Allied Allroad vs Hi Mod synapse

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

njyeti

by njyeti

I'm a bit stumped on what bike to buy and am open to any feedback. I'm looking for a road training bike that can handle a bit of dirt roads thrown in and mild gravel. For the same price, I can get an Allied with ultra di2 and Reynolds carbon wheels or a hi mod synapse with dura ace di2 and their SL wheelset.

I already have a 13lb evo as my primary bike and a Superx that I use to race cross and gravel with.

I can't try the Allied, but have heard great things. I'm also attracted to the Synapse build and the great deal on it. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

Last edited by njyeti on Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:27 am, edited 1 time in total.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Allied looks nice, less common. Head angle is upright which could mean toe overlap, especially with bigger tires - not something I want if I am off-road. Synapse has fender mounts which can be a deal-maker for some.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kgt

by kgt

Isn't Allied frame made in the US? I would go for it eyes closed.

ilikegreen

by ilikegreen

The Synapse Hi Mod DA Di2 specs are impressive.

That SL Wheelset for example - DT Swiss hub internals, DT Swiss Aerolite bladed spokes, Stan No Tubes rim.

Check the rest of it - Enve, Fabric Scoop Shallow Pro Carbon... And the reviews of the frame are very favourable.

Guess if you can try one out then you can rule a line through it, or decide it's the one?

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

I don't know anything about Allied bikes, but Synapse is a great bike, especially this top spec, you can't go wrong with that...

Regarding that sort of bikes, I would also take into consideration Canyon Endurace, BMC Roadmachine, Focus Paralane, Trek Domane and Specialized Roubaix, Rose Backroad, Ridley X-Trail, Giant Defy, Wilier Cento10NDR, Simplon Pavo, Bianchi Infinito...

You can read good group test here:

https://granfondo-cycling.com/10-endura ... es-review/

sfo423

by sfo423

I rode a top spec Himod, was offered a great value but imo it was a lame ride. No road response: was not a fan.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

sfo423 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:50 am
I rode a top spec Himod, was offered a great value but imo it was a lame ride. No road response: was not a fan.
Yep, it's a magic carpet ride, the road kind of disappears under you - I think that was the intent of the designers. It you are looking to feel the road more, look elsewhere.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

njyeti

by njyeti

sfo423 wrote:
@sfo423 - was this the 2018+ model years or older? I've tried an older version and completely agree with your assessment- but have heard the redesign made it more responsive.

sfo423

by sfo423

This one

njyeti wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 11:46 am
sfo423 wrote:
@sfo423 - was this the 2018+ model years or older? I've tried an older version and completely agree with your assessment- but have heard the redesign made it more responsive.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

What does responsive mean? What data would indicate that a frame was more or less responsive? The new frame resists twisting more than the previous model when you accelerate if that is what you mean. If you are a clydesdale and looking for crit bike, it may not be the best choice - it's an endurance bike. But as an allrounder, the stiffness is more than adequate. Perhaps "responsiveness" is just like over inflated tires. People thought hard tires were fast because the ride was rough. If a bike doesn't skitter and twitch when you sprint that doesn't mean it's unresponsive. It could be that it is well damped and stays hooked up to the road better. Perhaps what you really want is data to tell you how stiff the bike is. And then how will that help you decide if you like the bike? As to responsiveness, if you want something to respond to efforts more quickly, reduce the weight - it will indeed accelerate faster. Unfortunately the Synapse weighs what the Synapse weighs, and it will accelerate no faster, nor slower than any other bike of the same weight.

I can give you some information that while still anecdotal, may be more useful than speculating on "responsiveness". I have thrashed a new synapse and I can conclude that the descending is incredibly composed. Really holds its carve even over the worst surfaces. Nothing upsets it. And comfort is of course a strong point. However my experience is only relevant to a 78kg rider on a size 56.

njyeti

by njyeti

Thanks @ND4SPD for the group test link. That article led me to try to find Roadmachine locally to test ride- but unfortunately I didn't have any luck.

@Mr.Gib - yes, that's exatly what I meant w/ accelerating. Responsiveness is admittidly a subjective term :)

I ended up buying the Di2 Synapse today as it was most different than what I curently have in my stable.

Thanks again all for your feedback!

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I think you'll like it. I was amazed at how steady the bike is. Super solid and stable. The geometry, specifically the head angle and fork design produce what is for me the perfect steering feel. So easy to carve on technical descents. Predictable and stable but also very easy to adjust radius if needed. Despite being a bit longer in the wheelbase and for the most part being an endurance bike, it still felt agile and tossable enough.

My favourite part is that I can run it with fenders as my winter bike and still fit 30 -32mm tires. :thumbup:

gwerziou

by gwerziou

njyeti wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 3:27 am
I'm a bit stumped on what bike to buy and am open to any feedback. I'm looking for a road training bike that can handle a bit of dirt roads thrown in and mild gravel.

I can't try the Allied, but have heard great things. I'm also attracted to the Synapse build and the great deal on it. Thoughts?

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk
The Allied can take 35s and the Synapse, unfortunately, cannot. Unfortunately because the geometry is really sweet.
• A hi-zoot bike, pretty sweet
• An old bike, more fun than the new one actually
• Unicycle, no brand name visible

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com