Shimano Wireless Di2 And Carbon Cranks...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ritxis

by Ritxis

tabl10s wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:42 pm
RussellS wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 12:20 am
I, like the facts, don't see the benefits of wireless Di2 and carbon cranks. Wireless derailleurs and shifters means four separate batteries that do not last as long as the one big battery Di2 uses. More frequent, less convenient charging. Probably the same weight too. Now days both batteries and/or wires are both hidden in the frame or seatpost so appearance is probably better with Di2 than wireless SRAM. Since SRAM has to attach huge ugly batteries to the derailleurs. Where is the benefit, improvement of wireless? As for carbon cranks, I suspect Shimano looked at the carbon cranks and decided they don't offer any improvement over their aluminum cranks. Maybe a little weight savings but not much. And more cost for carbon than aluminum. So where is the advantage, improvement? All cranks work equally well. So performance is nothing. Its kind of like aluminum, titanium, carbon stems. Same functionality. Very little weight savings with titanium and carbon stems. Huge cost increase. No benefit going with titanium or carbon stem over aluminum stem. Just because you can do something does not mean you should do it.

I'm going to add appearance too. A carbon crank does not fit with aluminum everything else. With Campagnolo, when they went with carbon crank, their rear derailleur and front derailleur and Ergo levers were black carbon too. With Shimano, everything is aluminum now on Dura Ace. I think that is correct. (Just looked up 9100 group and it appears Shimano is making Dura Ace black now. So a black DA carbon crank would fit aesthetically.) And everything is dark gray in color. Going with a black carbon crank would look very out of place on a Dura Ace bike. Dark gray aluminum colored Dura Ace does not equal black carbon crankset. With SRAM I think everything is black now so a carbon crank fits the color scheme easily.
The exhibitor said there was a carbon version in the past.
FC-7800C viewtopic.php?t=34227

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RussellS

by RussellS

Ritxis wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 pm
tabl10s wrote:
And in that thread they said it was an aluminum core. So it was basically an aluminum crankset with carbon wrapping. About the same as saying you have a GOLD bike if you take a steel frame and goldplate it. You still have a steel bike even if it is goldplated. Just like this is an ALUMINUM Shimano crank with carbon coating. Its an aluminum crank.

Ritxis

by Ritxis

RussellS wrote:
Wed Mar 20, 2019 3:42 am
Ritxis wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 9:50 pm
tabl10s wrote:
And in that thread they said it was an aluminum core. So it was basically an aluminum crankset with carbon wrapping. About the same as saying you have a GOLD bike if you take a steel frame and goldplate it. You still have a steel bike even if it is goldplated. Just like this is an ALUMINUM Shimano crank with carbon coating. Its an aluminum crank.
Not exactly full aluminium carbon coated.......aluminum Inserts in pedals and chainrins spider