S-Works Tarmac Disc 2019, SRAM vs Shimano Version

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

S-Works Tarmac Disc, with ...

SRAM eTap AXS
33%
Dura Ace Di2
67%

Total votes: 70

Lewn777

by Lewn777

Degassing DOT fluid is unneccessary with larger volume brake systems like those found on cars and motorcycles because simply they are larger systems and therefore far less senstive to trapped air and moisture, and in those applications DOT fluid works better because of high heat properties. DOT fluid absorbs things like air and moisture and more readily so the system can become contaminated more quickly so air bubbles are more likely to form and stay in the system which is more accute with such a small amount of fluid like a bicycle disk brake system.

In my opinion mineral is better for cycle applications, as bicycles don't need DOT fluids that are bad for the environment and have a very short shelf life once opened. Disregarding the fluid in the system I have found Shimano to be a better manufacturer of brakes than SRAM, even though SRAM have caught up massively in recent years. For me this is a massive issue as I want Shimano brakes and SRAM shifting, but with integrated disk brake shifters this is impossible, another reason why I stay with rim brakes.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Zzz. You really should try it. Open a bottle of SRAM/Avid DOT 5.1, use half of it. Close the bottle and let it rest for 2 years. After 2 years, completely flush your existing brake fluid and then bleed the brakes with the DOT that's been sitting on the shelf. I bet you won't be able to feel a difference because very little water has actually diffused into the fluid.

The main reason SRAM recommends degassing is because they can.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ryanw
in the industry

by ryanw

Just to harp in.

SRAM brakes with bleeding edge technology are and absolute brezze to bleed.

I have Code RSC's on my Ripmo and actaully enjoy bleeding them! Shimano need to learn a thing or two in this department.

But for the OP: I'm in the same predicament with Di2 (9150 previously owned and loved) vs AXS.

I'm going Di2 since I know it works and AXS just doesn't float my boat. I also use the 'hidden buttons' on the Di2 shifters a lot to control my Garmin.

Now if only Shimano can make a proper sprint shifter for the 9170 hoods.........
SL8 S-Works Project Black - 6.29kg
IG: RhinosWorkshop

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

I would pick the AXS bike
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ODC

by ODC

Pick the bike you like most?

jlok

by jlok

SRAM. It's 12-speed and the brake modulation is better than Shimano. Oh and I agree to that the bleeding process of SRAM brakes is better, esp with the Bleeding Edge.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

Dan Gerous

by Dan Gerous

I'd go SRAM personally. I have a bike with eTAP and one with Di2 and I much prefer eTAP's two button shift logic, very intuitive compared to Di2's dead feeling little buttons, even more so when wearing full fingered gloves in colder weather.

My only road bike with discs has Shimano, they work well and feel okay with the softer pads but, too much rub after hard sharp braking, I find it very annoying. SRAM discs I have tried were more silent and consistent.

I like the gear range of eTAP's AXS too.

Plus, 9170 will be outdated sooner! :mrgreen:

And, most importantly, I've had enough of boring all black bikes! :thumbup:

packetloss

by packetloss

Having to replace the power meter when you need to replace the chainring is insane.

dricked

by dricked

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2019 5:19 am
Zzz. You really should try it. Open a bottle of SRAM/Avid DOT 5.1, use half of it. Close the bottle and let it rest for 2 years. After 2 years, completely flush your existing brake fluid and then bleed the brakes with the DOT that's been sitting on the shelf. I bet you won't be able to feel a difference because very little water has actually diffused into the fluid.

The main reason SRAM recommends degassing is because they can.
This would depend on where/how you ride. If I try and use 5.1 dot brake fluid that’s been open 3-4 months in my race bike (motorcycle) I quickly get brake fade and lots of it. I could see descending down multiple long steep grades that you’d end up with the same result.

akaspin

by akaspin

Be a man! Buy frame and make build with Campy 12sp EPS.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

I really love the white colorway, but etap is a deal breaker for me. They need to figure out chain drops first before I consider it.

My money I'm going with the superlight rim brake, your money I'm doing the Overexposed Sagan bike.