Shoe Cleaning Tips?

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Time to clean the Sidis - the white mesh bits just ain't so white anymore. I'm planning to remove the insoles, scrub them with a soft brush and dish soap, then a thorough rinse and air dry.

Anyone have a different tried and true approach? Something other than dish soap? Washing machine?

cdncyclist

by cdncyclist

What works for me:

Magic eraser for the smooth bits
Oxiclean sprayed on for the mesh / other parts and let soak in. Some scrubbing can help here also.
Then tie up into a pillowcase (just to avoid them scraping) and put into the washing machine

by Weenie

euan

by euan

Each one goes in a tied pillow case, into the washing machine with a couple of towels. All good.

Alternatively, you can get stuff from a company that does sneaker cleaning products

https://www.sneakerser.com/collections/clean-protect

TonyM

by TonyM

Cleaning/ degrease wipes

velov

by velov

A little degreaser or magic eraser followed with dish soap works well. I cover mine with waterproofing spray afterwards, makes cleaning tyre/grease marks a lot easier.

ubers

by ubers

I find that soaking them in warm soapy water (with a drop of dishwashing liquid) for an hour or so, then scrubbing them, also helps to remove some of the grime.

uraqt

by uraqt

SIdi, has said in the past no washing machines....and while it didn't destroy my old ones broke them down.. they are still usable but they are way softer...

benzebub

by benzebub

baking soda mixed with hydrogen peroxide. Combine both in a bowl, container,.. until you get a thick paste and spread this paste across the shoe.
Let the shoes sit for an hour or a bit longer and scrub them with a dishwashing sponge and some hot water.

Did this on my white Lake's last week and they looked as if I just took them out of the box. Ofcourse try a small testspot first to see if the upper doesn't react bad to the mixture.
But I could be wrong

mellowJohnny

by mellowJohnny

Thanks for all the tips gents - I went with a pre-soak of OxiClean on the mesh, scrubbed and rinsed, then popped them in the washing machine. Really impressed with the results - almost good as new.

Thanks all!

euan

by euan

Forgot to say a cold wash and slowest spin or rinse and hold

by Weenie