Light road Qr skewers: What's reasonable for racing purposes ?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Can you send a picture of the model ? I’m ordering wheels from them amd might add a few skewer sets in the box.

Louis :)

bilwit

by bilwit

Do they need to be QR? View-Speed S4s are around 40ish grams, are more aero, but are bolt-on (hex) which makes security not a problem (as you can torque them up to spec). Don't know what kind of races you're doing but in many cases, if you're in a situation where you have to use the QR then your race is over anyway so having a bolt-on skewer isn't much of a drawback.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LouisN

by LouisN

Qr sor sure. Bolt on out of the question.
Some races we have caravan cars following with spare wheels so wheel changes are always an option.

Louis :)

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

ReactiveE wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 8:43 am
They look good, any reviews? Are they safe?
Or any other option in this price range?
I don't know for any problems with them, but than again, you should read Kumppa's post...

Reviews - google is your friend :)

Other option (copy of Tune DC 100/130:

Planet X Ti Stick Quick Release Skewers with Carbon Levers

https://www.planetx.co.uk/i/q/WSPXTISTQ ... bon-levers

Some other choices:

http://blog.fairwheelbikes.com/reviews- ... er-review/
Kumppa wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 12:07 pm
For me these are not working. When sprinting even little bit harder (or pulling wheel with fingers sideway) rear QR will move little bit and rotate wheel. After that movement rear wheel feels loose and very unsafe. Don't know if it's the clamping system and carbon dropout combo. No affect how tight I clamp it. Haven't notice same kind of problem with old 42g Swsscomp or heavier FFWD titanium.

Little bit offtopic...

I have been looking orange colour QRs and those Tune AC 100/130 are on my list. Can anyone compare these AC to DC ones and is there how much difference on clamping force?

Instagram is marketing me JRC composites products and they have also orange QR option which I have been thinking. I know it's just same as those from ebay/Taiwan but price is almost same and they send from Ireland. Anyone tested these or have seen other metallic orange options below 60g?
https://www.jrc-components.com/products ... um-skewers
That's strange... You have this exact model, DC 100/130, or some other model? Original ones or copy?

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Why not internal cam, it's the stronger option. That's why i went for Tune AC versions instead of DC.
The weight is 25 g front and 28 g rear.
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Fri Mar 29, 2019 10:37 am, edited 1 time in total.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

dim

by dim

I Was told by a pro cyclist, that one should never 'skimp' with skewers, and was advised to either get Campagnola or Dura Ace .... I opted for the dura Ace skewers
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

rwlinda

by rwlinda

Also looking for some replacement skewers as I think the Dura Ace ones are just overweight. Tried some Fouriers a few years ago and didn't like em one bit. Rear skewer came loose causing me to crash :(.
Currently looking into the BBB Lightblock (52gr) ones. Anyone any experience with those?

ND4SPD

by ND4SPD

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Why not external cam, it's the stronger option. That's why i went for Tune AC versions instead of DC.
Internal ones have higher clamping force...

RyanH

by RyanH

I had the AC skewers, I did not like them. I found the clamping force was lacking and the handle being able to be pushed in and open the skewers was a design flaw. My KCNC Ti skewers have been great even after 6 years. I prefer the Control Tech bolt ons though for wheel security, particularly since the rod is slightly thicker OD than other skewers. I'd skip anything that's butted.

Side note, I don't think the LW skewers are steel.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Woodman! Skewers were the bike part that cured me of extreme weight weenism. The lightest ones (I forgot the brand, it's a common light one) were so stick-like that it was difficult to tell the direction of the clamping mechanism. Woodman Gator Titaniums ($60 a pair at Fairwheel Bikes, currently out of stock but you may be able to find them elsewhere) are 60G, which is pretty light although not extreme, and easy to use.

https://fairwheelbikes.com/woodman-gato ... l-skewers/
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

Lewn777

by Lewn777

I've had some Taiwanse titanium skewers but wasn't massively impressed, not terrible, but some flex and always that feeling in the back of your mind they really aren't the most secure or best. OEM skewers, good but heavy, and boutique skewers seem good in some cases but can be expensive.

I was thinking about DT Swiss titanium skewers, piece of mind with reasonable weight too.

bm0p700f
in the industry

by bm0p700f

Carbon Ti for me again but with titanium axles. Light and relaible.

Roadrocket

by Roadrocket

RyanH wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:50 am
Side note, I don't think the LW skewers are steel.
Why do you think they are not steel? I´m using FFWD skewers now, they´re not heavy at all at 85g, but I was almost decided to get those LW skewers.

FWIW, about CarbonTi X-Lock Special Skewers, I´ve found just one review on CRC: ,,clamping power not enough for rear wheel when riding in high torque such as ride on slope road. then the wheel will touch the left chainstay´´

RyanH

by RyanH

Because my Lightweight skewers were pretty much identical to all other skewers in that weight range but with Ti axles. Unless they did something magical, I don't think they're getting that weight without it being a ti axle.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

ND4SPD wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2019 3:18 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 8:16 pm
Why not external cam, it's the stronger option. That's why i went for Tune AC versions instead of DC.
Internal ones have higher clamping force...
Yes, i reversed those two. My bad!
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com