Vittoria Graphene 2.0

Wheels, Tires, Tubes, Tubeless, Tubs, Spokes, Hookless, Hubs, and more!

Moderator: robbosmans

Forum rules
The spirit of this board is to compile and organize wheels and tires related discussions.

If a new wheel tech is released, (say for example, TPU tubes, a brand new tire, or a new rim standard), feel free to start the discussion in the popular "Road". Your topic will eventually be moved here!
Meyercord

by Meyercord

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 3:10 pm
Meyercord wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 1:57 pm
I was wrong. This is 560miles or 900km
How much climbing and how big are you? Do much climbing out of the saddle? I can destroy a tire pretty quickly if I am climbing anything steep and need to be out of the saddle for extended stretches.
56kg, 60m over 40km. I’m thinking the wear is due to the unsealed concrete road surface I’ve been riding on. Oddly it seemed to go from zero wear to where I’m at now overnight.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Meyercord wrote:
Just out of interest how much had you done at the time of the original comment?

You said just under 1000km then, now a couple of hundred miles later it's 900km total...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

1415chris

by 1415chris

You must ride on very terrible surface. Over here in south-east England we have, apart more and more potholes, quite rough tarmac generally. My Vittorias G+ mk1and Control are not different from other this type of tyres I am, have been riding on, at least twice more mileage with me almost twice bigger than you ;)

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Karvalo wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:17 pm
Meyercord wrote:
Just out of interest how much had you done at the time of the original comment?

You said just under 1000km then, now a couple of hundred miles later it's 900km total...
just under 1000km comment was said with 818 +/- 20

photo shown was with 901 +/- 20

or so. 80-100km difference over a 6 day span.

1415chris wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 6:29 pm
You must ride on very terrible surface. Over here in south-east England we have, apart more and more potholes, quite rough tarmac generally. My Vittorias G+ mk1and Control are not different from other this type of tyres I am, have been riding on, at least twice more mileage with me almost twice bigger than you ;)
I really think it's the unsealed/ rough concrete surface coupled with low usage as, only foot traffic and bicycles are allowed on it.

cveks

by cveks

how good is speed comparing to corsa 1.0 and other tires? Anyone have results from same strava segments? I know wind is also big game changer but anything yet in real life?

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Gee, i thought i was light at 59kg.

I bet it was the concrete also. Chews car tires at a crazy rate... real sandpaper.

I also wonder about tire pressures given the distribution of your wear. High pressures for your weight could accelerate things. 65psi give or take should be plenty for 25-27mm tires (measured).
Meyercord wrote:
Tue Apr 30, 2019 5:55 pm
Mr.Gib wrote:
Meyercord wrote:
How much climbing and how big are you? Do much climbing out of the saddle? I can destroy a tire pretty quickly if I am climbing anything steep and need to be out of the saddle for extended stretches.
56kg, 60m over 40km. I’m thinking the wear is due to the unsealed concrete road surface I’ve been riding on. Oddly it seemed to go from zero wear to where I’m at now overnight.

Meyercord

by Meyercord

80-90 range unless it’s raining and I’ll drop it further. Any lower and steering becomes very vague/ squishy. On normal roads I imagine it would feel fine.
RocketRacing wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:24 am

I bet it was the concrete also. Chews car tires at a crazy rate... real sandpaper.

I also wonder about tire pressures given the distribution of your wear. High pressures for your weight could accelerate things. 65psi give or take should be plenty for 25-27mm tires (measured).
Meyercord wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:
Meyercord wrote:

RossLB

by RossLB

Meyercord wrote:
That doesn't look like much wear to me, and about what I'd expect for any tire after 1000km or so. Looks like it has plenty of life left.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Meyercord wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 4:25 pm
80-90 range unless it’s raining and I’ll drop it further. Any lower and steering becomes very vague/ squishy. On normal roads I imagine it would feel fine.
For your light weight, you can get away with a lot less pressure for the same rolling resistance. The bike rolling resistance dot com data for example is with a 90kg rider. For the equivalent performance, you can literally reduce the pressures by the same percent (about 40%). So their 100psi, is 60psi for you. You literally need about 1/2 the pressure of someone twice your weight.

have a buddy drop your pressures to 65 or so when you are not looking. Or do it 5psi per ride. Another way is to drop the pressures until they feel squishy/bouncy under power, and then go 5 psi above that.

Your grip will increase, and the larger contact patches will be great for tire wear. You will also be faster over everything but the best tarmac. You will feel slower however, because the brain equates speed with high frequency vibration (wasted energy... that you are producing). Smooth is faster.

“We” still run pressures too high despite good evidence otherwise. The pros are figuring it out (and usually lying about it on race day), but it was a big mental game to get them to accept the change. Blame habit, high frequency vibration = fast, and rollers and the rolling resistance data they produce.

Meyercord

by Meyercord

I’ve done it, I don’t enjoy pinch flats, or how the bike feels in corners below about 80.
RocketRacing wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 12:57 am
Meyercord wrote:
For your light weight, you can get away with a lot less pressure for the same rolling resistance. The bike rolling resistance dot com data for example is with a 90kg rider. For the equivalent performance, you can literally reduce the pressures by the same percent (about 40%). So their 100psi, is 60psi for you. You literally need about 1/2 the pressure of someone twice your weight.

have a buddy drop your pressures to 65 or so when you are not looking. Or do it 5psi per ride. Another way is to drop the pressures until they feel squishy/bouncy under power, and then go 5 psi above that.

Your grip will increase, and the larger contact patches will be great for tire wear. You will also be faster over everything but the best tarmac. You will feel slower however, because the brain equates speed with high frequency vibration (wasted energy... that you are producing). Smooth is faster.

“We” still run pressures too high despite good evidence otherwise. The pros are figuring it out (and usually lying about it on race day), but it was a big mental game to get them to accept the change. Blame habit, high frequency vibration = fast, and rollers and the rolling resistance data they produce.

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Meyercord wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:49 am
I’ve done it, I don’t enjoy pinch flats, or how the bike feels in corners below about 80.
Hey, fair enough, your comfort/confidence is number 1.

But as the folks at slowtwitch like to say... “i hope you will be competing in my category.”

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Oh dude for crits, definitely lower, but for where I ride daily I can’t make it five miles without pinch flats at lower pressure.
RocketRacing wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:16 am
Meyercord wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 3:49 am
Hey, fair enough, your comfort/confidence is number 1.

But as the folks at slowtwitch like to say... “i hope you will be competing in my category.”

RocketRacing

by RocketRacing

Meyercord wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:41 am
Oh dude for crits, definitely lower, but for where I ride daily I can’t make it five miles without pinch flats at lower pressure.
That is some crazy pinch flats for a rider at your weight. Your roads sound like a mess.

Go to a 28c, Maby even 30! Drop your pressures 10-20psi to keep things consistent, and you should still reduce pinch flats significantly. If memory serves, a 25 to 30c tire requires 75% more force to pinch flat a tire.

Also, it is not uncommon for a pump to vary pressures by 10psi+. Make sure your pump is good. Maybe you are actually running pressures lower than you think.

Have a read here: long read, but it discusses how the rought stuff was faster with lower pressures, but the key was the wider tires as they are far less prone to pinch flats. It also discusses the challanges of pro rider mentality/habit, and selling them on the benefits of what might not seem logical in their brain.
https://blog.silca.cc/road-to-roubaix-t ... -story-1-0

Meyercord

by Meyercord

Thanks man I really appreciate it and will look into it.
RocketRacing wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 5:53 am
Meyercord wrote:
Fri May 03, 2019 4:41 am
That is some crazy pinch flats for a rider at your weight. Your roads sound like a mess.

Go to a 28c, Maby even 30! Drop your pressures 10-20psi to keep things consistent, and you should still reduce pinch flats significantly. If memory serves, a 25 to 30c tire requires 75% more force to pinch flat a tire.

Also, it is not uncommon for a pump to vary pressures by 10psi+. Make sure your pump is good. Maybe you are actually running pressures lower than you think.

Have a read here: long read, but it discusses how the rought stuff was faster with lower pressures, but the key was the wider tires as they are far less prone to pinch flats. It also discusses the challanges of pro rider mentality/habit, and selling them on the benefits of what might not seem logical in their brain.
https://blog.silca.cc/road-to-roubaix-t ... -story-1-0

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cveks

by cveks

Meyercord wrote:
RocketRacing wrote:
Thu May 02, 2019 2:24 am

Meyercord wrote:
Mr.Gib wrote:

I run tubs at 115-120 psi , my weight is something around 88 kgs.