Opinions on the 3T Superergo LTD handlebars

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

pnk

by pnk

machadok1 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:42 am
1) Has anyone installed the cables internally and do you know if it is possible to keep the Dura Ace 9000 mechanical transmission and rim brakes in decent operation with these bars? Installing cables externally, how does it look? This handlebar has no grooves, right?
I can confirm that it works perfectly with Sram Red 11-speed mechanical shifting and (rim)breaking, changed from an Easton E100 (42cm) to the 3T Superergo LTD (38cm), best upgrade performed in a while :)
machadok1 wrote:
Tue Jun 02, 2020 11:42 am
2) Also to confirm, Ergosum 44 cm have 44 cm in hoods and 44 cm in drops. On the other hand, Superergo 42 cm have 42 cm in hoods and 44 cm in drops, correct?
For your second point I'm with mortirolo! Installt it internal thats what the bar is for, I also think the routing port entries on the STI side are "optimized" for Shimano cabel routing, so even more easy for you.

Overall after pre-routing the cabel outers (bar comes with liners) the installation and setup is as with any other bar. The complete cable installation procedure is s.th. like: install inner (in pre installed liners), remove liner, install outer, remove inner, cut outer to size, install inner.

Just be aware it can be a bit of a hassel if you pull your already installed inner cables to far inside the rooting channel, however a spoke/ pice of wire can solve this isssue.
Last edited by pnk on Sun Jul 05, 2020 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.

machadok1

by machadok1

Hello,

Much thanks by your inputs mortirolo and pnk. :)
Good performance with mech/rim are very good news.
I'm now in doubt between 3T Superergo and Ritchey Superlogic evocurve. The main advantages that I considered for Ritchey were an easier installation and probably better gear/brake performance and also good external cable integration.
Despite that, I prefer the shape of 3T, the less drop and a better match with my current 3T ARX LTD stem.
In summary, I'm more inclined towards 3T Superergo. :D

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

LeMomo wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:41 pm
My 42cm LTDs weighed in at 185g with the liners still in. Really nice bars, I’ve only taped the tops as far as the corners, as a long time MTBer and early adopter of wide bars, riding on the tops feels strange to me, but the corner grips work really well.

3546087A-462F-4581-88F5-AD654BB7FDCF.jpeg
Hi LeMomo, I notice from your pic that you are running the bar end junction box for Di2 (albeit I will need to fit the bar end on the right drop, not the left drop like you) - it's really hard to get a definitive answer on whether these bars are actually compatible for Di2 in practice, as there are so many horror stories about not being able to route the cable to the bar end junction box, but clearly this is possible as your pic evidences. Are there any installation tips that you can give please? Everything about this bar seems perfect for what I am looking for, however I am intimidated by the prospect of not being able to fit the Di2 cables properly

Thanks,
Mike

Richlan

by Richlan

mikebuf73 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:04 am
LeMomo wrote:
Sat Mar 23, 2019 7:41 pm
My 42cm LTDs weighed in at 185g with the liners still in. Really nice bars, I’ve only taped the tops as far as the corners, as a long time MTBer and early adopter of wide bars, riding on the tops feels strange to me, but the corner grips work really well.

3546087A-462F-4581-88F5-AD654BB7FDCF.jpeg
Hi LeMomo, I notice from your pic that you are running the bar end junction box for Di2 (albeit I will need to fit the bar end on the right drop, not the left drop like you) - it's really hard to get a definitive answer on whether these bars are actually compatible for Di2 in practice, as there are so many horror stories about not being able to route the cable to the bar end junction box, but clearly this is possible as your pic evidences. Are there any installation tips that you can give please? Everything about this bar seems perfect for what I am looking for, however I am intimidated by the prospect of not being able to fit the Di2 cables properly

Thanks,
Mike
If you do go for them then be careful fitting these bars, see my post further down the main page.

LeMomo

by LeMomo

mikebuf73 wrote:
Fri Jun 19, 2020 11:04 am

Thanks,
Mike
Hi Mike, I'll be honest, it wasn't the easiest job to do, all in all I'd say it took me at least an hour to feed the draw cable through (I used a standard Shimano gear inner cable with a blob of solder on the end to stop it fraying.) I did have to put it down and walk away a couple of times!

I did end up dropping the bike into my lbs to switch the y-splitter around for me, I'd routed it out the right hand exit and wanted it out the left so I could tape the Di2 cable to the rear brake cable.

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

@LeMomo and @Richlan - thanks both for the answers. I think, all things considered, I am going to give up on the carbon bar option with separate stem, which is a bummer as it was my preferred option and the superergo's were the bars I was wanting to get. Before I completely abandon the carbon bar dream, I am going to investigate the integrated stem/bar carbon options for good looking, decently light and Di2 friendly options. Failing that, it will have to be an alloy Di2 friendly option.

ms82

by ms82

Would you consider these bars for a bike that you take with you on your vacations (traveling in a bike bag, airplanes)? Or would you prefer aluminium bars instead? I am not that worried about weight, it would be for my second bike, more about durability. On my best bike I have Superergo Team and they are great (mostly because I finally tried narrower bars!). Because of width I need to change the other handlebars too and looking into options.

I don't have that much time on my Superergo but I might consider something that has shorter reach to hoods compared to drops, tops and corners. Any recommendation?

ds240

by ds240

I put Superergo Ltd Stealth on one of the bikes.

I really like them. Comfort with hands in the corners are nice.

First set of bars got sent back though as could not feed di2 cables to bar end junction box. It was completely blocked, not even just difficult.

The replacement had no issue, worked perfectly fitting di2. The exits near the stem also allowed very neat cabling.

I’ll chuck some pictures on later.

jadedaid

by jadedaid

I had a pair of these as well, they were nice enough but internal routing was a bit of a pain. No issue with indentations or otherwise. I mostly got them because I wanted to try the shape of the drops, and the 77mm reach was something that made them fit my fit numbers better thab most.

I found I prefer rounder drops in the end, and ultimately went with a Zipp bar instead.

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

ds240 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 12:19 pm
I put Superergo Ltd Stealth on one of the bikes.

I really like them. Comfort with hands in the corners are nice.

First set of bars got sent back though as could not feed di2 cables to bar end junction box. It was completely blocked, not even just difficult.

The replacement had no issue, worked perfectly fitting di2. The exits near the stem also allowed very neat cabling.

I’ll chuck some pictures on later.
ds240 - was there any explanation offered as to why the internal routing of the bar was blocked solid? was it a case of a different model / year / version or just some oddity of production? this is one of the issues that seems imponderable for various bars, including this one, which is trying to get a definitive on whether they support thr bar end with internal routing or not. it should be a straight forward and binary answer.

re the pics, it would be great to see the underside of the bars - keen to understand if it is just the 2 holes near the stem or are there other holes for cable routing in various places?

many thanks
Mike

ds240

by ds240

The Ltd Stealth is 100% meant to be di2 compatible including the bar end junction box.

Though confirming which versions of the bar were compatible was a bit of a pain. Found that with a few bike things, even on company sites, their info is not clear or very good.

I bought the bar through a large reputable bike / parts supplier, so confident it wasn’t a fake.

No explanation was given, I simply got a replacement.

The original, if you blew down the bar end, no air passed what so ever. So not even a difficult route for cables, it was totally blocked.

Manufacturing fault maybe, but I don’t know for sure the reason why.

The replacement was night and day different. Totally clear and easy to pass di2 cables.

I’ll get some pics on tommorow.

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

cheers mate. it beggars belief to think there can be such variance in manufacturing / QC

sennder

by sennder

ds240 wrote:
Wed Jun 24, 2020 10:18 pm
The original, if you blew down the bar end, no air passed what so ever. So not even a difficult route for cables, it was totally blocked.
Thanks to you, I just put my mouth to one end of my 1 year old Superergo LTD bars to check if there was a passage for air. It seems I might be in the clear!

I have the bars setup with R8000 mechanical/rim currently but I want to upgrade to di2 (either R8050 or the upcoming 12 speed Ultegra) down the line.

Cheers!

--sennder

ds240

by ds240

Some pics
Attachments
1F615EB2-7CA5-4C45-B865-B2752046DBF1.jpeg
984CE6BF-2E0B-4E88-9ACE-F535F6A36A13.jpeg
D88213BB-C553-445E-8926-2F23AE36EAE4.jpeg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikebuf73

by mikebuf73

thanks

are there any holes in the bar other than the ones you have pictured near the stem? if not, I understand that would mean having to route the cable from the bar end all the way around the drops and up to the holes in picture right - was that a breeze? finally, why have you kept the wireless unit outside of the bars? my plan is to certainly have this inside the bars, just in line and 'upstream' from the bar end junction, was there not enough room for you to do that, or was it your preference to have the wireless unit outside of the bars for some other reason?

thanks
Mike