C64 build question - parts in the little box...

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

frommel

by frommel

I am super excited to build my new C64 tonight and plan on posting the pictures and specs.
IMG_9435.jpeg
IMG_9436.jpeg
I went through the parts in the little box with the warranty card and the cool bottle cage bolts and had a few questions.
IMG_9459.jpeg
1) The two grommets on the left are probably for the hole in the seat tube close to the front derailleur attachment. Is that right?
2) What is that longer little tube in the middle of the picture? It is a hard plastic and came in the box right next to the stem cap. It had its own little hole in the foam packaging so it seems pretty important!
3) The washer on the right (corrected)... what is that for? I assume it goes on top of/seats in the top steering tube bearings?
Any advice much appreciated.
Last edited by frommel on Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:58 pm, edited 2 times in total.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

Is this a disc brake build? There are some bits that look different to mine like stem cap. The hard plastic piece number 2 is for the exit hole at the end of the chainstay. Its where the outer RD cable casing fits into the frame. There is a blanking grommet for the hole near the FD if you arent using electronic.

frommel

by frommel

Thanks wilwil.
Yes, I should have mentioned this is a disc build. It is the 2019 frame which came with an SR9 stem (I was a bit surprised to see that!) and the stem cap looks like it fits nicely on the SR9... what stem are you using?
For #2, makes sense. Thanks!
Any ideas about #3?

wilwil

by wilwil

Is the washer on the left also for the end of the chainstay on an electronic build the hole allows the wire to go through? My C64 is rim brake cable shift. I use Deda 100 alu stem and bars with gey and white minimal graphics that fit with the frame. Campag SR 12 speed.

frommel

by frommel

wilwil wrote:
Tue Mar 12, 2019 2:42 pm
Is the washer on the left also for the end of the chainstay on an electronic build the hole allows the wire to go through? My C64 is rim brake cable shift. I use Deda 100 alu stem and bars with gey and white minimal graphics that fit with the frame. Campag SR 12 speed.
wilwil, sorry... it was a bit early here on the west coast when I typed it. #3 was meant to say the 'washer on the right'. I corrected it now. It must be for the head tube, right?

Your build sounds awesome. Would love to see your bar and stem combo. I am putting on the new SRAM AXS groupset. I know some people would call it sacriledge but I am quite excited about it!

wilwil

by wilwil

Must be to do with headset but yours will be different to mine.

frommel

by frommel

Sounds like #3 is the compression ring! I found this post that explained the problems installing it... super helpful. viewtopic.php?f=3&t=153771&p=1434637&hilit=C64#p1434637

ymisyd

by ymisyd

What groupset are you using? For Shimano Di2 you don't need any of the three smaller grommets in the third picture (two of them are for blanking off the electronic groupset holes if you're using eTap). You will need the Shimano grommets, available separately (if using Di2).

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

frommel

by frommel

I will be installing SRAM AXS so will be plugging all the holes
Thanks!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk