Campagnolo 11 Front Derailleur Cage Replacement

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
elSid

by elSid

The cage on my Campagnolo Super Record front deraillerur snapped. It's 11 speed, 2011-2014 era, and replacement derailleurs appear to be over $200.00 USD. The replacement cage alone is closer to ~$100.00 USD (e.g. below), but I wanted to see if anyone has attempted installing this. Other than the Campagnolo chain tool, I don't have any specialized tools, and only have experience making basic repairs. Any advice is appreciated!

https://www.modernbike.com/campagnolo-1 ... 2014-model

I can provide pics of the broken derailleur cage, although I'm pretty sure it can't be repaired.

AJS914

by AJS914

I would just replace it with a Chorus front derailleur - much stronger.

Did just the plastic end break? I repaired one a while back with a spoke, some thread and epoxy.

by Weenie

elSid

by elSid

Thanks. Chorus derailleur may be the most pactical solution.

It broke right where the screw threads. The spoke idea might work, but I've been unsuccessful so far with grocery store superglue - it just snaps when the cable pulls the cage. I'll try some heavier duty stuff from hardware store this weekend.

Calnago

by Calnago

Or... be way cool and source the alloy Chorus cage assembly only and swap it with the broken cage on your SR body. Then you have the bling of Super Record with the better stiffness and durability of the Chorus cage. That’s for sure what I’d do.
Colnago C64 - The Naked Build; Colnago C60 - PR99; Trek Koppenberg - Where Emonda and Domane Meet;
Unlinked Builds (searchable): Colnago C59 - 5 Years Later; Trek Emonda SL Campagnolo SR; Special Colnago EPQ

AJS914

by AJS914

elSid wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 4:45 am
Thanks. Chorus derailleur may be the most pactical solution.

It broke right where the screw threads. The spoke idea might work, but I've been unsuccessful so far with grocery store superglue - it just snaps when the cable pulls the cage. I'll try some heavier duty stuff from hardware store this weekend.

You would at least need some epoxy and something that ties it all together similar to what I did.

graeme_f_k
Shop Owner / Manufacturer

by graeme_f_k

It's not a difficult job to swap the cage. The only reicky part is replacing the spring but a careful use of a small pry bar or cheap flat bladed screwdriver facilitates that.

We have a tool for it at the SCs but they're not publically available, basically a small diameter, very rigid steel tube with a 90 deg bend in it, mounted to a wooden handle - that makes doing the spring very easy ...
A Tech-Reps work is never done ...
Head Tech, Campagnolo main UK ASC

elSid

by elSid

Thanks, everyone!

by Weenie