Campy compact crankset question

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ylwgto

by ylwgto

I am looking for advice on crankset options for a bike I am taking to the Apls in July this year. I'm a larger rider (195lb) and won't pretend I'm strong enough to push the gears I currently have on my bike (53/39, 177.5mm cranks and 12-25 cassette) on these climbs.

I'm running pre-2015 Campy SR11. I'll be changing the cassette to 12-29. Changing the crankset has been a bit more complicated as standard crank ring BCD (135mm) is different than compact BCD (110 with 112mm weird bolt). So a ring swap is not possible. Other Campy compact (50/34) cranksets are $$$ in the new or used market. I'm looking into the Potenza group crankset (50/34, 175mm) as an option, but am not in love with the 4 arm look and prefer the Ultra Torque design (plus they are a bit hefty).

Any other suggestions?

Will the Campy 10 speed era cranks work with an 11s drivetrain or are the rings spaced differently?
Other brands that work well with Campy 11?
BTW, my FD is a chorus standard + compact compatible unit.

Thanks!!!

kervelo

by kervelo

ylwgto wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 6:52 pm
Will the Campy 10 speed era cranks work with an 11s drivetrain or are the rings spaced differently?
The Campagnolo 10sp cranks work fine with 11sp drivetrain. I used similar configuration with my 11sp Chorus for years without any issues.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nejmann

by Nejmann

Is it a just for riding in the alps with friends or an event linke Gran Fondo La Marmotte?

I’m 215 lbs and did the La Marmotte - 165 km going over Glandon, telegraphe, Galibier and alp d huez in one day and that was one 50/34 and 11-28. So if it’s just ridning in the alps with friends 53/39 - 11-29 is duable.

Miller

by Miller

Current Potenza chainsets are ultratorque. They might not be the lightest but they're well made.

AJS914

by AJS914

Just make sure to not buy the older and cheaper Power Torque model.

Here's one for $150. Seems inexpensive enough to me for a Campy crankset.

https://www.ebay.com/itm/New-Campagnolo ... 2884936167

c60rider

by c60rider

If you don't like the 4 arm design of potenza what about sourcing an Athena 5 arm version. They did them in Carbon and black alloy if you want it to match the black of SR. The only negative is it's power torque so you need a bearing puller to get it off.

Miller

by Miller

The older and cheaper Potenza chainset was PT2 with built-in crank extractor.

The Athena carbon chainset was first gen PT that people moaned about however it was surprisingly light. Difficult to find now I should think.

robertbb

by robertbb

Have a look at planet cyclery online. They have all different Campy cranksets, current and NOS, and you might find what you are looking for.

Just in January I found an 5-arm Athena carbon Ultra Torque crank with the larger BCD (for standard chainrings), in 172.5mm. Bought it specifically for a 1x project I'm putting together with a NW chainring that will fit on that BCD.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

this auction will probably go WAY too high
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Rec ... Sw9P1ciVe3

i've scored some AMAZING deals, just keeping a very close watch on this link for "bin" auctions
https://www.ebay.com/b/Cranksets/109118 ... _PrefLoc=3

they pop up every once in a while. don't overlook centaur/veloce, or square taper

Catagory6

by Catagory6

double post

Miller

by Miller

Catagory6 wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 2:43 am
this auction will probably go WAY too high
https://www.ebay.com/itm/Campagnolo-Rec ... Sw9P1ciVe3
Wow, a Record CT square taper carbon chainset - that is class. That was released not long after Shimano had gone to two-part chainsets and were pushing these as being 'stiffer'. The idea of crank stiffness was something that had never occurred to me, in those long-gone innocent days, but then I got a s/h copy of a Record CT carbon chainset, and it did feel stiffer than anything I'd used before. Which was a surprise. Lovely chainset. But I sold it and went to UT only a year or two later. The Campag square taper carbon chainsets were only briefly in their catalogue, they introduced UT across the range very quickly.

I know nobody uses three-part chainsets any more but the Campag square taper chainsets with the hollow-axle 102mm cartridge BBs were nicely engineered and easy to work with.

kytyree

by kytyree

They were beauties too...

AJS914

by AJS914

Those bottom brackets were also smooth, well sealed, and lasted for years and years without service.

kervelo

by kervelo

Wiggle currently has the Campagnolo Record 11sp crankset with 52/36 for 250 GBP. Unfortunately the price seems to be valid for UK customers only.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Roel W

by Roel W

So this is Power Torque +:
https://hollandbikeshop.com/campagnolo/ ... alu-zwart/
Recommended or not? I want to get rid of my Athena Power Torque 2014 chainset as the rings are worn out and I don't want to buy the expensive tools (Canyon Service Center agreed to remove the chainset). Doing my own maintenance without expensive tools is important for me.

Or should I buy this Potenza 2018 Ultra Torque?
https://www.mantel.com/be/campagnolo-po ... Ijc3RhcnQ1

Are the Centaur 11-speed chainsets recommended?

I'm in doubt about 172,5mm or 175mm too. My older Canyon bikes have 172,5, the latest Canyon bikes have 175mm (all bikes are size L, compact 50/34 chainset).