2019 Venge and EW-WU111

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

changrenyong

by changrenyong

If you have the 2019 S-Works Venge or Venge Pro, where are you putting the Di2 wireless transmitter EW-WU111? I have mine in the seat tube but i am getting occasional disconnect/reconnect on my Garmin Edge 820.

L3X

by L3X

I have it in the seat tube as well, no issues with that setup so far

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

I've never had any issues running the older Ant+ EW-WU-101 and current BLE EW-WU111 in my S5 seattube over the past 3 years.

That's paired with an Edge 1000, Edge 520 Plus and Whaoo Bolt.
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

JeffK

by JeffK

Seat tube. No problems with mine
-------
2021 Factor Ostro VAM
2021 Factor LS
2018 Trek Speed Concept

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

On my Madone, I run it inline with the FD wire in the downtube. Obviously, our bikes are different, but you can pretty much put it anywhere.

kwakekeham

by kwakekeham

Throw in my technical 2 cents.

While I've seen a lot of people say that placing a wireless transmitter inside a carbon fiber tube works "fine", I've actually seen on network vector and RF spectrum analyzers what you get. And it's a huge drop in RF performance. It's not as bad as inside a metal tube but think like -20 to -30dbm. A good signal starts around -30dbm, and thin carbon might be in the sub -20 range. So think of this as line of sight transmission but now at like 10 - 20 meters away. So combined -50 - -60dbm. Or your neighbours apple watch on the far side of their home.

A human body because of all it's water in practical varies a lot. But in practical areas where there is some reflection of the signal off stuff, I've seen it in about -15 to -40dbm. So a transmitter on your back in super flat open area is like line of sight 10 - 40 meters away. Now combine those. It's not like your transmitter is like 20 - 60 meters away.

The problem with the "works fine" statement is that because it's about 4hz ( I recently ripped open an original d-fly to reverse engineer it, video on my youtube) and so little meaningful data is tranmitted and changes. That means you can loose 75% - 88% of all transmissions before someone will notice a delay in the button response that is "abnormal". If you see it saying "connected" multiple times, your loss is about 95%+ or about 1 page every 4 seconds trips out system to search again for it.

So beware of works fine. The closer you can get it to your head unit if you stick it inside a carbon tube the better, so if you're passing this near 90% loss that you're noticing it, or if it's reconnecting at 95 - 98% loss (2 - 5 % making it), then I'd try and get it up to the downtube so the human waterbag problem at least goes away and that would probably be enough to solve your problems.

I don't have a 2019 Venge so specific placement advice I can't give.

changrenyong

by changrenyong

kwakekeham wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 4:41 pm
Throw in my technical 2 cents.

While I've seen a lot of people say that placing a wireless transmitter inside a carbon fiber tube works "fine", I've actually seen on network vector and RF spectrum analyzers what you get. And it's a huge drop in RF performance. It's not as bad as inside a metal tube but think like -20 to -30dbm. A good signal starts around -30dbm, and thin carbon might be in the sub -20 range. So think of this as line of sight transmission but now at like 10 - 20 meters away. So combined -50 - -60dbm. Or your neighbours apple watch on the far side of their home.

A human body because of all it's water in practical varies a lot. But in practical areas where there is some reflection of the signal off stuff, I've seen it in about -15 to -40dbm. So a transmitter on your back in super flat open area is like line of sight 10 - 40 meters away. Now combine those. It's not like your transmitter is like 20 - 60 meters away.

The problem with the "works fine" statement is that because it's about 4hz ( I recently ripped open an original d-fly to reverse engineer it, video on my youtube) and so little meaningful data is tranmitted and changes. That means you can loose 75% - 88% of all transmissions before someone will notice a delay in the button response that is "abnormal". If you see it saying "connected" multiple times, your loss is about 95%+ or about 1 page every 4 seconds trips out system to search again for it.

So beware of works fine. The closer you can get it to your head unit if you stick it inside a carbon tube the better, so if you're passing this near 90% loss that you're noticing it, or if it's reconnecting at 95 - 98% loss (2 - 5 % making it), then I'd try and get it up to the downtube so the human waterbag problem at least goes away and that would probably be enough to solve your problems.

I don't have a 2019 Venge so specific placement advice I can't give.
Thanks for the response. The occasional disconnect/reconnect is not bothering me too much, yet. If it does, i'll move it to the downtube. I am hesitant to put it in the handlebar - i did that in the Shimano PRO Vibe aerobar on my Tarmac SL5 - because once it's in there, it's almost impossible to remove it for maintenance.

survivor

by survivor

I put my EW-WU111 inside my top tube, where the wire enters the frame. It basically sits underneath my stem. I haven't experience any issue so far. It is much closer to the head unit as compare to putting it in the seat tube though.

TonyM

by TonyM

changrenyong wrote:
Thanks for the response. The occasional disconnect/reconnect is not bothering me too much, yet. If it does, i'll move it to the downtube. I am hesitant to put it in the handlebar - i did that in the Shimano PRO Vibe aerobar on my Tarmac SL5 - because once it's in there, it's almost impossible to remove it for maintenance.
What kind of maintenance do you need to perform?

changrenyong

by changrenyong

TonyM wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 10:37 pm
changrenyong wrote:
What kind of maintenance do you need to perform?
Just in case i need to take EW-WU111 out for troubleshooting, or if it becomes faulty and needed to be replaced.

thaking

by thaking

Hello all,

I have Venge Pro 2019 with di2 ultegra. For installation of bluetooth module do I need to buy andything additional to "EW-WU111", like extension cable (150mm -SD50 Di2 Electric Wire 150mm Black)?
Where is the most easiest to install this module ?

Thank you.

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Yes, one extra SD50 needed.
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

thaking

by thaking

Are you sure ? I am not able to connect it without extension cable ?

Where is the best position to mount it, under main module and battery - seat ? How do you mount it with tape to carbon in order to prevent movment during ride ?

rainerhq

by rainerhq

Yes, I´m sure.
Wrap it into some sort of packing foam.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dDz8TJGDq3U
"Nothing compares to the simple pleasure of a bike ride"

ds240

by ds240

My EW-WU111 sits in the seat post underneath the battery. The wiring has been done so the unit forms a junction, rather than 1 wire running to the main junction on the seatpost wihtout a break. If the seatpost needs to come off I can unclip the unit there and not touch the main junction box.

Signal is strong to the wahoo unit.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com