Emonda ALR Frame set weight Black vs Purple flip?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jfranci3

by jfranci3

polishing it is your answer. Probably $75 to have the paint commercially removed (media blasted or chem - they will leave slightly different finishes). You can download the trek logo from the web or make a template from the existing. Reapply the logo with a rattlecan or hobby model paint (or have an autobody shop do it with whatever they're spraying that day). Have an auto shop ($100- check the oven temps)
or auto wheel repair guy clear spray it (note you can't clear mirror polished) and wet sand it yourself.
https://www.instagram.com/p/Bu_yr0ADFc6 ... wwfo7s8k3z
viewtopic.php?t=151527
viewtopic.php?t=137841&start=90#p1293719

I’d rock the purple fork.
Last edited by jfranci3 on Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Slack

by Slack

raisinberry777 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:06 am
RichTheRoadie wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 am
I believe they both run alu steerer forks - if you really want to cut the weight of either of them over anything more than just paint (which is likely to be negligible and/or vary by frame), swap the fork out for a full carbon one from the higher end Emonda.
The full bikes come with alloy steerers, but the framesets (only available select markets - sadly not Australia or the UK) come with a full carbon steerer.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... t/p/23613/

I'd love to do a purple build from a frameset, but it's a bummer in Australia that even if I stripped the full bike I'd only get the alloy steerer version.
The Emonda ALR frameset is available in both Black and Purple, in both disc and rim in the UK.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

raisinberry777

by raisinberry777

Slack wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:17 pm
raisinberry777 wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 4:06 am
RichTheRoadie wrote:
Sun Mar 17, 2019 3:50 am
I believe they both run alu steerer forks - if you really want to cut the weight of either of them over anything more than just paint (which is likely to be negligible and/or vary by frame), swap the fork out for a full carbon one from the higher end Emonda.
The full bikes come with alloy steerers, but the framesets (only available select markets - sadly not Australia or the UK) come with a full carbon steerer.

https://www.trekbikes.com/us/en_US/bike ... t/p/23613/

I'd love to do a purple build from a frameset, but it's a bummer in Australia that even if I stripped the full bike I'd only get the alloy steerer version.
The Emonda ALR frameset is available in both Black and Purple, in both disc and rim in the UK.
Apologies - I thought I remembered reading the UK as well but it must just be Australia that doesn't get them.

cDaero

by cDaero

jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:04 pm
polishing it is your answer. Probably $75 to have the paint commercially removed (media blasted or chem - they will leave slightly different finishes). You can download the trek logo from the web or make a template from the existing. Reapply the logo with a rattlecan or hobby model paint (or have an autobody shop do it with whatever they're spraying that day). Have an auto shop ($100- check the oven temps)
or auto wheel repair guy clear spray it (note you can't clear mirror polished) and wet sand it yourself.
viewtopic.php?t=151527

I think you've nailed it here.

Tentative plan is to grab the Purple Flip frame and strip it down. Painter is asking me matte vs gloss clear and suggests matte is a bit thinner/better looking. A forum user reached out and said he lost 280g on a flip flop blue/purple allez sprint he stripped. Chemical strip seems to be the consensus so that's the route im taking. Thanks for the inspiration!

robertbb

by robertbb

cDaero wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2019 10:38 am
jfranci3 wrote:
Mon Mar 18, 2019 3:04 pm
viewtopic.php?t=151527

I think you've nailed it here.

Tentative plan is to grab the Purple Flip frame and strip it down. Painter is asking me matte vs gloss clear and suggests matte is a bit thinner/better looking. A forum user reached out and said he lost 280g on a flip flop blue/purple allez sprint he stripped. Chemical strip seems to be the consensus so that's the route im taking. Thanks for the inspiration!
Did you end up going through with this? Losing 280 grams from a strip seems massive!

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

8 months and no follow-up to this post. C'mon man, let's see some results!

nickf

by nickf

:noidea: