighty pages of absolute inane drivel. Seriously, one of the mods needs to close this stupid thread already.

upacs

by upacs

Berzin1 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm
What exactly is the problem here? Can any of you not ride your bikes until the new Dura-Ace comes out?

Have you guys already stripped the gruppos off your current frames in anticipation and are upset there's no sign of it anywhere?

The Covid pademic hit industry hard world-wide. You'll have to wait. Give it a rest already.

With this and the thread where posters have been complaining about shipping timelines during a global pandemic, it makes me wonder what type of level for adversity some of you would exibit if a real life crisis arises.

Jesus Christ. Two hundred and eighty pages of absolute inane drivel. Seriously, one of the mods needs to close this stupid thread already.
Don't be a party pooper. Nobody is forcing you to read 280 pages of it. Chill, grab a beer, go out and ride :beerchug:

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

Those that are on the fence and tired of waiting, why don't you just buy the Sram stuff. Luck would have it, the Dura Ace will arrive a week after you do.

At least that is how it usually works for me.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Butcher wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:00 pm
Those that are on the fence and tired of waiting, why don't you just buy the Sram stuff. Luck would have it, the Dura Ace will arrive a week after you do.

At least that is how it usually works for me.
Could you be the sacrificial lamb and just buy SRAM so that we can get Dura-Ace quicker? ha ha. It's like washing my car. Could be dry for months but as soon as I finished wiping it down, sure enough here comes the rain.

Butcher
Shop Owner

by Butcher

I'm not on the fence, I'm all about Campagnolo. It it matters, I'm waiting for all the components for my EPS12 to show up at the LBS. I know what it's like to wait.

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

When 9100 was released I was able to buy two sets of 9100 SPD-SL pedals very soon after the release. It was one of the first 9100 parts available in great quantities. I wanted to switch from Speedplay to SPD-SL so the timing was perfect. I expect the same with the 9200. Pedals are the easiest product to transition from a manufacturing standpoint. I didn't buy the rest of the groupset until the following year when prices became more reasonable and product became widely available.

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Berzin1 wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 3:15 pm

Why the *f##k* are you still commenting?

OnTheRivet

by OnTheRivet

Butcher wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 4:57 pm
I'm not on the fence, I'm all about Campagnolo. It it matters, I'm waiting for all the components for my EPS12 to show up at the LBS. I know what it's like to wait.
If I could get EPS 12 I'd be riding that now.

RussellS

by RussellS

Lina wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:48 pm
Except it's bad optics if the few dozen professionals don't even have access to the newest stuff. And we'd have this forum full of people telling how it's obviously bad, or simply not available to anyone because even the pros won't ride it. And supplying the pro teams won't in any way affect their OEMs and groupset sales. We're not talking about thousands of groupsets going to pros here.
I agree with your bad optics comments. Imagine one of those fashion clothing companies introducing their new line of clothes, and then their star models wearing last year or two year or three year ago clothes at all the parties. I have no clue about fashion clothes but assume people who follow that stuff know exactly when every item of clothes is released and whether it is in fashion. Or car companes sponsoring race cars and having ten year old cars and trucks being driven by the staff, support crews at races.

But I disagree with your "not talking about thousands of groupsets going to the pros here" comment. It literally is thousands and thousands of groupsets going to the pros. Shimano sponsors 20-30-40-50 pro teams for men and women and pro and amateur. 8 riders on each team in the Tour. Each team member needs 3-4-5 bikes each. 8x5x50=2000. And maybe I am under counting the number of riders. Maybe add in auxillary, spare riders and its 15+ riders per team. And the 4-5 bikes for each member on the team does not count the bikes the rider has at his house(s) for training. And maybe 50 teams is undercounting. Add in Brazil, USA, England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, SE Asia teams and its way more than 50 teams. It could easily be 5000 groupsets. But still Shimano supplying equipment to its sponsored teams is a little drop in the big barrel of production.

RDY

by RDY

I think you're under counting. Teams won't even accept it unless they get a shitload of spares for anything that can break (that's everything basically on a pro's bike). Most of the big teams will usually put a fresh chain on every 500-1500km, depending on the rider (some sprinters it's daily) ... and that's not accounting for the ones that get damaged or broken. Chainrings probably 2-3000km. Derailleur pulley wheels about the same. Imagine how many a team goes through in a grand tour. They go through loads of discs. Derailleurs and brifters often get damaged or broken. Cranksets get badly dinged all the time. You're talking about a huge parts bin. Continental / Ams probably won't get much until 2023 unless they're 'influencers' and given the VIP treatment - from what I hear, most of them already have to make parts last a lot longer than previously, as Shimano have virtually nothing in the supply chain.
Last edited by RDY on Thu May 06, 2021 7:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

Ritxis

by Ritxis

RussellS wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:17 pm
Lina wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 1:48 pm
I agree with your bad optics comments. Imagine one of those fashion clothing companies introducing their new line of clothes, and then their star models wearing last year or two year or three year ago clothes at all the parties. I have no clue about fashion clothes but assume people who follow that stuff know exactly when every item of clothes is released and whether it is in fashion. Or car companes sponsoring race cars and having ten year old cars and trucks being driven by the staff, support crews at races.

But I disagree with your "not talking about thousands of groupsets going to the pros here" comment. It literally is thousands and thousands of groupsets going to the pros. Shimano sponsors 20-30-40-50 pro teams for men and women and pro and amateur. 8 riders on each team in the Tour. Each team member needs 3-4-5 bikes each. 8x5x50=2000. And maybe I am under counting the number of riders. Maybe add in auxillary, spare riders and its 15+ riders per team. And the 4-5 bikes for each member on the team does not count the bikes the rider has at his house(s) for training. And maybe 50 teams is undercounting. Add in Brazil, USA, England, Spain, France, Italy, Germany, Japan, SE Asia teams and its way more than 50 teams. It could easily be 5000 groupsets. But still Shimano supplying equipment to its sponsored teams is a little drop in the big barrel of production.
Are you sure that Shimano sponsors so many teams? that they carry Shimano groups, it does not mean that they sponsor them directly ........

RDY

by RDY

Ritxis wrote:
Thu May 06, 2021 7:38 pm
Depends what you call sponsorship. Half of them it's just steeply discounted as opposed to 'free'.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com