Tubeless Ready Gumwall Tires

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

amngwlvs

by amngwlvs

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:26 pm
The limited Pro Ones were more tanwall than gumwall, and they were dyed that color.
Sorry, I guess I'm using tanwall and gumwall a bit interchangabley here. I wouldn't be particlaurly concerned if they were dyed though.
1llum4 wrote:
Wed Mar 13, 2019 11:53 pm
The only non-black sidewalls tubeless tire I could find is WTB exposure and it only comes in 30mm width
Thanks for the info. Unfortuantely 30mm wide is going to be too big for my TCR.
Dan112 wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:41 am
I was after tubeless in gumwalls and ended up emailing vittoria and speaking to specialized. Apparently on a tubeless tyre they add a sealant to the sidewall and this would make the gumwall look brown. This is why vittoria only sell them in grey or black and why the specialized tubeless cotton is only available in black.

After trying to mount gp5000 TL to my reynold assults I gave up even my LBS really struggled to get them on. So I went for specialized turbo cottons in the end as I wanted a tyre I could still get off my rim to put a tube in incase the sealant failed.

I think in my experience tubeless isn't there yet tyre manufacturers and wheel manufacturers need to work together. IMO you could have the best tubeless tyre but it's pretty pointless if you cant mount it.
Aha, that first paragraph pretty much answers my question exactly. I had a feeling that the gum/tan sidewalls may prevent the ability to be run tubeless.
upside wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 9:34 am
The Schwalbe Ones that have a tan sidewall is painted.... and those were the regular clinchers.. I just installed a set.
That still may very well be a solution for me. Where did you get them?
2018 Giant TCR Advanced Pro 0 Disc
2015 Giant Propel Advanced 2
2013 Trek 520

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ancker

by ancker

I have no issues with a 'gumwall' being painted, dyed, or some other magical process to make them that color. I just like the asthetic.

The message above is the first I've heard of the gp5000TL being difficult to mount...Hmm. Guess I'll stick with Hutchinson for now.

Sock3t

by Sock3t

ancker wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:36 pm
I have no issues with a 'gumwall' being painted, dyed, or some other magical process to make them that color. I just like the asthetic.

The message above is the first I've heard of the gp5000TL being difficult to mount...Hmm. Guess I'll stick with Hutchinson for now.
My rear 5000 TL went right on easily. The front was a little tougher but it wasn't bad at all.

With FSE wheels.

MattMay

by MattMay

ryanw wrote:Panaracer GravelKings (TLC) roll well and come in 23 / 26 / 28 / 32 & 38c (pictured below).

They're not gumwall but 'tan'.
Only the 32s, 38s and up are tubeless/tubeless compatible. I contacted them and they have no plans to offer tan/gumwall tubeless in road widths, not even 28, which I’d buy in a heartbeat.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ancker wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:36 pm

You should check the GP5K TL thread then. Quite a few of us are having incredible difficulty mounting the tires. Some of us have to use levers to get even the first bead over the hooks, and the second bead gets super tight with 15-20cm left to push over the hooks.

ChiZ01

by ChiZ01

everyone wants to avoid lawyers, tire company makes their tire extra tighter to prevent roll-off, rim company makes the rim a little bit larger to prevent roll-off. In the end, we get tires that cannot be mounted