Campy 10 speed chainrings with 11 speed drivetrain?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

dmp

by dmp

I've searched the forums and am unable to find a definitive answer for this question. Here is the situation:
I am building up a Litespeed Tuscany frame I recently acquired. It will be used primarily for commuting, but still want it to be a relatively light (even if not truly WW) bike, and am going to mount a very nice earlier generation Campy 11sp SR drivetrain from my Pinarello that I recently upgraded to post 2015SR. I did not change the crankset out, however, and only have a carbon 10speed UT Veloce crankset for the Litespeed.

Can I run an 11 speed drivetrain (including the chain) on the 10 speed chainrings, or do I need to find a new crankset or set of chainrings? 11 speed sets seem to be rather pricy even used, and I am trying to do this with parts I already have and without spending too much more.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

You can do it as I have several times in the past but the FD might have to be set up a little tighter to make it work okay. I ran 10 speed chain on my 9 speed bikes before as well but the chain would occasionally drop between the two chainrings but it was always an easy recovery. At least with the 10 speed rings I never had this problem with 11 speed chains.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ianeire

by ianeire

It'll work absolutely fine. I'm running a Chorus10 cranks and rings with a Chorus11 system and there are no issues.