Hydraulic brake line change

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Cattiy

by Cattiy

I want to change the hydraulic brake line in my road bike, because I am switching from Shimano 105 to SRAM eTap.

The bottom bracket is Pressfit GXP and relatively new, so I prefer to route the new line without removing the bottom bracket.

Are there any professional tools that let me connect the old brake line with the new brake line, so that I can pull the new brake line with the old brake line trough the frame?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Klaster_1

by Klaster_1

Look for IR-1 or Rockshox Reverb Stealth Barb Connector. You can also drain the old housing, feed a thread through it and new housing section, tie a knot and pull both sections through the frame.

Cattiy

by Cattiy

Klaster_1 wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 9:17 am
Look for IR-1 or Rockshox Reverb Stealth Barb Connector. You can also drain the old housing, feed a thread through it and new housing section, tie a knot and pull both sections through the frame.
The Rock Shox tool is what I wanted, thank you very much! Could not get easier that that.

RTSM

by RTSM

Hello Cattiy, as an option to consider, what I did was purchase the Jagwire Hydro hose and the quick adapter kit. You have to separately buy the Hydro hose hydraualic hose and the right adapter kit for the calipers. The kit you would need for the eTap HRD calipers is the Jagwire adapter kit with three rubber seals. The Jagwire bango bolt screws onto the Hydro hose end with the quick adapter on it. Go to Jagwire.com and choose the color you want then go to the small parts section to find the right adapter kit. I've been running mine for about 6 months and the kit works great.
Best of luck to you.
Attachments
20190126_160244 (002).jpg
20190317_155433.jpg

jfranci3

by jfranci3

Heads up, I've had issues putting generic/Shimano barbs in the stock SRAM lines. I think the SRAM hose/passage is a weee bit smaller. The SRAM somethingamajig work well though.... at a cost.

Stitchking

by Stitchking

+1 for the reverb trick. Use it all the time on full suspension mountain bikes for going sram to shimano.

Sent from my SM-G935F using Tapatalk

kode54

by kode54

I use the Park Tool internal cable routing kit. One of the wires has a screw in barb for housing like hydraulic. You screw in the barb to the old one, then pull the old cable out, do the reverse with the new one and you're all set.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

RTSM

by RTSM

As far as pulling cables without removing the bb or anything else, I use electrical tape to tape an unused mechanical internal cable sheath (the plastic cable that runs inside of the outer cable for mechanical brakes) and to the current hose then pull the hose out and use the cable sheath that was taped to the old hose and tape the end to the new cable and pull the sheet from the other side to pull the new hose through. Costs nothing and works well.

nycebo

by nycebo

The stealth barb connector is just the dream. Locks on tightly, is cheap and works well.

dricked

by dricked

I just taped the new cable end to end to the old cable with electrical tape. Pulled through the frame without a hitch and took no time at all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com