Colnago E64 E-Bike

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
kgt

by kgt

No, Miguel Indurain.

guyc

by guyc

Should be on a Pinarello then

by Weenie

kgt

by kgt

It's all in your head ; )

dricked

by dricked

I could see the attraction if you were older and it made it possible for you to make it to the coffee shop for the weekly meet up with your other retired buddies. First 70yr old to drop me going up a climb is getting pushed into the ditch though lol.

bespoke

by bespoke

I was a sceptic; but did a group ride this weekend and an old boy joined us; he must have been 60+. You could tell he was a cyclist but clearly lost a bit of power. He had a Lapierre E-bike; was great we did 100km and he was with the group; and when it got hilly or really windy he could just up the gas....I actually thought it was really cool; as you get older it would be terrible to lose the social aspect of cycling - so I am all for it
Warning - Inherently biased:
www.bespokecycling.com

Calnago

by Calnago

^Agreed... I was out the other day and some guy went right by me up a hill. Not that that’s an unusual thing, but I was curious about his bike and there was a light ahead where we were able to chat a bit... he had some knee thing going on, loved cycling, but because of his bumb knee wasn’t getting out as much. His new e-bike gave him that ability to get out more, so that’s a good thing.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

MatosVelo

by MatosVelo

I have some pictures of this new Colnago E64 : https://www.matosvelo.fr/index.php?post ... ion-arrive
Like many e-road bikes, the motorisation is Ebikemotion, in the rear hub. So, this bike should weigh less than 13kg.

robeambro

by robeambro

bespoke wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 9:54 pm
I was a sceptic; but did a group ride this weekend and an old boy joined us; he must have been 60+. You could tell he was a cyclist but clearly lost a bit of power. He had a Lapierre E-bike; was great we did 100km and he was with the group; and when it got hilly or really windy he could just up the gas....I actually thought it was really cool; as you get older it would be terrible to lose the social aspect of cycling - so I am all for it
Why are you trying to make good arguments? He clearly should not pretend he's a racer and buy a scooter, or a motorbike, or an e-bike that looks sad. Why would he have any right to get a nice-looking bike? Why would he pretend he's a racer? :noidea:

WorkonSunday

by WorkonSunday

first it was a move away from full lugged design, now an e-bike. hmm....

anyway, now we officially have a reason to stay away from C series lol.

disclaimer: owner of 4 colnago's but none are C-series.
Jitensha wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2019 2:55 am
I'm surprised the E64 is based on their flagship C64. I suppose I would have been less shockeed by its existance if it was based on the CRS or CLX. I also am eager to know if these frames and tubes are being produced in Cambiago, Italy and if they have changed the C64 in any way to streamline the production/supply stream processes?
yes, same thought, i would have thought the Concept will do just fine as an ebike platform, like the bianchi and wilier aero e-bikes. but i guess it's clearly aimed at wealthy seniors who lost some of their youth but still want their bling
In the house: Colnago V1r, Colnago A1r, Wilier Cento1 Air, Scott Scale 700SL, Bianchi FSE, Colnago Concept, Colnago A1r, Specialized Ruze Pro, Wilier GTR, Argon 18 E117 Tri+, Brompton B75

deepakvrao

by deepakvrao

bespoke wrote:
Absolutely. Cannot get over the hate for e-bikes.

guyc

by guyc

It's snobbery, simple as that. I've no time for it.

maxice

by maxice

I could have done with this up swains this morning! was really struggling!

Robbyville

by Robbyville

deepakvrao wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 12:26 pm
bespoke wrote:
Absolutely. Cannot get over the hate for e-bikes.
Absolutely agree...

First story: When I was living in my last rural area of Virginia, running a ski hill and building a mountain bike park many of our members who were much older would watch the few road riders we were and want to get into shape and liked the idea of low impact cycling. Of course they all lived in the foothills and even my easiest 15 mile ride had 1200 feett of rolling hills. I brought in a few early model pedal assisted upright bikes to get them started and rode with quite a few who worked out beautifully. Lost some weight, got to enjoy the pleasures of riding.

Now I live in an area with an incredibly active cycling club. In peak tourist season we can easily see 120 riders on a normal Saturday ride (respectfully broken down of course). Many and I truly mean many of our regular guests and members are over 70 years old. Lots of them easily ride my sprightly 49 year old self into the ground. Heck they have nothing better to do than ride 200 miles each week! Still, we have quite a few who can no longer do the usual 50 mile group ride or the daily 25-30 mile rides at a reasonable pace. Understandably, they want to continue with their ongoing passion of cycling among the group of people that they’ve been ridin with for years young and old. It sucks for them to get dropped in 10 miles and have to turn around and do less than 20 soloing in the wind to meet the group back for some social time. The new ebikes look awesome, perform better with every new model, maintain all the aspects of cycling we all get to enjoy and still require human pedal output.

More power to those that need/want them!

kgt

by kgt

I have nothing against e-bikes. I just cannot see the point of having a 15kg e-bike with aggressive geometry, carbon frame, high profile carbon wheels and drop handlebars. It is like having a car that looks like a Ferrari but with a 100hp engine. What's the point? Just to look cool?

by Weenie

guyc

by guyc

What's wrong with wanting to look cool? An enormous part of this sport is based entirely on selling that.

If you've spent your life on race bikes and love them and the looks why do you have to buy a shopping bike because your legs aren't what they were? Where do we draw the line?

Bought a Madone/Venge but you can't average 20mph? So what? You love the bike and how it looks. Your money, your choice.

None of us are riding at WorldTour level.