Opinions on the 3T Superergo LTD handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sennder

by sennder

Hi forum,

I've been contemplating replacing my Bontrager XXX VR-C handlebars with the 3T Superergo LTD handlebars. The primary reason behind this change is that the Bontrager XXX bars have a 100mm reach, which, on my 90mm stem, puts the hoods too far out for my preference. The 3T Superergo have a 77mm reach, which sounds much more comfortable. Sadly, I can't find any proper reviews of the bars online.

Recent responses on my thread about indentations on carbon bars suggest that other 3T LTD bars might be susceptible to similar indentations from the stem faceplates. Is the same true for the Superergo?

The Ergonova bars were heavily criticized for their internal cable routing. The routing on the Superergo looks better. Is it usable for a full mechanical setup? I plan on upgrading to di2 in the future using the bar-end junction so internal routing is definitely something I'm interested.

Does anyone have experience with the 3T Superergo LTD or Team?

--Sennder

moyboy

by moyboy

I've owned 3 of the 3T Superergo LTD Stealth bars and the Team edition....
Best bar I've used in a long time.

Never saw any indentations on the bar, maybe some scratches from the face plate but no indentations.
Internal cable routing is great but the holes aren't that big so make sure you have a plan on the routing steps first. They do have 4 lines to help route cables.
Mechanical you'll have to see if the bends in the bar will allow you to have smooth shifting or braking.

I used it with Di2 and am now using with Etap and hydro.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jfranci3

by jfranci3

I'd assume both the old and new bars will get indentations on the fasade layer. Keep in mind the outer layer is likely applied after the core bar is built and cured. The carbon layup looks pretty messy, so they put a final layer of carbon, carbon-like, or paint on it to look nice, which is why you get indentations.

Will the cable routing be junk? Hopefully not, but probably. They will come with clear hoses in there to assist you, but it'll still be a pain.

Any don't you go full aero bars? Ive got the aero version and the ergo version, the aero version interior is more comfortable.

Lugan

by Lugan

I have a new Team on my newest bike and really like them a lot. First, my bike is eTap hydro, so no comment on internal shift cable routing. No comment yet on any durability issues; too early for mine. I can however comment on 3 very nice bar shape subtleties that caused me to choose these bars: First, the slightly sharper than normal bend at the hood clamps enables the hoods and the part of the bar in back of the hoods to be very flat, providing a nice place to put your hands. Second, the slightly fatter piece at the bends from the flat tops to the hoods likewise offers a good place to put your hands. Third, for my large hands, the drops offer a flat section that is the right length and the right angle for me to be entirely comfortable there for long periods. Overall, I am totally happy so far.

scb

by scb

Have Superergo LTD and absolutely love them. Internal routing can be tough if you don't know what you are doing. But done propertly no issues.

sennder

by sennder

Thank you for your feedback!

I will avoid the Aeronova because the reach on those is actually a little longer than the reach on my current bars.

I'm glad to hear that the internal routing isn't too bad. Is the shifting/braking performance for mechanical groupsets any worse with the cables routed internally?

--Sennder

AnkitS

by AnkitS

Not adding to the discussion but are superergos the same as ergonovas and ernovas other than the method of measuring the width? (I know ernovas we're measured at the drops and new 3t bars are measured at hoods.)

sennder

by sennder

icantaffordcycling wrote:
Thu Mar 21, 2019 11:04 pm
Not adding to the discussion but are superergos the same as ergonovas and ernovas other than the method of measuring the width? (I know ernovas we're measured at the drops and new 3t bars are measured at hoods.)
I believe slight change in the shape (flatter top corners for one). And different internal routing entry points.

--Sennder

mortirolo

by mortirolo

I have Ergonova LTD and Superergo LTD too.
Ergonova is great, but Superergo has slightly better shape.
Internal cable routing were heavily criticized, but shifting/braking performance is great. (SR11 + Campagnolo/Gore cables)
Sizes: ergonova 44 = Superergo 42
Marco Pantani - Momenti Di Gloria
AX Vial (SR11) <- FELT FC (Record 10) <- LOOK KX (Dura-Ace) <- Specialized EPIC (Superbe Pro)

moyboy

by moyboy

I love the corners on the handlebar!

mrlobber

by mrlobber

sennder wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 6:50 am
I've been contemplating replacing my Bontrager XXX VR-C handlebars with the 3T Superergo LTD handlebars. The primary reason behind this change is that the Bontrager XXX bars have a 100mm reach, which, on my 90mm stem, puts the hoods too far out for my preference. The 3T Superergo have a 77mm reach, which sounds much more comfortable.
Be careful, because, as FWB noted in their bar review, each manufacturer measures reach differently, so in real life you might realise these two might in fact be closer in reach than you think. 3T have a diagram on their web how they measure it while Trek don't.
Minimum bike categories required in the stable:
Aero bike | GC bike | GC rim bike | Climbing bike | Climbing rim bike | Classics bike | Gravel bike | TT bike | Indoors bike

Imaking20

by Imaking20

Good point. All the literature for Bontrager XXX bars says 100mm reach but my XXX integrated were like 80mm when they showed up.

sennder

by sennder

mrlobber wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 10:20 pm
Be careful, because, as FWB noted in their bar review, each manufacturer measures reach differently, so in real life you might realise these two might in fact be closer in reach than you think. 3T have a diagram on their web how they measure it while Trek don't.
Thanks for pointing that out. I did think about that. I measured my XXX bars and they do come out to ~100mm reach from center of tops to center of the farthest end of the drops (equivalent to the 77mm measurement for the Superergo). It's hard to be sure about that with the bar tape on, but the reach is definitely not less than 90mm

--Sennder

petosagan

by petosagan

I love mine.. really.

Envoyé de mon SM-A530W en utilisant Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sennder

by sennder

mortirolo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 6:11 pm
I have Ergonova LTD and Superergo LTD too.
Ergonova is great, but Superergo has slightly better shape.
Internal cable routing were heavily criticized, but shifting/braking performance is great. (SR11 + Campagnolo/Gore cables)
Sizes: ergonova 44 = Superergo 42
Glad to hear that shifting/braking works great! That and build quality were the only things I was concerned about.
moyboy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2019 7:37 pm
I love the corners on the handlebar!
The corners is a big reason I'm interested in the Superergo. I ride the corners all the time.

Thank you for your feedback, everyone. I'm going to go ahead and place an order.

--Sennder