New Colnago C64 Build Input

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Select the C64 frame spec you would select

Rim brake: Direct mount
65%
Disc brake: Integrated fork and stem disc version
35%

Total votes: 43

Jitensha

by Jitensha

I am in the process of building a new C64 frame and trying to decide between the rim brake and integrated disc versions of the frame. Cast your vote in the poll above.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ducman

by ducman

Rim brake. For sure.

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Rim brake, I'd chose ceramic coated alloy rims for a climbing and descending bike.
Carbon fibre tubs for a pure climbing.

kgt

by kgt

IMHO discs on a Colnago C64 look wrong. As 80mm profile wheels also look wrong.
You have to realise what is the design concept behind this classy lugged frame and follow it. Sloping frames, integrated headsets, discs etc. are against Colnago's philosophy. Of course he was obliged to follow these trends sooner or lated for marketing reasons, he had no other choice...

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

Don't base it on look, base it on usage. If you think you'll be doing regular rides down Colls in the Alps and Pyrenees get the disc. If your rides are more sedate and good weather get the rim. Form follows function and sometimes funding.
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

ymisyd

by ymisyd

I've got the C64 disc. I wouldn't go back to rim brakes.

scb

by scb

ymisyd wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 10:49 am
I've got the C64 disc. I wouldn't go back to rim brakes.
Second this. And i still ride my c60 with rim brakes.

fromtrektocolnago

by fromtrektocolnago

I have a c-64 disc. I wanted something different than my c-59 rim. I like them both. The C-64 was an attempt to do something a little different than my c-59. I got the opportunity to go a little wider on the tires. I would never have gone carbon rim brakes so disc was further reason to experiment with a carbon wheel. in my case this will be a bike for descending and roads that aren't perfect but yet don't require my firefly's 32 mm wheels.

I don't think you can go wrong either way(rim vs disc) but focus on the rides you'll be doing. if i was merely doing local roads i probably would have gone rim, but then again, probably wouldn't have done the c-64 at all given I have the c-59
Colnago C-59 (Dura Ace)
Firefly(Ultegra)
Colnago C-64 disc(ultegra) with Bora 35 wheels

TimF

by TimF

Only advice I'd add is that you should aim for expensive carbon wheels with a proper braking track if going rim. If going disc I think you can be more flexible. So the main thing I'd be thinking about is what is your wheel budget / choice?

Obviously great advice from others too about riding mainly on the flat or mountains!

Jitensha

by Jitensha

I didnt expect the results to be this demonstartive. Thanks to those who voted.

joeyb1000

by joeyb1000

25 years ago I rode a friend’s bike with ergo levers (vs down tube levers). I had to have it, and I ordered a Groupo that same day.

I’m in Como Italy right now on a rented Dogma Disc. The brakes work well, and they don’t fade on hard descents. But, they do scrape a little at times. So, unlike the story above, I’m not rushing out to get them.

I don’t think you would feel buyers remorse, but the predictions that rim brakes will be dead in a year are overstated.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would also cast my vote on what TimF says.
I look at new wheels for my new Ax bike. To be frank, my first prio is brake track durability.
Not just sheer brake power or modulation, more so durability.
As is, Xentis claims their new brake tracks never wear out!!

You can get rub with disc brakes. But it could be fixed. However, changing wheelset may force you to use shims (either 6 bolt or centerlock).
No-one can really tell what you should buy. It has to be something you feel sure of.
Are you going to ride this bike through all weather?
Are you going out when it rains, or do you wait until it stop raining?
Disc brakes are consistent in braking modulation and stopping power no matter weather.

With that said, i'd rather use my UP with disc brakes,, if it rains or simply is crap weather.
I use my Ax when it's good weather.
Not an issue if it starts to rain while i'm out, but i wouldn't bring a rim brake bike out if it's already raining.

Not only does rim brakes offer less predictable braking if wet, you should also counterweight the dirt that is sprayed on the brake track.
All small debris and dirt contains particles that acts as sand paper. I'd rather damage a rotor than expensive wheelsets.
With that in the open, i don't say you should avoid rim brakes. Just consider a few things before you make your decision
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com