Dura-Ace R9200

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 2:29 am
MisterMuncher wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 1:43 am
The inability of eTap to shift both derailleurs at once means it'll never be my preferred option. That Shimano sequential shiting has pretty much automated that action is the tin hat on it. I live in very rolly country, and like a steady, rapid cadence. Can't drop into the wee ring and down the cassette at the same time? Useless to me.

But I'm poor, so mechanical Ultegra will have to do.
eTap AXS has its own version of syncro-shift. Also you can just hold down one paddle and then press the other to initiate an almost simultaneous front/rear shift. (Or vice-versa, hold down both paddles and release one at a time.) I find the slight delay results in a better riding experience, reducing chain slap and the potential for any other weirdness.
Mechanical has it's own version of syncro-shift as well, apparenly. You just shift both derailleurs at the same time, it's JUST like Di2.

It IS really effective and pretty transparent (aside from the noises), but I just use it as a cross-chain failsafe because no matter how well you programmed it, you're going to want something different one day.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
MisterMuncher wrote:
The inability of eTap to shift both derailleurs at once means it'll never be my preferred option. That Shimano sequential shiting has pretty much automated that action is the tin hat on it. I live in very rolly country, and like a steady, rapid cadence. Can't drop into the wee ring and down the cassette at the same time? Useless to me.

eTap AXS has its own version of syncro-shift. Also you can just hold down one paddle and then press the other to initiate an almost simultaneous front/rear shift. (Or vice-versa, hold down both paddles and release one at a time.) I find the slight delay results in a better riding experience, reducing chain slap and the potential for any other weirdness.
Mechanical has it's own version of syncro-shift as well, apparenly. You just shift both derailleurs at the same time, it's JUST like Di2.

It IS really effective and pretty transparent (aside from the noises), but I just use it as a cross-chain failsafe because no matter how well you programmed it, you're going to want something different one day.

Sure. That’s why the other half of my reply exists. If you want to split hairs over simultaneous vs a 50ms delay, that’s fine.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Riding with gloves is a non-issue. Set up both right buttons to shift down the cassette, both left buttons to shift up the cassette. Let synchro shift deal with the front chainring or set up the top "secret button" to shift the front derailleur. The e-tube app is easy enough to use twice a year and you can set a pre-set for riding with gloves and without.

If you cant hit either of the THREE di2 buttons per shifter on the newer di2 stuff, you need more than eTap to fix your problems. (ie something like fingers that can press buttons)

TheRich

by TheRich

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:25 am
TheRich wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:20 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
MisterMuncher wrote:

Sure. That’s why the other half of my reply exists. If you want to split hairs over simultaneous vs a 50ms delay, that’s fine.
Comparing a feature that doesn't exist to one that does will never be "split(ting) hairs."

We get it, you like ETap or AXS, but get real, dude. BTW, got a link to the rash of Di2 failures at Kona (because apparently it isn't water resistant), I searched up and down the interwebs and found nothing.

Alexbn921

by Alexbn921

AXS has full synchronized shift and automatic compensation shifts. I prefer full manual as i can time them better on either system.
Ride fast Take chances

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

TheRich wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:54 am

Comparing a feature that doesn't exist to one that does will never be "split(ting) hairs."

We get it, you like ETap or AXS, but get real, dude. BTW, got a link to the rash of Di2 failures at Kona (because apparently it isn't water resistant), I searched up and down the interwebs and found nothing.

Because I didn't search the web for that information. It comes second-hand from a friend who volunteers at Kona every year and has raced once. A non-zero number of bikes just stop working if it's particularly humid overnight with the bikes in the T1 staging area.

Any AXS related topic I discuss here is merely in reply to previous mentions. ;) I talk shit about eTap all the time, whether it's front shifting, the battery tabs or the now disposable PM. I'd consider switching to Di2 if they can genuinely copy eTap. If either company implements 1x14, that makes it even easier.

AnkitS

by AnkitS

^ He literally had "f****ing SRAM" stickers made.

Nefarious86

by Nefarious86

Comparing Tri bikes to anything relating to reliability is an effort in futility lol. Things only survive so long drenched in piss and salt water with non existent service intervals.

Sent from my SM-G977B using Tapatalk

Using Tapatalk

Aeo

by Aeo

SRAM is going to manufacture 53/39 rings for pro teams.

Also, nice bit of marketing by SRAM to convince people that shifting with more than one button per side is too complicated.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

Sockman

by Sockman

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 am
Comparing Tri bikes to anything relating to reliability is an effort in futility lol. Things only survive so long drenched in piss and salt water with non existent service intervals.

Hahaha shit. This is pure gold. I feel for the bike shops of the world that get dumped with tri bikes which need to be built by yesterday for tomorrow's race 🤦‍♂️

I hope the next di2 has more in the way of open protocol for wireless connectivity. That is to say, the ability to connect to an array of apps and third party devices (garmin, powermeter etc). It would be cool if you could program the shifting to an "automatic" mode based off a pre planned workout/target power!

Alfus

by Alfus

nooski wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm
U can't shift with Di2 with winter gloves

Ritxis

by Ritxis

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 3:42 am
Riding with gloves is a non-issue. Set up both right buttons to shift down the cassette, both left buttons to shift up the cassette. Let synchro shift deal with the front chainring or set up the top "secret button" to shift the front derailleur. The e-tube app is easy enough to use twice a year and you can set a pre-set for riding with gloves and without.

If you cant hit either of the THREE di2 buttons per shifter on the newer di2 stuff, you need more than eTap to fix your problems. (ie something like fingers that can press buttons)
:smartass:
:thumbup:

Hexsense

by Hexsense

nooski wrote:
Sun Oct 13, 2019 6:35 pm
U can't shift with Di2 with winter gloves
I must miss the memo as i can shift it in any condition.
Even more accurate when i customize the buttons to work similar to Etap logic (left to left, right to right. Front button of each side for front derailleur. Rear button of each side for rear derailleur. 3rd button on top of the hood to control my bike computer.) Try customize your etap buttons.

wingguy

by wingguy

Sockman wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 8:15 am
Hahaha shit. This is pure gold. I feel for the bike shops of the world that get dumped with tri bikes which need to be built by yesterday for tomorrow's race 🤦‍♂️
That’s not so bad. It’s the ones that have to be built ready for next season that get dropped off at the shop still in the bike box they’ve been sitting in marinating in piss and sweat since the last race of last season that suck.

Triathletes are gross sometimes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TheRich

by TheRich

Nefarious86 wrote:
Mon Oct 14, 2019 5:32 am

The main problem with something like Kona is that most of the bikes had been shipped and presumably partially disassembled.

If there were a rash of failures, one would think it would be newsworthy. It certainly is whenever someone's equipment fails in road racing.