Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Ask yourself why the failure mode would change from bolts to spider-arm. Wouldn't logic dictate if two bolts failed from shear, the next failure would also be the bolt and not the spider-arm? This is where my "fantastic origin" story makes a little more sense, but just for you I'll ask him and see if he observed any of it happening in real-time.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:32 am, edited 2 times in total.

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:09 am
Ask yourself why the failure mode would change from bolts to spider-arm. Wouldn't logic dictate if two bolts failed from shear, the next failure would also be the bolt and not the spider-arm? This is where my "fantastic origin" story makes a little more sense, but just for you I'll ask him and see if he observed any of it happening in real-time.
They were probably loose.

Regardless, it doesn't look like the crank was at fault, since we're looking at two missing chainring bolts...two missing aftermarket chainring bolts in a non-standard configuration.

Overlooking the obvious is what makes your analysis fantasy based. I could run a Shimano part through a metal shredder and you'd blame Shimano.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 12:28 am

Overlooking the obvious is what makes your analysis fantasy based. I could run a Shimano part through a metal shredder and you'd blame Shimano.

Someone mentioned failing Shimano cranks and I just happened to have come across one five days ago. That’s pretty much all.

I have nothing against Shimano as a whole, so don't resort to that straw man. What I do know is their forged cranks do fail at a suspect rate. They've also had missteps with 12spd MTB, Scylence, NA distribution (Japan's fault mostly, I sympathized with Shimano NA.) I'd buy a Shimano group for my bike if it borrowed a couple of specific eTap features...or vice-versa.

e: Shimano never did publicly acknowledge the flaw in their DA cassette carriers either. They revised the design and exchanged parts, but they never really owned up to the fact that the original design wasn’t up to par. That’s what it boils down to. Shimano’s QC and tolerances are probably better than the competition, but sometimes design flaws rear their ugly heads (see eTap battery tabs)

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Aeo wrote:
Wed Oct 16, 2019 8:21 am
Stendhal wrote:
Tue Oct 15, 2019 6:17 am
And to my way of thinking, left to shift down \ to the left direction on the rear cassette, right to shift up \ to the right direction on the rear cassette, and both to shift the front (which I do much, much less often), makes more sense and indeed is much less complicated than the two buttons on one side Di2 I've test-ridden.
Di2 can be controlled with one hand, not possible with eTAP

You can install blips on the drops and configure them in a mirrored setting if this is a requirement.
You mean run wires to make your wierless system work like the wired system?

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 3:12 am

You mean run wires to make your wierless system work like the wired system?

It's certainly not optimal. A programmable "aux" button like Di2's would be a welcome addition.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Quite frankly anyone thinking that changing Di2 to wierless resembles a step forward has rocks in their head. Bar the one step of setting a bike up out of the box wires just work, one battery to charge and plenty of customisation with shift profiles.

Wires failing through poor setup or lack of maintenance isn't a fault of the system but of the end user unlike the generations long barely adequate front shifting with Sram..

Using Tapatalk

AnkitS

by AnkitS

+1 di2 is set and forget and not even that hard to set up, its easier than legos. You plug in shifters/battery/junction/derailleurs in any order and it just works. e-tube lets you set it pretty much however you want. Like any system, proper maintenance is needed.

The cranks do have issues that Shimano needs to work out but the whole point about Kona bikes having trouble with wires is not unique to Shimano, I have seen a BlipBox crap out with sweat and what I hope to be electrolyte mix on it.

BdaGhisallo

by BdaGhisallo

Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 am
Quite frankly anyone thinking that changing Di2 to wierless resembles a step forward has rocks in their head. Bar the one step of setting a bike up out of the box wires just work, one battery to charge and plenty of customisation with shift profiles.

Wires failing through poor setup or lack of maintenance isn't a fault of the system but of the end user unlike the generations long barely adequate front shifting with Sram..

Exactly. There are a few things I would like to see in future DI2 groups but wireless is not on that list.

Sub50

by Sub50

Been rolling 9150 Di2 (direct mount calipers, bar end junction and sprint shift buttons) and 9100 mechanical over the last couple of years. Superb componentry. As with anything, there is room for improvement. Stronger rear mech chain tension, a carbon crankset and ceramic bearings would be great. Aesthetically it lost a bit on 9000 series. On the fence re. wireless as 9150 works so well.
Currently rolling a Cento10 pro with 9150 Di2 and Zipp NSW’s, after 30+ years of various steel, alloy and carbon builds.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Good news... or rumors at least, next DA Di2 will still be wired with one battery, 12 speeds but no stupid 10t small cog, smallest cogs will be 11t, should be seen on some pro bikes next spring with a launch in late 2020 according to rumblings from the peloton.

Cemicar

by Cemicar

Dan Gerous wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:04 pm
Good news... or rumors at least, next DA Di2 will still be wired with one battery, 12 speeds but no stupid 10t small cog, smallest cogs will be 11t, should be seen on some pro bikes next spring with a launch in late 2020 according to rumblings from the peloton.
Or guess?

Without 10t, there is no point in going to micro spline, which means the current 11-speed Shimano wheels will be sustained for the next 4 years.

Stueys

by Stueys

BdaGhisallo wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 9:36 am
Nefarious86 wrote:
Sat Oct 19, 2019 4:24 am

Exactly. There are a few things I would like to see in future DI2 groups but wireless is not on that list.
I'm not hugely fussed about wireless but can see the advantages past installation. No rattles, less holes in frames, etc.

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

Cemicar wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:37 pm
Or guess?

Without 10t, there is no point in going to micro spline, which means the current 11-speed Shimano wheels will be sustained for the next 4 years.
Or hopes... he says he has industry sources but, :noidea:
Stueys wrote:
Thu Oct 31, 2019 3:46 pm
I'm not hugely fussed about wireless but can see the advantages past installation. No rattles, less holes in frames, etc.
Rattles is also down to a poor initial build.

AMGRoadster

by AMGRoadster

Sub50 wrote:
Thu Oct 24, 2019 8:21 pm
Aesthetically it lost a bit on 9000 series.
As long as they do not go back to the horrid silver/black crank arms. I know it is not happening but I would really like to see them move to carbon crank arms

Not as big of a deal with the move to integrated cockpits but wireless brifters would be nice. Makes for a cleaner looking bike. They could keep the rest of the system as wired, maintaining the single, larger battery.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Frankie - B
Admin - In the industry

by Frankie - B

or... 13 speed and (semi)wireless? maybe we can only pick one.
'Tape was made to wrap your GF's gifts, NOT hold a freakin tire on.'
If you want to see 'meh' content of me and my bike you can follow my life in pictures here!