Vittoria Graphene 2.0

Discuss light weight issues concerning road bikes & parts.
Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 am
G2.0 Corsa Controls are the grippiest race tire I’ve ever used.
I've seen a couple other people saying the 2.0 are very grippy. That trully interests me above RR for a hill tire, but the damn price is hard to swallow. Although lost skin is pricier - I crashed a few times from losing grip. Another thing would be, at least for me and the roads here, the 1.0 didn't work as a rear tire - cuts damn easy - Veloflex fares much better under my arse. Please let us know how the rear looks after a few hundred km more.

by Weenie

moonoi

by moonoi

Alexandrumarian wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 11:07 am
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon May 27, 2019 12:32 am
G2.0 Corsa Controls are the grippiest race tire I’ve ever used.
I've seen a couple other people saying the 2.0 are very grippy. That trully interests me above RR for a hill tire, but the damn price is hard to swallow. Although lost skin is pricier - I crashed a few times from losing grip. Another thing would be, at least for me and the roads here, the 1.0 didn't work as a rear tire - cuts damn easy - Veloflex fares much better under my arse. Please let us know how the rear looks after a few hundred km more.
I've put about 1500km on to a pair of Corsa Control 2.0 and they still look like new, ridden over mixed terrain in wet and dry. I have to say the wet weather grip is phenomenal and very confidence inspiring. There is just one tiny cut in the rear tread that happened at around 500km and thats it.
IMG_20190530_180741.jpg

ryanw

by ryanw

I've swapped out my 25c Corsa TLR's to 25c GP5K TLs on my S5D (have 28s on my Focus).

Upon removing the Corsas, no sealant was found? Put 40ml in each a month ago and no punctures or holes in rim tape. Very strange. Possibly porous sidewalls?

Straight away, I nearly stacked it with the Conti's on. They have nowhere near the braking capabilities of the Corsas. Faster in a straight line, but the Corsa's definitely handle better and brake better. They're also comfier at the same PSI but noiser.

Both tyres have their strengths and weaknesses, but the recent RR results of the clincher Corsas did put me off a little.
'16 Cervelo S5 - 6,650g RIP
'17 Focus Mares Force 1 - 7,170g
'19 Cervelo S5 Disc - 7,460g

IG: RhinosWorkshop - Check it out for all my custom builds :thumbup:

:!: Ride Southern Spain Cycling Holidays *£445 for 7 Nights* :!:

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

I wonder if the Rubino Pro 2.0 has the same nice grip. It is much more affordable (for some reason i can't bring myself to spend 90e on a single tubular)

zefs

by zefs

ryanw wrote:
Thu May 30, 2019 1:48 pm
I've swapped out my 25c Corsa TLR's to 25c GP5K TLs on my S5D (have 28s on my Focus).

Upon removing the Corsas, no sealant was found? Put 40ml in each a month ago and no punctures or holes in rim tape. Very strange. Possibly porous sidewalls?

Straight away, I nearly stacked it with the Conti's on. They have nowhere near the braking capabilities of the Corsas. Faster in a straight line, but the Corsa's definitely handle better and brake better. They're also comfier at the same PSI but noiser.

Both tyres have their strengths and weaknesses, but the recent RR results of the clincher Corsas did put me off a little.
Depends on sealant thickness/temps and air pressure you use. Had thick sealant dry within 2 weeks compared to 6 months of thinner one using same tire/temps and air pressures. So based on that I would go for:

Thick sealant: lower temps/if getting a lot of punctures (40ml +)
Thin sealant: high temps/if not getting a lot of punctures (20ml +)

Amount of sealant will depend on tire/rim combination etc but personally I don't use more than 20ml in the front as I never had a puncture in 4 years of riding (tubed and tubeless). Also use air compressor to seat the tires then deflate and add sealant and not the opposite way.

moonoi

by moonoi

An update on my Corsa Control Graphene 2.0, after 1600km the sidewall blew out on the rear, made for a very exciting end to my ride this morning. Disappointed because I love these types, so much grip and give you so much confidence, but not sure if I'd trust another one...going to have to think about whether this might be a one off, or of I shouldn't risk giving another one a go. Would have been a different story of it had been the front one that went though.

Sent from my Phone 2 using Tapatalk

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

moonoi wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:14 am
blew out on the rear, made for a very exciting end to my ride
Holy duck! Does it have any sharpness at the bead there enve style? I was saving money for a wto 60 set so i could take advantage of latest fast tl tires such as the corsa speed tl but seeing this makes want buy tubular again.

And another thing, i think vittoria claims the controls are more supple than the regular ones. That claim never made sense to me but now i wonder if they make the sidewalls thinner.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Zipps do not have sharp bead hooks like ENVEs.

spdntrxi

by spdntrxi

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 8:04 am
Zipps do not have sharp bead hooks like ENVEs.
maybe enve is not the issue :noidea:

hey good luck at Cascade

zefs

by zefs

@moonoi what tire pressures were you using?

From Vittoria's site:
https://www.vittoria.com/eu/road-tire
Vittoria tubeless-ready tires using cotton casing share the same production process and properties as the tubular construction, with the addition of a stronger bead material (Zylon). For optimal safety, this construction is designed to withstand 18 bar of pressure on a standard alloy tubeless rim.
Alexandrumarian wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 7:48 am
And another thing, i think vittoria claims the controls are more supple than the regular ones. That claim never made sense to me but now i wonder if they make the sidewalls thinner.
Yeah doesn't make sense for a "winter" tire to have thinner sidewalls or be more supple. Unless they use more cotton or graphene in it.

Alexandrumarian

by Alexandrumarian

Thinking some more about it, started to make sense as the Controls are a race tire for hard conditions (Roubaix, rain etc) rather than a Gatorskin winter gardenhose type. So to counteract the stiffness and weight of the extra rubber they could have used a thin sidewall, for example the same as in a Speed. Maybe that would have enlarged the contact patch as well? But looking at the BRR test, the Control 1.0 is actually bit thicker than Corsa. I kinda of doubt they went the opposite in 2.0 and made them thinner.

zefs

by zefs

Here it says:
"Ensures low rolling resistance and comfort, graphene 2.0 supports the shoulder tread while further helping to reduce punctures"

So maybe on the Control it extends further or has bigger layer I guess, although most of the comfort comes from the cotton casing.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

moonoi wrote:
Sun Jun 02, 2019 6:14 am
An update on my Corsa Control Graphene 2.0, after 1600km the sidewall blew out on the rear, made for a very exciting end to my ride this morning. Disappointed because I love these types, so much grip and give you so much confidence, but not sure if I'd trust another one...going to have to think about whether this might be a one off, or of I shouldn't risk giving another one a go. Would have been a different story of it had been the front one that went though.

Can you take some pics of that tire off the rim? That looks awfully similar to the slice on my friends Corsa G+ that came from his Enve's. His didn't blow out, but I'm sure if given a few more miles, it would have. Another friend of mine had some similar happen on his Corsa and he was on Zipps byt he struck a HUGE pothole that causd it. Never had any other issues.

moonoi

by moonoi

Sorry I left the tyre at the shop that a kind gentleman in a pickup drove me to, 20km out of his way, to get back on the road. Didn't have anywhere to bring it with me for the remainder of the ride back to the hotel.

On the inside it looked like a nice neat cut just above the bead, the weird thing is, that it was smooth tarmac, no holes in the road just let go with an almighty bang, temp was 36 centigrade so it shouldn't be due to high temperatures overpressurizing the tyre either (ridden in far hotter conditions, for longer without issue before)

Regarding tyre pressure, running 100 at the rear and 90 at the front,

torob

by torob

Having now tried these back to back vs. Turbo Cottons, TCs TCs TCs.
Using Tapatalk

by Weenie