Help - Focus Cayo Rear Brake Housing question

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
octave

by octave

hi everyone,

so i am building up a 2016 Focus Cayo rim brake bike and i have a question about the rear brake cable routing. i bought the frameset from the closeout that piermont bike is doing, and the frame stops that came with it for the rear brake cable are shown in the photos below.

so- do you just route full length housing through the frame with this "clips" securing the housing at the entry and exit points? or is there something i am missing?

thanks!

o

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

Just built up a Focus Paralane with the same frame stops. Yes you run full length housing. As you can see in your last pic the frame stop will expand with the brake housing running thru it and the stop will no longer fit in the frame. After much searching without an answer I took a drill bit and removed the small ridges of plastic inside the frame stops. This will allow you to install the housing without the frame stop expanding. Now the stop will fit into the frame.

octave

by octave

soonerrebel wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:03 am
Just built up a Focus Paralane with the same frame stops. Yes you run full length housing. As you can see in your last pic the frame stop will expand with the brake housing running thru it and the stop will no longer fit in the frame. After much searching without an answer I took a drill bit and removed the small ridges of plastic inside the frame stops. This will allow you to install the housing without the frame stop expanding. Now the stop will fit into the frame.
hi soonerrebel,

thanks for the response. drilling out those little ridges on the inside would indeed work, it seems. my worry is that i won't be able to remove the cable stops once they are both "clicked" into place in the frame... if the housing is secured at both ends of the top tube, will it be possible to get enough play in the set-up to wiggle the cable stops free?

also, i sent the same question to focus with the same images as in this thread and this is the response:

"thanks for the images!
That´s only a housing to hold and guide the wire through the cable entrace into the frame. Normally we use there a grommet and this will fix the cable into the grommet."

i am not sure if the focus tech misunderstood something, or if i am misunderstanding the message, but, well, it seems that i need a different grommet? he seems to be telling me what cable housing is... though he then talks of a grommet that would seem to be something other than the little pieces we are talking about, one of which is in the photos i sent...

anyway... i am waiting to hear back.

let me know if there is a way to wiggle those frame stops out, soonerrebel, as i might just go that route.

thanks!

o

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

Hello octave,

I'm also a little confused by the responce from Focus.

Once I removed the little ridges of plastic inside the frame stops I placed them inside the frame. They are a snug fit, which you want, but I was still able to remove them during the build. I installed the cable thru the stops without any difficulty and they held in place. The cable can be moved thru the stops but they are also snug enought to not allow the cable to rattle. If you find some softer rubber grommets I'm sure that would work also.
2019-03-13 21.01.16.jpg

Catagory6

by Catagory6

that's all that i used when building my Mares CX
no grommets, or anything on the caliper-end of the housing.

and you probably already know that the rear brake housing goes OVER the bottom bracket shell
not through, into the spindle area, or underneath, through the derailleur cable-guide compartment underneath the BB shell

that really had me stumped for quite a while

octave

by octave

ah ha, sorry everyone-- mine is a rim brake bike, not disc. though, it would seem that one could use those little clips for both hydraulic hoses and standard housing.

catagory6 did you modify those little clips in any way like soonerrebel did?

soonerrebel

by soonerrebel

The clips also work on wired brake housing.

If you get or find an "official" solution let me know. Without removing those plastic ridges I can't see how it would work.

Catagory6

by Catagory6

octave wrote: ↑
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:07 pm
ah ha, sorry everyone-- mine is a rim brake bike, not disc. though, it would seem that one could use those little clips for both hydraulic hoses and standard housing.

catagory6 did you modify those little clips in any way like soonerrebel did?

nope, i used them on compressionless cable housing, for mechanical calipers

RTSM

by RTSM

Check the bike shop you purchased your Cayo from or stop by your local bike shop reparir team and ask them if they have one that they can give you, then tip them :-)
I had a 2015 Focus Cayo Evo and loved it, it's a great bike for the money, I have a pic in the welcome/introduce section.
Enjoy your new Cayo!

octave

by octave

unfortunately i got the cayo frame off ebay-- so no luck with support there. but i will play with it a bit and see what i can do.

unfortunately the focus rep i was in contact with was not much help, either, as he didn't have any other info to offer besides an exploded diagram that doesn't even picture the frame cable stops...

plus the diagram is labelled either disc or canti.... no idea

knightskid

by knightskid

I got the same frame as you, what the local bike shop did is the whole housing go through the clip, then out of the other side to the end of the brake caliper.
Attachments
5B6B1843-673E-42B9-8E03-8F94429438FD.jpeg
FB736ED4-DEC8-4398-809D-B853ED83A32A.jpeg

prebsy

by prebsy

got a cayo disc, running cable brakes but honestly don't see the need for these at all. I've got them sitting in a the spare parts bin until i sell the bike lol

octave

by octave

knightskid wrote:I got the same frame as you, what the local bike shop did is the whole housing go through the clip, then out of the other side to the end of the brake caliper.

is there a clip on the end if the housing that leads into the brake caliper? it looks like there is in the photo but i just want to confirm.
before seeing this message, i went ahead and ran the housing through the little plastic clip and into the head tube. it took some forcing but it went in.

my worry us that if i force clips in on both ends of the frame i will either not be able to remove the housing when it is time to change it, or that i will damage the frame try to get it unstuck!

knightskid

by knightskid

Yup there is. The fitting is just nice for brake housing. Without the clip, will feel loose and cause rattling when bike going through rough road.

octave

by octave

knightskid wrote:Yup there is. The fitting is just nice for brake housing. Without the clip, will feel loose and cause rattling when bike going through rough road.

have you tried to remove the clips since having them installed? that is my concern: how to get them back out because they are very tight!

by Weenie