Recomend some suggestions for a new pair of Road Shoes

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

BagelMaster

by BagelMaster

I got a new pair of Giro Empire ACC's for $95 last week. Even without a discount they're <£230. Stiff, light, no hotspots for me because of the laces. As long as you're OK with faffing about with laces.

asiantrick

by asiantrick

1. Shimano S-Phyre RC9
2. Lake CX301
Last edited by asiantrick on Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I don't know. I have tried several before pulling the trigger, and when I put my foot in a Gaerne Stilo I had a Cinderella moment. The shoe felt like a regular and comfortable walking shoe would, so I knew they would be great for me. I would recommend them, but they tend to be a bit narrower than the other options suggested above. That's what I meant. What you describe applies, too (in particular when it comes to saddles, I may add),

sychen

by sychen

Different sidi for different people.. IF your feet is happy in them.

Shots have dials on top.. Some people hate that due to pressure on the top of the foot. Personally had no issues with that at all.

The wire 2 carbons have front one on top and the upper on the side with the soft strap as traditional.

Ergos have them all on the side... But lower end sole.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

uraqt

by uraqt

I'm a broken record when it comes with threads like this about shoes...

spend the extra $$ and get the sidi that fit your foot... If you take care of them they will be the last shoes you buy.

PERIOD

I have sidi that are about 20 years old...and I just bough last years wire air on sale as a back up... I stopped buying thing that have velcro in 1999 : )

robertbb

by robertbb

If you have a "cindarella" moment with shoes, the price is killer and the you like the look then buy a bunch of pairs. Your foot aint growing, shoes do wear over time, and presumably it'll cover you for the rest of your life.

Might seem like a waste of $$$$, but there's nothing worse than that shoe (or perfect piece of kit) being discontinued and then you waste that $$$ (or more) trying to find something else that works.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

+ 1 on that notion.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

PokojniToza

by PokojniToza

I've done it before, but not with EUR 350 shoes.

dim

by dim

Thanks Guys .... I have decided to buy 2 pairs of shoes

the shoes that I'm planning to buy tommorow morning will be the Sidi Wire 2:

These will be used daily for my commutes and some training rides. I am having a bike fit on Thursday and the cleats will be set properly. In 2 months time, I will buy another pair of lighter shoes for my quality weekend rides and some long Audax rides (I'm leaning towards the S-Works Exos)

now, I need help sizing these. (I am buying online and there are no Sidi stockists in my area, so I have not managed to fit them)

my foot size is 265mm long and 108mm wide (at the widest point). Sidi says that one must go up a size. Can you guys advise on what size shoe I need to get?
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kgt

by kgt

Great choice. IME you should add 5mm to your 265mm (so its 270mm total) and then you have the correct SIDI size. According to the chart this is size 44.
BTW why not use them for long Audax rides? IMHO exos will be cool for a weekend climb but certainly not for a long Audax. You need something really comfortable for this.

dim

by dim

kgt wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:02 pm
Great choice. IME you should add 5mm to your 265mm (so its 270mm total) and then you have the correct SIDI size. According to the chart this is size 44.
BTW why not use them for long Audax rides? IMHO exos will be cool for a weekend climb but certainly not for a long Audax. You need something really comfortable for this.
thanks for that! :thumbup:

these are fairly heavy (compared to some of the others such as the S-Works Exos), but look robust and may be great for my daily commutes (40+km/day)

I have a climbing bike and am trying to keep things lightweight ... I've been following the thread about the Exos shoes and was shocked when I saw the photo showing how much more the Sidi Shot weigh:

for long summer Audax rides, with lots of hills, the Exos could be a better set of shoes that the Sidi Wire 2.... I'm old now and need all the help I can get :P
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

kgt

by kgt

For a long Audax ride you need comfort. You need to feel good after 150 or 250kms. The lightest bike, the lightest clothes, the lightest shoes etc. may not be ideal in this case. Just my 2 cents.

dim

by dim

kgt wrote:
Thu Apr 11, 2019 9:14 pm
For a long Audax ride you need comfort. You need to feel good after 150 or 250kms. The lightest bike, the lightest clothes, the lightest shoes etc. may not be ideal in this case. Just my 2 cents.
I know what you are saying, and I've had many bikes including older good steel bikes such as Peugeot PX10, Koga Miyata, etc and I even owned a Surly Long Haul Trucker. Most of my friends who ride Audax have heavier bikes with 28-32mm tyres, dynamo lighting, full mudguards etc.

I find that I'm comfortable (and much faster) riding a lightweight bike, that has a saddle that is very comfortable, fits correct, and has decent wheels and tyres .... My previous bike was a Giant TCR and I was comfortable for long distances

if you look at Audax rides now, many are switching from the heavier bikes to modern lighter bikes such as the Giant Defy, Trek Domane, etc. I recently rode an Audax ride where a guy who rode with me for half the way had a Giant Propel with 50mm wide carbon wheels

when it comes to clothes, I don't skimp .... if it's cold, I will wear layers and use the proper gloves.
Trek Emonda SL6
Miyata One Thousand

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

265/108 that is pretty wide foot for the length. Regular fit sidi might not work but hey, everybody tolerates this differently. See if you can find and try a shimano in 43 wide too.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

dereksmalls

by dereksmalls

I’m loving my new Velokicks made by resident Tinea Pedis

Stiff, comfy, unique
. ImageImage

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk