Shoe Cleaning Tips?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Time to clean the Sidis - the white mesh bits just ain't so white anymore. I'm planning to remove the insoles, scrub them with a soft brush and dish soap, then a thorough rinse and air dry.

Anyone have a different tried and true approach? Something other than dish soap? Washing machine?

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

What works for me:

Magic eraser for the smooth bits
Oxiclean sprayed on for the mesh / other parts and let soak in. Some scrubbing can help here also.
Then tie up into a pillowcase (just to avoid them scraping) and put into the washing machine

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

euan

by euan

Each one goes in a tied pillow case, into the washing machine with a couple of towels. All good.

Alternatively, you can get stuff from a company that does sneaker cleaning products

https://www.sneakerser.com/collections/clean-protect

TonyM

by TonyM

Cleaning/ degrease wipes

velov

by velov

A little degreaser or magic eraser followed with dish soap works well. I cover mine with waterproofing spray afterwards, makes cleaning tyre/grease marks a lot easier.

ubers

by ubers

I find that soaking them in warm soapy water (with a drop of dishwashing liquid) for an hour or so, then scrubbing them, also helps to remove some of the grime.

uraqt

by uraqt

SIdi, has said in the past no washing machines....and while it didn't destroy my old ones broke them down.. they are still usable but they are way softer...

benzebub

by benzebub

baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide. Combine both in a bowl, container,.. until you get a thick paste and spread this paste across the shoe.
Let the shoes sit for an hour or a bit longer and scrub them with a dishwashing sponge and some hot water.

Did this on my white Lake's last week and they looked as if I just took them out of the box. Ofcourse try a small testspot first to see if the upper doesn't react bad to the mixture.
But I could be wrong

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Thanks for all the tips gents - I went with a pre-soak of OxiClean on the mesh, scrubbed and rinsed, then popped them in the washing machine. Really impressed with the results - almost good as new.

Thanks all!

euan

by euan

Forgot to say a cold wash and slowest spin or rinse and hold

froze

by froze

I wouldn't dare stick my shoes in the washing machine!

Shoes are easy to clean, Fantastik cleaner works very well (I use to use 409 but the company now waters down their product to where it's almost useless), just spray on and wipe off, rinse with very light spray of water, let dry naturally. Do not get the Fantastik with bleach because of the obvious...it can damage colors.

kgt

by kgt

Most modern washing machines have program for sport shoes which works fine for cycling shoes too.

froze

by froze

I have a high end modern machine and mine doesn't say anything about a shoe cycle. Regardless I don't put any shoe, even my tennis shoes in the washing machine, I may remove the liners and wash those in the machine but the shoe itself gets cleaned by either Fantastik or Dawn For Dishes, use a toothbrush if necessary and scrub then rinse, most of the time all I ever had to do with my cycling shoes is wipe them down with a wet cloth! While shoes like cycling shoes are designed to get wet I don't think they meant a prolonged soaking.

I have a pair of Sidi shoes so I checked the internet and they say this:

DO’S
•Clean with a damp sponge.
•Store in a cool, dry and well-ventilated place.
•Fill with newspaper to absorb any dampness and to keep the shape.
•If the shoes are not damp or wet after use, clean them with a soft brush.
•If the shoes are equipped with levers or other precision closures, clean them carefully and regularly apply a silicone-based or similar lubricant.
•Regularly check and tighten all screws on your shoes, especially the heel pads and SRS
Sole Replacement System.

DON’TS
•Do not wash in washing machine or spray clean.
•Do not use strong washing powder or abrasive brushes.
•When drying, never place near or next to heaters, fire or other heating elements (the use of detergents and rapid drying may cause excessive hardening or cracks in the materials).

So while my Specialized shoes did not come with detail washing instructions I think most cycling shoes would be the same as Sidi.

https://www.asgsport.co.za/index.php/ho ... idi-shoes/

kgt

by kgt

froze wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:07 pm

DON’TS
Unless you have a washing machine with 'sport' shoes' cycle.
I have washed different expensive cycling shoes and running shoes in my washing machine. All came out like new. No issues at all.

froze

by froze

kgt wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:15 pm
froze wrote:
Wed Dec 18, 2019 7:07 pm

DON’TS
Unless you have a washing machine with 'sport' shoes' cycle.
I have washed different expensive cycling shoes and running shoes in my washing machine. All came out like new. No issues at all.
Did the site I gave say "unless you have washing machine with 'sport' shoes' cycle? I reread to make sure and nope I don't see that written anywhere.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com