New Rim Brakes: DA9100 or Sram Axs

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

PinaRene

by PinaRene

Since 2 weeks I run DA9100 brakes on my Scott Foil with Sram eTap : Works great - even better than with the Sram Red Aerolink brakes. Modulation is fine but most of all - setup of the brakes is much better. Both sides pull evenly on Shimano brakes ond not 60/40% like the Sram setup. also both sides ( pads ) push on the same time at the rim surface, and not 40/60% like the Sram.

Been trying to get it better with the Sram brakes ( new cables - diffent lenghts ) - tried everything with the side srews to pull one arm faster with more spring tention than the other, but could not get it @ 100%. Not even on 90% to be honest.

DA 9100 setup - straight out of the box - pads touching the rim at the same time .... bang spot on in 5 minutes. Both arms pull evenly on both sides ... bang spot on in 5 minutes. Setup of the brakepads, ready to go and no looking back.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

PinaRene wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:15 am
Since 2 weeks I run DA9100 brakes on my Scott Foil with Sram eTap : Works great - even better than with the Sram Red Aerolink brakes. Modulation is fine but most of all - setup of the brakes is much better. Both sides pull evenly on Shimano brakes ond not 60/40% like the Sram setup. also both sides ( pads ) push on the same time at the rim surface, and not 40/60% like the Sram.

Been trying to get it better with the Sram brakes ( new cables - diffent lenghts ) - tried everything with the side srews to pull one arm faster with more spring tention than the other, but could not get it @ 100%. Not even on 90% to be honest.

DA 9100 setup - straight out of the box - pads touching the rim at the same time .... bang spot on in 5 minutes. Both arms pull evenly on both sides ... bang spot on in 5 minutes. Setup of the brakepads, ready to go and no looking back.
Haha this is so true.. 60/40 and the way they move around. One of the reasons i sold my etap for sr12.. and just got r8000 on my winterbike, so much better. But still love the the hoods/shape and the way you shit on etap.

I would go da9100 og ee.

the jackel

by the jackel

Can I suggest the latest FSA k force brakes. They review very well and from personal experience offer very good stopping power and modulation with SRAM shifters.

Not super light but fairly decent and can be had at a decent price on ebay

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

If weight is not an issue, I have found that with Sram levers, nothing beats Shimano Ultegra 6700. Yes sir, 6700. Absolutely devastating stopping power. On new rims, with new, well bedded pads, one must take care not to grab too hard. True easy one finger braking. And they can easily fit 30mm tires and perhaps 32mm in some cases. Fantastic combination. My secret weapon in the mountains. (Oddly, Ultegra 6800, the later model, has poor tire clearance.)
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

petosagan

by petosagan

Once the sram brake set are well installed, they are good. But yes need time

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

TheKaiser

by TheKaiser

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:24 pm
If weight is not an issue, I have found that with Sram levers, nothing beats Shimano Ultegra 6700. Yes sir, 6700. Absolutely devastating stopping power. On new rims, with new, well bedded pads, one must take care not to grab too hard. True easy one finger braking. And they can easily fit 30mm tires and perhaps 32mm in some cases. Fantastic combination. My secret weapon in the mountains. (Oddly, Ultegra 6800, the later model, has poor tire clearance.)
That is interesting about 6700 vs. 6800 clearance. Have you had the opportunity to compare either of those to 8000 clearance? I am just curious if Shimano reduced and then went back up on clearance on the current generation, or if 6700 was truly the clearance apex.

Pinguin

by Pinguin

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:24 pm
Really?
With which other brake models do you compare the 6700?

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Pinguin wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:44 am
akaspin wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 4:59 pm
SRAM and Shimano have different pull ratio. So. It's depends on your levers. Sad but true.
That means DA 9100 dont work with Red 10 Dt?
It works fine. I have DA 9100 on SRAM Force. Pull ratio is slightly different but it works perfectly OK. If it didn't EE brakes wouldn't work on both Shimano and SRAM.